Jesus DelGado's PCA-2 - RC Groups
Mar 19, 2017, 05:09 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Yippee!

Jesus DelGado's PCA-2

Jesus Delgado of Madrid Spain has built one of the cleanest best flying PCA-2 I have ever seen. I can post the particulars of his gorgeous build later. He fabricated a very impressive pre-rotator and also flies 4 blades. Adjustments to motor thrust was 10 degrees down to keep it from nosing up. He will fill me in on what else he did, I will add to this post. You may find it helpful.

Also.....spring is in the air! I have been selling kits and plans.....but mostly outside the US. Honestly, I am just about done with this plan and kit business. Cost me more money in the long run. BUT, it was a labor of love. Sites will go down soon. So, if I can do anything for you, don't hesitate.

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2017, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofaman NJ
Jesus Delgado of Madrid Spain has built one of the cleanest best flying PCA-2 I have ever seen. I can post the particulars of his gorgeous build later. He fabricated a very impressive pre-rotator and also flies 4 blades. Adjustments to motor thrust was 10 degrees down to keep it from nosing up. He will fill me in on what else he did, I will add to this post. You may find it helpful.

Also.....spring is in the air! I have been selling kits and plans.....but mostly outside the US. Honestly, I am just about done with this plan and kit business. Cost me more money in the long run. BUT, it was a labor of love. Sites will go down soon. So, if I can do anything for you, don't hesitate.

Dave
Very cool. I'm interested in any info you've got on the pre-rotator. Gonna be installing my own version into my experimental build soon.

The PCA-2 is the first real Autogyro I want to build after I get past my first experiments. I'm gonna have to see if I can 3D print scale looking blades that will function at a smaller size. Going to Flite Fest in Ohio this summer and want to have a PCA-2 to fly in their air races.

Got your PM, and tried to send you one back. I think it went through but I didn't see anything in my sent folder. Let me know if you got it.
Mar 19, 2017, 06:53 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Yes indeed! I got your message....I was out for a while.

Dave
Mar 20, 2017, 04:39 PM
The 1st Sofaman
#1 First pic is of the pre-rotator motor.
#2 Is the motor mounted at an angle to ease the angle of the dogbones.
#3 Is the finished rotor head
#4 These are the parts used.

The engine it is an ASP 91 AR four stroke . The last version of this engine (AR) it has a little more power than the previous model . He uses a 14/6 Zinger propeller with problems . Well , if you intend to flight with 4 scale blades (43 inches +-) each!!! You must fit a Saito FA 100 to 1.20. You know that gyros need a little more power than an airplane do to the drag od the rotors . Jesus makes his own fuel: 17% synthetic oil ,3% castor oil , 10% nitro and 70% methanol.
The total weight with four blades is 4800 grms = 10,5 pounds. No problems , it flys like a trainer. The pre-rotator gives you a lot of confidence during takeoff run.
He has a few pics about his autogyros on modelflying.uk and RCuniverse .
Next week he will start with his Kellett Air Mail preflight checks .
Mar 20, 2017, 04:55 PM
Thanks . I have two videos in YouTube about the prerotator system :

2nd flight of my PCA 2 autogyro . Short takeoff with prerotation (1 min 8 sec)
Mar 20, 2017, 05:14 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Amazing!! At some point, would you please make video of your 4 blade PCA-2 ? Watching your video still makes grin for the whole day!!!

I hope the descriptions I had written were accurate?

Dave
Mar 22, 2017, 09:00 AM
First Kellett KD 1B Air Mail model autogyro blades test . (1 min 26 sec)

This is a video clip about my Kellett Air Mail
Mar 22, 2017, 03:08 PM
The 1st Sofaman
What a beautiful Autogyro! I wish Capt. Johnny Miller could have seen this!
Mar 22, 2017, 06:12 PM
Thanks Dave .
PCA and Kellett are one of the most interesting autogyros .
I would be very happy if my Kellett could fly almost like the PCAI have .
Mar 22, 2017, 10:30 PM
The 1st Sofaman
I am sure it will fly fantastic!!! I have no doubt!

It's great to see a master builder using balsa and ply!!! No ARF or FOAM autogyro for you!!!!
Mar 22, 2017, 10:39 PM
Yes Dave
It's nice to see that there are some that can build...and what a great builds they are.
Happy Landings
Chris...
Mar 22, 2017, 11:09 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Thanks Chris!!! Speaking of building, what are you working on? Anything cool?

Dave
Mar 23, 2017, 03:53 AM
Sorry Dave ...nothing special....but always tinkering..... and I have a couple of PT Cruisers that take up my time these days.
Chris...
Last edited by britinoz; Mar 23, 2017 at 03:59 AM.
Mar 24, 2017, 07:08 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
That prerotator rocks! Like the real deal! AWESOME!!!!!
Mar 24, 2017, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofaman NJ
#1 First pic is of the pre-rotator motor.
#2 Is the motor mounted at an angle to ease the angle of the dogbones.
#3 Is the finished rotor head
#4 These are the parts used.

The engine it is an ASP 91 AR four stroke . The last version of this engine (AR) it has a little more power than the previous model . He uses a 14/6 Zinger propeller with problems . Well , if you intend to flight with 4 scale blades (43 inches +-) each!!! You must fit a Saito FA 100 to 1.20. You know that gyros need a little more power than an airplane do to the drag od the rotors . Jesus makes his own fuel: 17% synthetic oil ,3% castor oil , 10% nitro and 70% methanol.
The total weight with four blades is 4800 grms = 10,5 pounds. No problems , it flys like a trainer. The pre-rotator gives you a lot of confidence during takeoff run.
He has a few pics about his autogyros on modelflying.uk and RCuniverse .
Next week he will start with his Kellett Air Mail preflight checks .

Very cool. The large size allows for a much better gear reduction than my setup. If I build a PCA-2 I think I might try something similar. Maybe double gear reduction. One set down by the motor, and another up by the rotor like pictured.