Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 25, 2017, 12:33 AM
The 1st Sofaman
@localfiend I got kits in stock! PM if interested.

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2017, 06:19 PM

PCA 2 with four blades

PCA 2 maiden flight with 4 blades. (5 min 58 sec)
Last edited by sherpa; Mar 26, 2017 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Thanks to Emilio and Paco for your helps .
Mar 26, 2017, 07:48 PM
The 1st Sofaman
So inspirational....well built and well flown Jesus!!!!
Congrats seņor!
Mar 26, 2017, 08:32 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Nice landing! Those blades look amazing!
Mar 28, 2017, 03:48 PM
Thanks Dave and Joe.
I saw yours video several times before atempt to fly muy model . Martin have another PCA 2 with four blades and it fly fantastic too.
Mar 29, 2017, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofaman NJ
@localfiend I got kits in stock! PM if interested.

Dave
Haha. I have yet to attempt a Balsa model. Most of my stuff is either foam or more recently 3D printed. It would be awesome, but it's probably a bit too ambitious for a first wood build.

I'm curious about CG on one of these. How much does the actual wing factor into things?
Mar 29, 2017, 04:38 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Thats a great question!
The weight varies. With a prerotatator...I would say 10-11 pounds. No pre rotator saves you weight. You can build a 9 lb with a two stroke in the nose. Four stroke mounted, 10 lbs. Electric with six cell 5000 is 10 lbs.

The wing: I designed that wing for maximum lift. A very nice high lift airfoil was used. Large ailerons...effective ONLY when air flow over them. In landing....goose the throttle on and off to let the aircraft slow down....but goosing it back and forth gets some airflow over the control surfaces.

CG: We go with with a hang angle instead of a CG. 11 to 14 degrees are what you are looking for as you hang the autogyro by the rotor shaft with the blades mounted. The reference flat surface I use is the bottom of the elevator. That surface should also also be used in seating the wing to make sure they are both parallel.

I love this stuff!!!!
Mar 29, 2017, 04:51 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Also.....I did not design the wings to be a load bearing wing as to be used with real shocks. I depend on the wire landing gear to absorb the shock. The "shocks" on the wings are simply telescoping brass....loose fitting so they don't bind.

Also.....using string to strengthen wing to fuselage....going through the fuselage and attaching to the other side wing and then going through the under carriage and back up to the wing. All points joined together will strengthen the whole aircraft. In this thought....a light shock absorber could be used. There are some ready made shocks that could be fitted, but the string tensioners must be used. Just a thought. I plan on doing all the above on my next PCA-2.

Below....I hope you can somewhat understand the wire support system. I feel that in doing this mod, it should give the airframe a lot of support.
Last edited by Sofaman NJ; Mar 29, 2017 at 11:57 PM.
Mar 29, 2017, 09:12 PM
that is great, glad it was a success!
Mar 30, 2017, 04:43 PM
Yesterday I flew my Kellett. The model took off softly and by right. Then I started a tailwind turn while using trim down. Suddenly I could see that something was wrong. I could not control the autogyro and with a sharp turn it hit the ground. I could see that I had lost a screw from the head control. Fortunately it did not break much that's why I want to fly again in two weeks. Rule Murphy.
Mar 30, 2017, 04:46 PM
Kellet afer takeoff
Mar 30, 2017, 04:49 PM
Kellet afer takeoff and the lost screw .
Mar 30, 2017, 04:55 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Very fortunate that it not crunch more. Your flying skills save ya!!!
Mar 31, 2017, 03:33 AM
Great looking models and flying Jesus

Hope the Kellet is easy to fix,and looking forward to the flight video.

Joe