Jul 30, 2018, 07:11 PM
Back home from W/C F5B & F5D 2018. Great job, opening ceremony party, closing banquet !
Beautiful flying site, more than ample practice on course, real time scoring displayed in the pits.
Weather held, windy on final day. Great job Ken and to everyone working pylons and timing scoring, starting-Thank you all. Some fun was had. Charles Brown , team USA, F5D
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2018, 07:31 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Would have enjoyed being at that competition but wow, that had to be an expensive trip!
Last edited by tic; Jul 31, 2018 at 08:45 AM.
Jul 31, 2018, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Maneuver
Guys, it was awesome. Hospitality and energy of Japanese organizers 2nd to none. We gave 5 minute breaks to distance course officials and they had to chase me down to restart on time. We moved the distance course 3 times until we had it perfect. A proposed 4th move was thwarted by drawn samurai
Swords. Weather perfect, floods a week or so earlier not an issue. People in Japan super hospitable and patient even without any English. Restaurant results always a surprise, but performance of Gerben Van Berkum not a surprise: wire to wire lead and win of both Takikawa Cup and WC. Way to go Boss!

Performance of juniors Lucas Cantoni and Martin Neudorfer adding to the team standings pushed the Austrians past the Swiss by less than 1 leg! This flipped on the last round with the Swiss formerly on top. Team USA collected all the bad luck with a couple of thrown magnets and one flaky controller. The Japanese team unlucky with models as Hiroshi Kojima managed to break both early in the contest. 10 year old Owen Solanov of Australia a future force to be reconed with, getting 43's with a tame 8S setup.

Not quite sure how much was on webcam as internet not that great out there, no WiFi ! Thanks to Gen Katayama for the Internet live results and running the old Shultz system in DOS. The specially designed Japanese telemetry worked pretty well. We had a few broken antennas for me to fix in the evenings, but we made that pretty easy to do. Our WM display also worked OK even though only tested for first time in Japan.

That's all for now, off to Tokyo for a couple days then home to reality.

Steve P. Manganelli, 2018 Japan FAI F-5B Contest Director
Was watching the scores on a morning via the F5B live link also. Glad to see the system worked well during the whole competition. Not sure how many people were connected at any one time but it seems the system stayed responsive.

The link to the project is here

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...y#post35912508

if anybody wants to build one.

Steve, any possibility you can send me the details of the WMin protocol and how it connects to the ground units. We can probably incorporate the readings into the web display unit.

Thanks,

Mark.
Last edited by Mark Haigh; Jul 31, 2018 at 07:24 AM.
Jul 31, 2018, 08:33 AM
I'd like to add my congratulations to Gerben for finishing on top in both the F5B pre-contest and the Worlds contest.
He showed great consistency in varying conditions with very few mistakes.

Well done Gerben!

Lenny
Jul 31, 2018, 08:38 AM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Now let's hear the after hours Geisha girl stories!... J/K.. is there still such a thing?
Jul 31, 2018, 10:38 AM
BANNED!!!
What happened to the Germans? Why didn't they participate?
Jul 31, 2018, 10:47 AM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970
I'd like to add my congratulations to Gerben for finishing on top in both the F5B pre-contest and the Worlds contest.
He showed great consistency in varying conditions with very few mistakes.

Well done Gerben!

Lenny
Congrats to you as well. Great showing. You truly are the electric soaring man!! See you at the 5J TS!!
Jul 31, 2018, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Now let's hear the after hours Geisha girl stories!... J/K.. is there still such a thing?
The name you looking for is Tiger woman.

Geisha is a already taken girl(second wife as they call it).
Aug 02, 2018, 07:06 AM
What can I say, our Japanese friends sure know how to organise a memorable event.
Some might say I'm biased, ones who know me better know I am not one to hide any criticism.
However in this case all that remain are compliments to Ken and his team for hosting a great event. Seems all had a good time doing what they love, flying F5B/D planes. A smoothly organised comp, good food, good entertainment, well done!
Aug 04, 2018, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soholingo
What happened to the Germans? Why didn't they participate?
The Germans all use the Graupner "Tray transmitters" from their sponsor, I think, and they have not been approved in Japan, The Jeti DC-16 "Tray transmitter" is also not approved in Japan, so the "Jeti DC pilots had to change to the DS version, except one of the Czech pilots in the Cup:

My post is only to answer the question raised, and not to blame anybody, please.

Tommy
Aug 05, 2018, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Persson
The Jeti DC-16 "Tray transmitter" is also not approved in Japan, so the "Jeti DC pilots had to change to the DS version, except one of the Czech pilots in the Cup:
Curious how 1 managed to get away with it....
Aug 05, 2018, 06:16 PM
Worked with Jeti to find a solution, or so I heard. And Jeti helped out and supported his pilot apparently. DS14 was also allowed.
Aug 06, 2018, 01:38 AM
Had the same problem in 1988 and 2000. We could not use our 35MHz stuff in the USA. Ripmax were very helpful and provided a solution.
Aug 12, 2018, 11:07 PM
I have photographic proof that in at least electric powered models there is serious collusion between some Americans and the Russians! In this previously unreleased picture Sergey and Sergey can be clearly seen colluding with Jeff and Lenny while on the side lines in Japan

The collusion runs deep----The Russians send us planes and we send them motors and controllers---collusion on the highest level!

Steve Neu---one of the colluders.
Aug 13, 2018, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu
I have photographic proof that in at least electric powered models there is serious collusion between some Americans and the Russians! In this previously unreleased picture Sergey and Sergey can be clearly seen colluding with Jeff and Lenny while on the side lines in Japan

The collusion runs deep----The Russians send us planes and we send them motors and controllers---collusion on the highest level!

Steve Neu---one of the colluders.

Fake News

Quick Reply