Mar 22, 2017, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak
Castle makes great stuff. But they will forever be remembered for their burning ESC failures. They survived it though. But again I still overspec their products due to those days. For instance I would choose a 100A Castle for my 2m if I go that way. I need to see if they make an HV ESC with a 10s capable BEC that can output to HV servos.
Their HV ESC in general don't have a BEC, with the exception of the Talon 120. On my large stuff, I am still not comfortable with using a BEC and generally have A123 packs and in most time have them in a redundant configuration. I do this simply because if I were to have an ESC failure, it would potentially take out the LiPo but I would still have control over the plane to attempt to land or ditch it in a safe place
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2017, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33
Their HV ESC in general don't have a BEC, with the exception of the Talon 120. On my large stuff, I am still not comfortable with using a BEC and generally have A123 packs and in most time have them in a redundant configuration. I do this simply because if I were to have an ESC failure, it would potentially take out the LiPo but I would still have control over the plane to attempt to land or ditch it in a safe place
With the advent of the bigger capacity switching BEC's, quite a few of us are going that way for weight. Some, well most, of us on the spendier planes will use a small LiPo as a backup battery. With one of the PowerBox Digi switches which are regulated down to 5.9 volts, you just set the BEC higher and you have an rx backup power source should the BEC/ESC give up the ghost.

My Proteus has it's own rx battery and an Opto Spin 99. The Essence has that backup battery setup on a Mezon and the new 2M Acuity will be the same, but I've been running my 73" Laser off just the Mezon and it's been fine.

As for CC vs. Jeti? Do as you wish, I am only relating what I see around here which has been in no small part due to AJ's presence in our club.
Mar 22, 2017, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Coming over from the 62" thread with a few questions for you all.
I will get the HiMax motor and Falcon prop listed on the AJ Aircraft website.
I need to find out which 3 1/4" spinner they are using. It looks like a True Turn but what shape is that in the pics? I don't know much about the vented spinners like the Falcon CF. They seem popular in E-pattern but maybe not necessary.
As for the ESC's recommended, Is it possible to tell the difference between the Jeti Mezon 90HV Lite and something like the Castle Pheonix 80HV Lite in flight? Discounting the Jeti telemetry and features I won't use, is there a reason to spend 3x as much for the Jeti?
I see two sets of recommended Futaba servos also. Can the BLS 171 and 173 SBus servos be used with my Jr radio equipment? Would I be paying for a feature (SBus) that I won't use? Are they any better performing than the less expensive S9551, 9151, and 9650 which are not SBus? Can you recommend equivalent JR servos? I realize that precision around the neutral point is extremely important in F3A servos. But I do not know which are best in this regards. I remember back in the 62" Osiris video AJ mentioned using the 9650 in his championship aircraft due to its centering precision, so that is still a critical parameter.
I am looking to get back into pattern flying after a long absence. Last time I competed in F3A it was with YS120 power and retracts. I like flying my 62" Osiris but I really want the stability of this 2M bird with high end (best bang for the buck) equipment.
I also asked AJ Aircraft these questions via their website.
Thank you!
The Castle Cremations thing is just fanboy garbage, many are using both Castle and Jeti controllers with success, there has been cases of Jeti throwing sparks and flames with certain motors but do we call them Jeti cremations, no us sensible folk do not. In fact Extreme Flight have chosen the Castle products to use with their new range of electric motors so that says something. It depends on what you are after, I own both Jeti and Castle and both perform very well, for some applications the Castle ESCís have a better throttle response but generally I cannot tell the difference between the two. There is no reason to go one over the other, choose one with the price point and feature sets that you think that you will need and require, do not listen to fanboys, go with your heart.
Mar 22, 2017, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgosson
A very popular amongst many, including myself. I'm using a himax 210 with a castle edge hv. They are installed in a Caelus and inthe middle of completion on my Etude. The castle is fully programmable, resonably priced, coupled to a himax motor at less than $300. It's a great package that simply works.

For the Acuity 2M, I can't see why you need to drop $550 for a motor.
Hmmm.....

Not sure what Himax 210 motor you are referring to but the one listed on F3A Unlimited's website which is a suggestion for the 2M Acuity on AJ's website, is $300.00 by itself. So do you get your CC ESC's free?????

http://www.f3aunlimited.com/himax-hc6330pro
Mar 23, 2017, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33
Do you use dual 2300 A123 packs?
Mar 23, 2017, 03:06 AM
AJ mentioned using a Digi switch as a backup. Never heard of those before. What size Lipo can I get away with if I use that? I imagine even a 2s 300mAh would be enough to get down. They only weigh about 15g.
I'll bet I wouldn't notice the difference between a Jeti and a CC ESC motor performance wise. But I do like that the Jeti is only an ounce heavier than the CC even with its BEC. With the Digiswitch and a small 2s Lipo backup it might be the lightest possible redundant setup.
This is of course personal but I am a KISS kind of guy. I like BEC's and just go for the lowest parts count. But as airframe costs and performance increase some kind of redundancy is prudent for safety and to protect your investment.
After being out of the pattern game for so long I am trying to get reeducated on what is available and what guys are using to get the job done so thanks for ALL suggestions.
This may sound silly but if I get the Acuity (it is in the mail) and it is really nice I will probably go with AJ's setup, but if the finish is off or I have warp or incidence issues I might go more economical.
Mar 23, 2017, 05:04 AM
In search of speed......
I'm my 2m I used Mezon set BEC to 8v with 2s 450mAh, and a Jeti switch that allow 2 power completely divided its called the DSM Switch. That is what I installed in mu Oxai and BjCraft planes.

Before that switch existed I used Mezon Opto (non BEC) with 2x 2s 450Mah and that was good for 4-5 flights....had 2 set so I just change them after 4 flights.

You will be surprise on how little mAh you use per flight on a F3A plane, doing only F3A type flying (not show boating ). Of course this is with new (yearly) packs of top qualities.
Mar 23, 2017, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logantjosh
Do you use dual 2300 A123 packs?
Yes I do that I have made by Electro Dynamics and they are 2500 packs.
Mar 23, 2017, 02:34 PM
Suspended Account
Jeti make a nice switch which I use with my Mezon BEC, the switch passes the input with the higher voltage through to the receiver it also handles 10amps continuous. Perfect place for a backup LIFE battery with a battery alarm, I use a 200ma LIFE.

Oh and Castle make nice speedies, I also own both Jeti and Castle, negative people will be negative, they are but toys at the end of the day. I never listen to name dropping negative types, I do fly with old George though if you need a name :-).

http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-elec...y-dsm-esc.aspx

Setup similar to Dansy, twin A123 batteries are a lot of weight for this sized bird, twin lipo or life make more sense.
Last edited by jonnyflyboy; Mar 23, 2017 at 02:46 PM.
Mar 23, 2017, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the heads up the Jeti switch is nice. Wouldn't want to lose the "key" though. I guess with a Powerbox Digiswitch you just plug it into an unused Rx port or Y harness and it only goes into effect if the primary higher voltage source (the ESC BEC) fails. I'd have to remember to turn it on though, LOL
Mar 23, 2017, 03:05 PM
Suspended Account
I have a few keys now, being magnetic they stick to things, horses for courses, redundancy is easy to setup. Just do not add more junk then what is necessary purely for redundancy, keep it simple.
Mar 23, 2017, 05:02 PM
I'm a big fan of the Powerbox Digiswitch. I have both the single & dual lipo powered versions, depending on the size of the plane is the determining factor whether it's a single or dual. You have the option to run it as 6.0 or 8.4 volts, i normally use HV servos and run it on the high side

Dansy is 100 percent correct, you would be surprised how little energy is taken from the pack for 3 x 7 minutes flights. I use 2 x 500 mah TP 2 cell packs in my Caelus and never have fallen below 65 percent after 5 flights. It's a simple straight forward approach to power up all the electronics.
Mar 23, 2017, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up the Jeti switch is nice. Wouldn't want to lose the "key" though. I guess with a Powerbox Digiswitch you just plug it into an unused Rx port or Y harness and it only goes into effect if the primary higher voltage source (the ESC BEC) fails. I'd have to remember to turn it on though, LOL
That's how you set it up with a Digiswitch and don't worry about turning it on, if you don't see the little green light; don't take off.... lol

A lot of guys are using little 2S LiPo's about 500mah or so for the backup. I use the 725 size as that's what my Proteus with the Opto ESC uses for rx batteries so I don't have to mess around with all sorts of small LiPo's including those used on my foamies. It's only about 1oz. heavier than the smaller battery and I figure that's okay.
Mar 23, 2017, 09:51 PM
No green, no go

Quick Reply