Mar 18, 2017, 05:25 PM
Discussion

Any one eyed FPV pilots here?

I only have vision in one eye, and I'm wondering if FPV would be a good road to go down. Thinking that flying via a monitor will eliminate the need for depth perception. Does that sound right?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2017, 05:33 PM
LoS sUAS AP/V is not a crime
Sounds right. Also my googles show the same image to both eyes so.....
And because my googles are a little wide for my eyes I line up one good eye and ignore the other most the time anyway.

Good Luck and have fun.
Mar 18, 2017, 07:35 PM
Sent by Touch Typing
Stereoscopic vision is quite useless in FPV so it should be no problem for you.
Mar 19, 2017, 10:03 AM
We have one in our flying group. And he actually came second in a race last year!
So it will work for you as well, go for it.
Mar 19, 2017, 08:14 PM
As long as you can get a clear image edge to edge with your one good eye behind
the lens and display, goggles work just fine. I know. I only have one good eye. The other
provides some ambience and that's about it.
Mar 19, 2017, 10:42 PM
Our group also has a one-eyed flier who also wears glasses for his good eye. He's doing all right..
Mar 19, 2017, 11:27 PM
Cool, thanks for your replies.
Mar 21, 2017, 01:57 AM
That's no problem ,
Mar 21, 2017, 09:07 PM
WingsTiresTitsGunaGiveYaT ruble
Been blind in my left eye since birth. Headplay unit gives me plenty of viewing area.
Mar 21, 2017, 10:22 PM
Thanks.
Mar 21, 2017, 10:50 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Stereoscopic vision requires both eyes. But the image in an FPV headset is generally not stereoscopic (there are some 3D setups, but most are the exact same image in both eyes). So if you only use one eye you see exactly the same information as someone using two eyes, it will not make any difference at all to your ability to fly competitively.
Yesterday, 04:32 AM
Commercial UAV Pilot
I only have sight in one eye and now need reading glass(es!)......and that gives me more problems than anything! I use Headplay style goggles.....seperate eyepiece style never really appealed as you might imagine.
Yesterday, 10:12 AM
As a mostly one eyed pilot, the problem I have with the Headplay HMDs is that the nose blocks
my view of the far bottom corner of the screen. In other words, I can't see the bottom
right corner of the screen with my good left eye. Don't have that problem with goggles
since eye is centered behind each display.
Today, 12:26 AM
The more I learn, the more I need to learn. lol

Yesterday I tried flying my Hubsan h502s using primarily the monitor. I learned the camera has way to wide angle lens for fpv. I haven't found the specs on how wide it is but it must be 150-180 degree. And it looks like common fpv cameras are 50-70 degrees. Luckily I was being cautious. I flew up to a building, stopping at a point that appeared 40 or 50 feet away via the monitor, only to find out it was about 15 feet away. Yikes! Don't think I'll be doing that again anytime soon.