WLtoys Q696 2-axis gimbal, Full HD, 5.8 GHz FPV, Telemetry, Altitude Hold Quadcopter - Page 2 - RC Groups
May 01, 2017, 07:11 PM

WWToys Q696-A - A Nice 2-Axis Gimbal Toy Grade Drone

I just received my Q696-A last week, but haven't found the time to fly it. I got it from GearBest. As usual, their packaging is terrible. They just wrapped the factory box in brown paper. Box arrived with prop nuts poking out of the box. Terrible, but normal for GearBest.

From my bench test, it appears that the 2-axis gimbal works pretty well and is smooth. It only weighs 71 grams, including the gimbal, camera, mount, memory card, and wiring. That is extremely light. I've been too busy to get out there and fly it, but I am excited to try. Just as an FYI, the camera mount is identical to the Q303, and the gimbal physically fits the Q303 with no trouble, though I'm not sure about the wiring. Props from the Q303 are also exactly the same.

If anyone wanting one, or with one on order, has any questions, or want other pictures, let me know.
Last edited by DavidSheets; May 01, 2017 at 07:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2017, 07:31 PM
Here is a gimbal video of the WLToys Q696-A;

WLToys Q696-A gimbal video #1 (0 min 10 sec)
May 02, 2017, 12:18 AM
@DavidSheets NICE !
Now add some camera footage
Latest blog entry: KingKong GT110 Review
May 02, 2017, 02:32 AM
Pretty cool to see this entering the toygrade quads; wonder if this camera+gimbal will become available as spare (and how much it'll be) and people will likely figure out how to use it on other platforms
May 02, 2017, 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSheets
Here is a gimbal video of the WLToys Q696-A;

https://youtu.be/433Bain_5tg

This gimbal works much better than the AOSenma CG035 one
Latest blog entry: Youbi XV-130 130MM FPV Racer
May 02, 2017, 07:40 AM
I just noticed that the gimbal mount has damper locks inside the dampers. That's not something that you typically see in a toy grade unit.
May 02, 2017, 05:30 PM
Here is a short video showing the Q696-A in action. The gimbal seems to work nice, though there is some jello. I think the way the gimbal is connected to the quad is the issue. I will place some rubber under it, and try again.

WLToys Q696-A (3 min 0 sec)
May 05, 2017, 10:51 AM
Seemed exciting on paper but didn't last long in reality.
Too heavy and too much stuff for a cheap brushed model to handle.

New Phantom XY Quadcopter Crashed and Burned! WLtoys Q696 (4 min 37 sec)

Just an exploded diode and a bad motor on the other arm.
Last edited by Originalas; May 05, 2017 at 12:30 PM.
Jun 02, 2017, 01:54 PM
Does anyone know if you can buy the gimbal and camera separately? Would be nice to try and stick it to my current cheap drone rather than buy a new one.
Jun 03, 2017, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisnpod
Does anyone know if you can buy the gimbal and camera separately? Would be nice to try and stick it to my current cheap drone rather than buy a new one.
They will become available as spare parts after some time, usually it takes ~6 months from when WLtoys has started to sale the quadcopter.
Jun 13, 2017, 07:15 AM
The WLtoys Q696-A (Full FPV version with camera and gimbal) is now on flash sale for just 95.99$, just 100 units in stock, it also comes with pre-paid taxes and customs so if you are from the following countries you won't need to pay for anything extra to receive it: UK, FR, DE, ES, IT ,Belgium ,Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Ireland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden
Jun 16, 2017, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTronic9000
The WLtoys Q696-A (Full FPV version with camera and gimbal) is now on flash sale for just 95.99$, just 100 units in stock, it also comes with pre-paid taxes and customs so if you are from the following countries you won't need to pay for anything extra to receive it: UK, FR, DE, ES, IT ,Belgium ,Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Ireland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden
An incredible price for this quad. I bought it on the same site about 1 month ago at 110 $ grrrrr
Jul 23, 2017, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTronic9000
They will become available as spare parts after some time, usually it takes ~6 months from when WLtoys has started to sale the quadcopter.
Q696 spare parts became avaiable at wl-toys.com and at AliExpress (limited choice). Gimbal equipped with the cheapest wifi camera (they do not sell gimbal separetely) costs $54 and 5.8G 1080P FPV Camera with gimbal - $80.
Last edited by macio11; Jul 23, 2017 at 08:32 AM.
Jul 24, 2017, 12:59 AM
Nice to see that parts have become available already.
Aug 21, 2017, 08:30 AM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds

Battery & Charger Upgrade??

Does anyone know of a better way to charge the proprietary batteries for the Q696-A. These batteries take a long time to charge. I'd like to use my Hitec X-4 charger, but would have to make some kind of adapter. Has anyone taken the proprietary batter apart? If so, some pictures would be really great.