Thread Tools
Mar 23, 2017, 11:47 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33
. . .[snip] . .

As far as Castle Cremations, that again is overstated. . . . [snip]. . ..
.
I would respectfully disagree. Castle ESC's are a dangerous fire hazard.
.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2017, 04:02 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanB
Okay, so, I was second guessing myself on the "sparks coming from the wires in-between the motor and the ESC" so I setup a little video to capture and it worked!

Sure enough, I was wrong - the sparks are coming from the ESC itself. It appears it has a problem talking to the motor and nearly identical to Richard's (@NashVegas) video. Because I was behind the motor/esc before I could not see the actual source.

Here is a video:


..and attached are a screen-capture of the three frames during the flash.

High-resolution versions here:
http://bit.ly/2aVUmve

I will contact ESprit/ZB for service to see if they have any insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashVegas
John and Jim.....last count I have from this thread was 12 Mezon ESC deaths. Correct? 4 of those were here in Nashville and one in Arkansas. I know those were all Mezon 130 and Mezon 135's. Both with internal BEC and Opto. Are the Mezon 90's more stable?
Mezon Cremations or Castle Cremations, some would not get out of bed for fear, me i make my own conclusions and user error is usually the issue.
Mar 24, 2017, 07:08 AM
In search of speed......
Dansy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak
Thanks for the heads up the Jeti switch is nice. Wouldn't want to lose the "key" though. I guess with a Powerbox Digiswitch you just plug it into an unused Rx port or Y harness and it only goes into effect if the primary higher voltage source (the ESC BEC) fails. I'd have to remember to turn it on though, LOL
The key is just a magnet
Mar 24, 2017, 07:20 AM
In search of speed......
Dansy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyflyboy
Jeti make a nice switch which I use with my Mezon BEC, the switch passes the input with the higher voltage through to the receiver it also handles 10amps continuous. Perfect place for a backup LIFE battery with a battery alarm, I use a 200ma LIFE.

Oh and Castle make nice speedies, I also own both Jeti and Castle, negative people will be negative, they are but toys at the end of the day. I never listen to name dropping negative types, I do fly with old George though if you need a name :-).

http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-elec...y-dsm-esc.aspx

Setup similar to Dansy, twin A123 batteries are a lot of weight for this sized bird, twin lipo or life make more sense.
Personally I used only Mezon's ESC simply because they work well and I'm a JETI user and I like the telemetry....I have used CC before without problems, but they also don't play nice with my Q60 and Q80......I also have some Kontroniks for my heli.....
Mar 24, 2017, 10:41 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyflyboy
Mezon Cremations or Castle Cremations, some would not get out of bed for fear, me i make my own conclusions and user error is usually the issue.
.
I too used to be a Castle fan / Apologist as you can see by the neck lanyard I returned with the ashes of their controller. It's not fear or lack of knowledge about their products that made me switch (I've bought over 40 of various sizes over the years), it was direct experience and a long conversation with their customer service department. BTW - I sent them the ESC logs and they confirmed it wasn't user error and they immediately offered to replace the ESC.
.
Mar 24, 2017, 11:01 AM
Registered User
So what's your point? If you don't like CC esc's, then don't use them! It's just that easy......
Mar 24, 2017, 01:11 PM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Probably any ESC can go up in smoke, brand is perhaps not that important but of cource some are higher quality and should be less likely to fail.
If we mount the ESC for good cooling, are within specification for current etc it is just to hope for the best the ESC will not fail during flights.
I got my first toasted ESC last fall the day before last F3A competition for the season.
I had over 250 flights with that ESC (a Jeti/Hacker Master Mezon 90 with BEC) and on one flight dead silence from motor in the air. When the plane was on the ground and I walked up to the plane I could smell burn. The ESC had not melted but it had failed.
I replaced the ESC with a Mezon 130 (that had been in use for about 600 flights in another plane) same evening and flew in the competition next day.

It was my so far first and who knows if it will be the only ESC failure, in 10 years flying electric.

I have Castle Creations ESCs in smaller electric planes and never had any problems with these ESCs.

Personally I like Hacker/Jeti ESC for my 2M F3A planes, they just seems very solid and well built. If I would get a second Master Mezon ESC failure I would check very careful if it is anything in my plane or my own failt in some way that is the cause before I would consider to switch to another ESC brand for my 2M F3A planes.

/Bo
Mar 24, 2017, 06:30 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Interesting topic. I use Castle and it works for me.

However, for some strange reason I was under he impression this was a 2M Acuity thread. There seems to be a lot of ESC failures for every brand that was flown in the 2M Acuity and it was just released.

Am I missing something?������
Mar 24, 2017, 10:30 PM
Registered User
Zeeb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC1
Interesting topic. I use Castle and it works for me.

However, for some strange reason I was under he impression this was a 2M Acuity thread. There seems to be a lot of ESC failures for every brand that was flown in the 2M Acuity and it was just released.

Am I missing something?������
Well I think that perhaps a difference of equipment as is noted on AJ's website, about equipping this model?

The required equipment list shows a CC ESC and some less expensive Futaba servos, plus the Himax motor some here have noted and it's the one I bought. If you go to the section about what AJ uses on the model, it shows the Mezon ESC and the more expensive Sbus Futaba servos.

In my case, I bought the 12S Mezon ESC so I can experiment with a 12S setup down the road with a different motor. There is a push to get the FAI folks to allow 12S battery packs in F3A but the old argument about "safety" keeps coming up while the sequences keep getting more demanding. They keep denying the request saying it's a "safety" issue while allowing the heli guys to run 12S in the FAI competitions.

So you have a situation that while you started this thread, as sometimes happens things can kind of get off in the weeds and you noting such, is not uncommon for a thread initiator trying to straighten out a wandering thread.

Perhaps you should consult jonnyflyboy for an answer as he seems to think that he has them all? Therefore, maybe he could straighten out this thread as opposed to wasting his time trying to slam me.....

Now back to our regularly scheduled argument....
Mar 25, 2017, 01:56 AM
Suspended Account
Zeeb, there are no places for second place Son, the thread was travelling fine which they usually do, it was your need to mention the cremations thing which derailed it, no use blaming me for your own failings. My Gran always told that you catch more beez with honey, perhaps you try her approach. You may even help your good friend AJ sell some models, I will stick with my mate George he is a likeable fella.
Last edited by jonnyflyboy; Mar 25, 2017 at 02:18 AM.
Apr 16, 2017, 01:31 PM
Registered User
Husafreak's Avatar
Batteries for pattern planes. F3A Unlimited has 5200 mAh packs at 610g and 6000 mAh packs at 625g. Any advice? 30g is not a lot for the extra cap but I expect to fly this thing for a while. Maybe best to pick a certain capacity and stick with that from day one.
Apr 16, 2017, 02:35 PM
Suspended Account
What breed of battery are they?
Apr 16, 2017, 03:08 PM
Registered User
Husafreak's Avatar
One is Gator Power and the other is their brand Power Unlimited. I'm really interested to know what weight range and capacity is more typical for F3A pattern machines.
Apr 16, 2017, 04:17 PM
Suspended Account
I have never heard of those brands but I would compare a similar sized Gensace, Glacier, Pulse or even a Thunderpower pack to see how the weights compare. There is no free lunch with batteries the Zippy Compacts are an example which are too light for f3a or any hard use application, the Zippies inflate like a balloon in these applications.
Apr 16, 2017, 07:46 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyflyboy
I have never heard of those brands but I would compare a similar sized Gensace, Glacier, Pulse or even a Thunderpower pack to see how the weights compare. There is no free lunch with batteries the Zippy Compacts are an example which are too light for f3a or any hard use application, the Zippies inflate like a balloon in these applications.
We'll see. I have one set of Zippy 5000's and a brand new pair of the 6000mAh F3A packs (they seem really nice). I just maidened my new to me 2M Vanquish so we'll see how these packs compare with regards to durability.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools