Immediate HALT of Transport Canada New Safety Rules for Recreational Drone use in Can - RC Groups
Mar 19, 2017, 10:06 AM
Discussion

Immediate HALT of Transport Canada New Safety Rules for Recreational Drone use in Can

https://www.change.org/p/marc-garnea...edium=copylink
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2017, 10:48 AM
It would be nice if it was well written. It's got quite a few grammatical errors, and really pulls the DJI phantom line. Talking about GPS, and crash avoidance technologies is meaningless in this discussion. Failing to define what a safe flying condition is in urban centres, while just stating to fly in urban centres, sounds ridiculous. Are we talking park flying, or are we talking flying down a street?

Switching up terms is also fairly poor in this context. Are you a remote control pilot, a drone pilot, or UAV operator? For that matter, why even use the term "Drone" at all. Any multirotor pilot, I do mean pilot, not operator, goes out of their way to distance the term "Drone" from multirotor helicopter.

I should probably break down and write my own I suppose.
Mar 19, 2017, 03:00 PM
fly by night
TC largely ignored MAAC, so they will definitely ignore us. best case is for fpvers, soarers, jet fliers and everyone else get together and organize and get vocal. Sat on our hands a long time, while what we really needed was a large organization alternative to MAAC which represents all RCers, and enough cash to hire lobbyist (or a lobbyist from within the ranks). Also need good legal counsel to strategize and do things like write meaningful petition statement.
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Mar 19, 2017 at 11:31 PM.
Mar 19, 2017, 05:56 PM
Agreed BC as I think a lot of rc flyers dont realize this affects them as well. How are glider pilots going to thermal to a max of 300 ft? I am pretty sure jet jockies will exceed 300 ft in a vertical turn around manouver.

So now we will all have to have telemetry for height and distance from home.

Really an extreme kneejerk over reaction.

I do think that enforcement of the old paramaters would have been a better way to go than this, although now John/Jane Q Public has been enlisted to report infractions, without any training.

I was out in a local park this afternoon with my 3 year old grandson flying an Air Hogs air powered plane and was lucky we never got arrested!
Mar 19, 2017, 08:31 PM
Who is to say that my glider went above 90m?
Mar 19, 2017, 10:12 PM
The way the announcement was made, it would be some "do gooder" making an assumption that your glider was above 90 M and unless you have proof via data logger, video link, OSD recording to prove you did not exceed the altitude limitation, then you might be deemed guilty.

Remember that we are now the "bad guys" according to TC, so the burden of proof is on us to show we are flying within the interim regulations..
Mar 20, 2017, 03:27 AM
Why don't you simply fly on a MAAC sanctioned field and stop ranting ?

"However, within the regulations is an exemption for Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) Members flying at MAAC sanction fields and/or events.
The exemption granted to MAAC members and sanctioned events is crucial to the continued operation of hundreds of clubs across the country."

Anything was fine for decades until people start to fly inside urban areas, which is stupid by all means.
Mar 20, 2017, 12:35 PM
400' ..... NOT
Why should anybody be forced to join a club? You can't just show up and fly without some Guy in a white toga carrying two tablets(ipads) yelling sinner at you.
Last edited by Martin Y; Mar 20, 2017 at 03:03 PM.
Mar 20, 2017, 12:42 PM
How can they destroy our hobby with 0 notice like this screw em i got long range gear im going to use it
Mar 20, 2017, 02:32 PM
Sorry guys, but this hobby is supposed to be related to build, pleasure of flight and/or competing.
None of the above are touched by the white walkers users, please don't include them as part of "our" hobby...
Is like someone go to a ham club and start bragging about his iPhone...
Mar 20, 2017, 02:35 PM
what are you trying to say?
Mar 20, 2017, 03:19 PM
Especially for you, just a number:450
Never was associated before a 450 heli with the term "drone"
Conversely, starting with the first popular multicopter, the F450, media rediscovered this label, to apply to this new "hobby". Wondering why...
The TC regulation is for "them", not for "us". But affecting us as well... so the MAAC sanctioned flying fields remain the only sanctuary.
Mar 20, 2017, 03:34 PM
400' ..... NOT
You've never flown at a maac sanctioned field before have you?
Latest blog entry: 1280mhz vs 1090mhz
Mar 20, 2017, 03:49 PM
Locally I am flying only at my MAAC equivalent field.
Since first days of FPV, long time before "drones" I was an active poster in local forums against flying in urban areas. Yes to FPV in nature.
Mar 24, 2017, 01:05 AM
Live FPV or Die
Hello my friends. I take a long rest and I would like to restart flying FPV. I was thinking flying my aerobatic plane that you see in my avatar in MAAC club. When you fly FPV in MAAC club, do you fly with a spotter on your side, or generally when peoples in the club know your skill, you can fly alone without spotter?