Apr 16, 2017, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak
Castle makes great stuff. But they will forever be remembered for their burning ESC failures. They survived it though. But again I still overspec their products due to those days. For instance I would choose a 100A Castle for my 2m if I go that way. I need to see if they make an HV ESC with a 10s capable BEC that can output to HV servos.

I don't know of anyone who runs BEC on a 2M airplane. Any particular reason why you are going that direction?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2017, 08:21 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Hi,
I have been using on my 2 M F3A planes (MythoS Pro and Galactika) ESC with BEC. I use Jeti/Hacker Master Mezon 130 (in MythoS Pro) and 90 (in Galactika).
I use Scorpion Backup Guard also in plane in case the BEC should fail. I use HV servos and have BEC output voltage set to 7.4volt (it can be set up to 8 volt).
The reson for me to use the BEC is to save some weight (compared to a Mezon Opto and two LiPo's+Smart Switch(or Dualbat or similar) to power receiver+servos.
Last edited by bossee; Apr 17, 2017 at 08:28 AM.
Apr 17, 2017, 08:26 AM
In search of speed......
I used Power Unlimited (F3A Unlimited Brand) and they are the absolute lightest and top lipo...for F3A the last one I got were 5400mAh lighter then the zippy 5000 that last me me one season.....and much lighter then the 5000 Pulse....

I pretty much always get Pulse for everything else...
Apr 17, 2017, 08:33 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
I have not checked lately what 5 cell 5000 mAh LiPo is very light but I think ThunderPower 5S 18.5V ProLite X 25C is among the lightest at about 570-580 gram.
/Bo
Apr 17, 2017, 09:57 AM
"Get off the runway!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee
I have not checked lately what 5 cell 5000 mAh LiPo is very light but I think ThunderPower 5S 18.5V ProLite X 25C is among the lightest at about 570-580 gram.
/Bo
I have been using Zippy blues 5000 ma. and am very pleased. They weigh 535 grams and in light winds and flying Intermediate I land with 35% to 50% left.
Apr 17, 2017, 01:54 PM
I kind of figured out from talking to Mike at F3A unlimited that most pattern flyers are trying to reduce weight and flying with approx. 5000 packs is more normal than 6000. AJ told me this morning via an email response that bigger packs would fly fine and the weight only really noticeable on down line speed and the added rudder deflection in knife edge flight. But I want to minimize those effects. I ordered 5200 mAh 30c packs Gator Packs from F3A Unlimited as I had a credit there. Thanks for your advice!
Last edited by Husafreak; Apr 17, 2017 at 02:08 PM.
Apr 17, 2017, 02:01 PM
I got a Jeti switch and plan to run the Mezon ESC BEC with a 25g 450 mAh (or 15g 300 mAh) 2s backup pack on the CG. I have a bunch of those for my foamiess on hand. Should get me down in the unlikely event of a ESC/BEC failure. A little redundancy if I want it.
Last edited by Husafreak; Apr 17, 2017 at 02:10 PM.
Apr 17, 2017, 02:07 PM
The Acuity comes pre slotted with CA hinges. I imagine these will be fine for a pattern ship with small surface deflections. Let me know if any of you feel those are too stiff for precision acrobatics. Using Futaba BLS HV servos so plenty of power and precision there. I seal my hinge gaps.
Apr 17, 2017, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy
I don't know of anyone who runs BEC on a 2M airplane. Any particular reason why you are going that direction?
With the advent of good capability switching BEC's on the newer/better ESC's, guys are starting to run them with a small LiPo sufficient to get the model back on the ground should the main power system fail, as a backup.

Why? With Pattern it's always about the weight and this setup is lighter than a separate rx pack.
Apr 17, 2017, 10:59 PM
OK it was the backup lipo that I was missing. Still how much weight can you save with that setup? I admit that when electric power first became practical the batteries and motors were a bit heavier and building techniques needed to be refined to make the 5KG weight limit so yes every gram counted. I don't see making weigh as much of an issue now. The second side of the coin is I have never seen an airplane weighed at any event besides the Nats or a WC.
Apr 18, 2017, 08:06 AM
In search of speed......
Quote:
The Acuity comes pre slotted with CA hinges. I imagine these will be fine for a pattern ship with small surface deflections. Let me know if any of you feel those are too stiff for precision acrobatics. Using Futaba BLS HV servos so plenty of power and precision there. I seal my hinge gaps.
CA Hinges.....Thats what I have on my Oxai and BJ coat 2m birds....not a problems
Apr 18, 2017, 08:14 AM
In search of speed......
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy
Well I run BEC in all mine ever since the arrival of the jeti DSM switch....it isolate both side.....but let the signal go through.....so you can use it with 2x ESC BEC or 2x 2S lipo or a mix like I do 1x BEC and 1x 2s 450 mah as backup.

On the first power up of the RX the battery will be powering the plane until it goes to 7.9volts....then my BEC set at 8.0 volt will take over, I got an alarm setup if my RX voltage goes to or below 7.8 volts which would mean I have a BEC failure and I'm on my back-up. If I get a Full ESC or Battery failure I still have power for the RX and servos for a attempt to land on the runway......

Note that before this switch I was flying my F3A planes with 2x 2s 450 mAh and the was good with reserve for 4-5 flights....
Apr 18, 2017, 10:29 AM
Thanks!
Apr 24, 2017, 11:18 PM
I'm looking at my new Jeti Mezon Lite 90 and I don't see how I can program it with Tx stick inputs. The website says it is programmable via programming box or PC. Nuts. Not another box I'll only use once... Do you guys know if it needs to be programmed? Or if it can be plugged into a PC without a special high dollar cable? I don't see the base settings listed. I can guess the BEC will not be putting out 8V. I guess I'll be calling my dealer tomorrow.
Apr 25, 2017, 12:22 AM
Quote:
I'm looking at my new Jeti Mezon Lite 90 and I don't see how I can program it with Tx stick inputs. The website says it is programmable via programming box or PC. Nuts. Not another box I'll only use once... Do you guys know if it needs to be programmed? Or if it can be plugged into a PC without a special high dollar cable? I don't see the base settings listed. I can guess the BEC will not be putting out 8V. I guess I'll be calling my dealer tomorrow.
Suffice to say that Jeti made things more difficult for those of us who are not using Jeti radios.

May it also suffice to say that buying the little programmer box is a very worthwhile expenditure. After all, they are not very expensive and it gives you access to a LOT of programming possibilities that you do not even imagine right now.

Yes, it needs to be programmed, just buy the box or a Jeti tx/rx setup in which case you can program the ESC with the tx......

Quick Reply