WLtoys Q696 2-axis gimbal, Full HD, 5.8 GHz FPV, Telemetry, Altitude Hold Quadcopter - RC Groups
Mar 21, 2017, 04:50 AM
New Product

WLtoys Q696 2-axis gimbal, Full HD, 5.8 GHz FPV, Telemetry, Altitude Hold Quadcopter

The WLtoys Q696 is one of the weirdest quadcopters that this producer made until now and that is easy to understand as the WLtoys is often associated with budget R/C. Well in 2017 WLtoys is till pushing out brushed motor quadcopters but it loads them with advanced systems like Full HD camera, FPV, altitude hold, real time telemetry and a 2-axis gimbal ! Yes you have read that correctly, the quadcopter will come with a gimbal that will stabilize the camera !

What is also interesting is that the declared flight time is a whooping 13 minutes, a very good time for a toy grade quad that has a camera and gimbal. The flight time is to be tested but it's definitely achievable as the Q323 from WLtoys is doing 15+ minutes and uses same brushed technology.

The included transmitter is also upgraded and has a new look in comparison with the old WLtoys controllers and it has a more stylish look, but the improvements don't end here. The new transmitter has built in real time telemetry and it will show: aircraft battery level, aircraft speed, altitude and flight duration. An uncertainty is related to aircraft speed as there is no GPS onboard so that will have to wait for proper testing !

The WLtoys will come in several options where the most advanced one is the "A" model and it will include a 5.8GHz FPV KIT for real time video transmission. The 2-axis gimbal beside pitch and roll stabilization supports tilt control from the transmission which is also a needed and useful option.

Last but not least, the power for this quadcopter is provided by a 2S 7.4V 2600mAh battery which comes as a proprietary cell design made to snap fit the quadcopter. This design is not the best as it implies buying only original cells at higher cost. Another problem would be the availability of the spare batteries, which for WLtoys is always a problem as spare parts are released in average 6 months after the release of a product.

Full product specifications, versions, pricing

Q696 : no gimbal and no camera.
Estimated price: 70$
Available from here: https://goo.gl/gosbs0

Q696 - A: with gimbal, 5.8GHz 5MP FPV camera and FPV monitor.
Estimated price: 140$
Available from here: https://goo.gl/syR3uX
Alternative seller: https://goo.gl/gTDBPK

Q696 - E: with gimbal and 2MP WiFi camera.
Estimated price: 105$
Available from here: https://goo.gl/9OHgMq

Q696 - D: with gimbal and ordinary 5MP camera (no FPV).
Estimated price: 115$
Available from here: https://goo.gl/Puxglw

Full specifications:

- Gimbal: 2-axis gimbal and 5Mp remotely controlled camera with video and photo capability.
- 5.8G FPV AIO camera allows real-time video footage and display on the included 4.3" LCD screen with built in FPV receiver. Video Resolution: 1280 x 1080P 30fps (Full HD 4:3) and 1600 x 1200 photos (4:3 format).
- 2.4GHz 4CH dual-way transmitter with telemetry that enables you to know the real-time voltage, speed, height and flight duration.
- Air pressure (BARO) altitude hold. The UAV can maintain a certain height above the ground thanks to the high-precision barometer.
- Headless mode to allows beginners to ignore the heading of the drone, and simplify the user control.
- Various functions such as: one key return, 3D flips, auto takeoff and landing.
- Plug-in 7.4V 2600mAh 20C LiPo battery for up to 13 minutes' high-speed flying

Package Contents:
1 x Aircraft,
1 x Transmitter,
1 x Power Adapter,
1 x Balance Charger Box,
1 x 7.4V 2600mAh 20C LiPo Battery,
8 x Propeller,
4 x Propeller Guard,
1 x Gimbal ( with Camera ),
1 x 5.8G FPV Monitor,
1 x Antenna,
2 x Screw,
1 x 4GB Micro SD Card,
1 x Card Reader,
1 x USB Charging Cable for FPV Monitor,
1 x English Manual

Product weight: 0.4550 kg
Package weight: 1.0500 kg
Product size (L x W x H): 50.00 x 50.00 x 15.50 cm / 19.69 x 19.69 x 6.1 inches
Package size (L x W x H): 51.00 x 37.30 x 17.50 cm / 20.08 x 14.69 x 6.89 inches
Last edited by TechTronic9000; Apr 07, 2017 at 04:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2017, 04:51 AM
#Reserved1
Latest blog entry: KingKong GT110 Review
Mar 21, 2017, 04:51 AM
#Reserved2
Mar 21, 2017, 08:09 AM
Looks interesting! If that gimbal is any good ...

Controller looks nice and less 'toy-ish'

But how can they claim a 5MP camera, when its pictures are just 1600x1200 (= 1.9MP)?
Mar 21, 2017, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
But how can they claim a 5MP camera, when its pictures are just 1600x1200 (= 1.9MP)?
Typical Chinese specs.. I wonder how they haven't made it "4K" I also wonder how the telemetry will tell the speed of the aircraft without a GPS Hopefully I will investigate the claims when it would be available. I would have also preferred a 16:9 video format as 4:3 is kind of obsolete for regular usage.
Mar 21, 2017, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTronic9000
Typical Chinese specs.. I wonder how they haven't made it "4K" I also wonder how the telemetry will tell the speed of the aircraft without a GPS Hopefully I will investigate the claims when it would be available. I would have also preferred a 16:9 video format as 4:3 is kind of obsolete for regular usage.
There's an indication for 'flight duration'

Yeah, 4:3 is old skool

Another mistake (to be found in red directly under the controller): "Mode 1 (left hand throttle) is the default mode" ... that should be mode 2
Mar 24, 2017, 11:57 PM
Leo
Look forward to hear more about it.
Mar 26, 2017, 02:01 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diydrone
Look forward to hear more about it.
Same here. Looks like an interesting model.
Mar 27, 2017, 01:43 AM
Apparently the release day is estimated around 15 April.
Apr 07, 2017, 04:39 AM
Great news, the A version with 5.8GHz FPV is now available, it's stocked in EU and US warehouses and I have already a 10$ off coupon for it. Use the code "TTWL696" to get the A version from HERE, also check the warehouse option first.

Apr 07, 2017, 08:05 AM
Looks like a nice package, but ... have my doubts about that gimbal.

Have a look at this production-video at around 1:56 (and further 5:15 too): the gimball hangs limb to one side

WLtoys Q696-A RC Quadcopter (5 min 33 sec)

Anybody seen actual tests/reviews already?

BTW: it says "Phantom" on the quad, but this isn't mentioned in all titles
Last edited by Pixelpeter; Apr 07, 2017 at 08:51 AM.
Apr 07, 2017, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
Anybody seen actual tests/reviews already?
It has just became available, I will review it hopefully soon
Apr 11, 2017, 05:14 AM
My Q696 is preparing to lift of from China and in 2-3 weeks hopefully will land in for a full review. Until then it's now also available HERE and I have obtained a discount for it, using the coupon "Q696" the price is 119.99$ (for the Q696-A Full FPV KIT version).
Apr 23, 2017, 12:56 PM

WLToys Q696-A 2 Axis Gimbal FPV 1080p Camera Drone Flight Test Review

The first toy grade brushed motor drone that comes with a two axis stabilized camera gimbal. Also includes 1080p camera, telemetry, and 5.8Ghz FPV system. You can get it here $47 off with coupon LQPWQA

and here is its flight demonstration
WLToys Q696-A 2 Axis Gimbal FPV 1080p Camera Drone Flight Test Review (20 min 48 sec)

Pros
- The first toy grade brushed motor quadcopter to include a stabilized two axis camera gimbal. The gimbal actually works well. Gimbal can also be remotely moved up and down.
- Telemetry of battery power, altitude, and velocity. Altitude info from onboard barometer, and velocity info seems to be calculated from the accelerometers.
- Includes a 1080p HD camera with SD card and USB card reader.
- Also includes 5.8 Ghz FPV transmitter and receiver/monitor. FPV transmits on 5.8 Ghz analog band E4 (5645 Mhz), so FPV goggles can be used if unsatisfied with provided FPV monitor.
- Total flight time from the 2600mah battery was 8 minutes 23 seconds (including 1 minute 13 seconds of warmup flight that I did before starting the review). This was the battery's first flight, so it hasn't been conditioned yet.
- Automatic takeoff and landing.
- Headless mode and one key return.
- Very bright LEDs. Great night flier.

Cons
- Not cheap. The included stabilized gimbal, 1080p camera, and 5.8 Ghz FPV systems really bump up the price.
- Proprietary battery and charger.
- Brushed motor quadcopter. Will eventually require replacement of motors.
- Won't allow flips with the camera and gimbal attached.
- One key return is standard toy grade return (backwards parallel flying of takeoff heading), and is NOT a true return to home and landing.
- Telemetry battery power is somewhat inaccurate. Also very little time between low battery warning beep and automatic descent of quadcopter. But the quadcopter does descend to a landing on low battery (doesn't fall from the sky like a brick).
- Over 250 grams. Will require FAA registration in the USA. It takes $5 and 5 minutes to register with the FAA here
- Video jello. Props will likely need balancing to reduce. Here's how
How to balance a prop for FPV to remove video 'wobbles' (9 min 39 sec)
Last edited by t00nz843z; Apr 23, 2017 at 02:06 PM.
Apr 24, 2017, 12:55 AM
@t00nz843z
Thanks for sharing that, it definitely shows a lot about the Q696-A, I'm still waiting for mine