Mar 18, 2017, 07:55 PM
Basil
Discussion

RG65 - Joysway Pirate, Explorer & Affinity

Welcome to this thread. If you join it, we can discuss enhancements to these boats
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2017, 09:10 PM
Attach some photos of how you have changed your Pirate and some photos of your group sailing. Good to see the venues others sail on.

Just use the attach files in the files box below this text box.
Mar 19, 2017, 11:06 AM
Basil

Club Nautique du Luco

The club with which I sail is called the Club Nautique du Luco. "Luco" is jargon of Parisian kids. It stands for "Luxembourg" in the magnificent Jardins du Luxembourg in the heart of the Left Bank of Paris.

They were created in 1602 by Marie de Medicis, wife of Henry IV and mother and regent of Louis XIII. They surround the Palais de Luxembourg which was first built by the Duke of Luxemburg in the 1500's and then rased and rebuilt magnificently by Marie de Medicis. Right after the French revolution it became a prison, before Napoleon moved in. Shortly after, it became the French Senate and continues as such today. It's also the personal residence of the President of the Senate.

There's a picture tour of the gardens at:

https://www.google.fr/search?q=jardi...VBpAkg2WDWpUM:

If the name has entered into the jargon of Parisian kids, it's because there are small sailboats for rent by the hour on weekends and during the summer. The boats are named for countries. One can hear kids saying, e.g "Sweden just crashed into Norway".

The club is completely heterogeneous. There are RC's from Micro-Magics to IOM's. There are a also some tiny non RC boats, a typical owner arrivng with several of them. On the motor side, there are a few electric surface vessels and quite a few submarines.

The two links below are to shots of the club's sailboats. There are others on YouTube like an extended trip along the bottom in a submarine.

Le Club Nautique du Luco à Paris: La goelette Alizé (2 min 35 sec)

Le Club Nautique du Luco à Paris: matinée ensoleillée (1 min 43 sec)

The club, which is about 15 years old, has no clubhouse, no statutes, no officers, no membership list and no annual meetings. One belongs if one sails with the club on Sunday mornings. Its memebers are called Luconautes.

It does, however, have a burgee (see below) and Web site which is updated every Sunday afternoon with pictures from the morning.
Mar 19, 2017, 11:09 AM
Basil
I forgot to include the link the club's Web site:

http://clubnautiqueduluco.free.fr/
Mar 19, 2017, 11:42 AM
Basil

Juanita II

I started sailing about 70 years ago. My last big boat was an International 6 Metre (31' - see www.michelselig.fr). In fact, it's a re-build which my age has prevented me from continuing. Laying off its lines full size requires probably kneeling 2000 time and then getting up 2000 time. Too much for my arthritis.

When I bought her, she was called K 75 Joanna. Wanting to stay on the water, I bought a sporty 13' sailing dinghy which satarted out being called Joannita and ended up as Juanita. I hoped to sail her until age 80, but broke my back at 78, which ended my 1:1 scale sailing. Having found my club, I needed a boat, which I spent about 15 minutes finding on the Web. It was an RG65 Joysway Pirate. I was amused by its goofiness.

When I showed up at the elegant Luxemburg Gardens with its garish sails and decals, the other members had a fit. I dug in my heels and vowed to keep her as is until several other members showed me the sails that they had fabricated for their boats. I immediately got hooked and started reading Larry Robinson, Lester Gilbert and Ben Morris. (I'm now wading through the 205 p
Mar 19, 2017, 12:20 PM
Basil

Whoops - Juanita II continued

I forgot to mention that my first model yacht was named after my last 1:1 scale boat.

I'm currently wading through the 250 pages of Ross Garrett's, The Symmetry of Sailng, the physics of sailing for yachtsmen).

Since I was going to replace the Pirate sails with white sails, I also removed all the decals. The boat no longer looks like a Pirate except for the Pirate tatoo I added to the new mainsail.

I started witht the jib and made two serious errors. I misunderstood how twist was measured. What was intended as a 10 twist became something around 25.

The other was with the 3M 75 spray which creates a Post-It like surface. I sprayed way too much which glued the sail to the mould. It took two hands to separate the sail from the mould, completely deforming it. (It's since undergone surgery.)

I used 50 micron Mylar and a 2 mm carbon tube as forestay. Its parameters were: maximun camber at 40%, 10 twist and cambers from 5.5 - 8.0 %, with 5 panels.

I've just finished the main. In order to try to reduce induced drag behind the mast and under the boom, I glued the edges of the luff and foot to 2 mm carbon tube and then stitched the tubes to the mast and boom. To avoid the turbulence caused by the usual re-enforcing patches on the sail, for the eyelets at the head, foot and clew, I used a variant of Larry Robinson's threads and glued 3 - 4 threads from each eyelet along the sail. The luff carbon tube similarly repalces the patches for the eyelets holding the sail to the mast.

Its parameters are 40% maximum camber, 10 twist and 6.5 - 8.0% cambers with eight panels.

As an echo of the boat's pirate beginnings, there's a pirate's head tatoo at the top of the mainsail.

Today was the mainsail's first test. The wind was at about 12 mph with gusts at 24. The twist nicely de-powered the head of the sail during the gusts, the boat heeling much less than the other boats.

My basic problem is that I'm still a rank beginner. I have to admit that learning comes more slowly at my age. Despite of (or maybe because of) my decades of experience, I have tons to learn on how to sail my RC. For example, I still don't have the instantaneous reflexes for turning. In my head, I have to stay, "In which direction do you want to turn. Left? " After a quick glace at the labels on my trnasmitter, I continue saying, " o.k. slide the lever to the left." It's often followed by "Whoops. I needed to turn right, not left".
Mar 19, 2017, 01:00 PM
Basil

Fabricating a sail at home without wood and wood working tools

I was limited to using cardboard, a glue gun and an Xacto knife.

The key step was the first one. It consisted in cutting out a "sailboard base" which was the basic platform for adding the camber moulds, the twist rail and the sailboard panels. It had to be open on the bottom to provide access to glue the undersides of the sailboard panels to the camber moulds (pic n 1).

Drawings were transferred to the cardboard with pins (n 2 of the twist rail).

Similarly, components of the assembly were held in place with pins before gluing (n 3, twist rail again, and n 4 of a camber mould)

Longitudinal stringers were glued between the camber moulds (n 5)

The sailboard panels were then pinned in place on the camber moulds (n 6)

Because of the pins, I couldn't just flip the assembly upside down This required an "inversion frame" to hold the sailboard base a few inches above my work table. (n 7)

I could then glue the sailboard panels to the camber moulds from the bottom (n 8)

When this was done, I had my sailboard panels in place. They formed the mould of the sail. (n 9)

I made a sketch of the sail construction procedure, describing the overlaps of the sail panels (joined by doubled sided Mylar tape) and the procedure for gluing the carbon tubes along the luff and foot (n 10)

The carbon tubes were then laced to the mast and boom (n 11)

The threads glued to the sail to hold the three corner eyelets are shown in n 12

The final result is shown in n 13.

Please pose questions. More importantly, please express your doubts and criticisms. I plan to do the jib next winter. You can help me do it better.
Mar 19, 2017, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the back ground to your sailing. I know of a number of clubs like yours that just meet at the lake and have no other structure. Seems to work well. just friends out sailing.

Am very impressed how much you have got into RC sailing in a short period of time. Jumping right in and making sails with minimal tools shows your interest.

I don't have a sailing back ground and not much RC sailing experience but I from what I have seen being able to adjust the curve in the foot by adjusting the position of the clew on the boom seems to be an advantage. Not sure lashing the foot is the way to go although I have seen it done on 1:1 yachts.

The good thing is that mylar is not expensive and making sails is a lot of fun.

Have fun.
Mar 19, 2017, 10:15 PM
Just looked up the last sail I made. Was 4 years ago???? time sure flies. It is still to get wet. I am still in flat panel sail mode.
Mar 20, 2017, 12:25 AM
If you are interested in making sails ...
Check this recent forum link - has some good recent pointers and additional links.

There might be other forum threads on this forum - do a search

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...l#post35947675

You should also do a Google search ...
key words ..."Swede Johnson sail block"

You will find this link n others ...
https://issuu.com/fcb2868/docs/img
Mar 20, 2017, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaby
Welcome to this thread. If you join it, we can discuss enhancements to these boats
Have you seen the other Affinity thread on here ? https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...28HobbyKing%29
Mar 23, 2017, 01:40 PM
Basil

Switching this thread to another

Thanks Huzway for the lead to the other thread. There's no use having two threads covering the same topic.

I won't close this thread, because I'd like to keep my messages above alive, but I won't make any more posts to it.

I recommend members to go to the Affinity thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post37163953