AJ Acuity 2M - RC Groups
Mar 18, 2017, 01:40 PM
Discussion

AJ Acuity 2M

Alright, somebody needs to get this started...

I do not intend to do a build thread for my 2M Acuity. I may post some pictures as I go...

Mine is ordered and on the way and will be here on Tuesday 3/21. It will be my primary plane for Intermediate this year... Looking to have flights on it well before Muncie in May. This might be the first year I actually get some practice flights in before the season begins. Last year was my first year back into Pattern since about 2008, attending only two contest last year with only 1 contest logging official flights in the D4 Championships. I hit a couple of contest along the way, but nothing consistent and sometimes not with a 2M plane. Had fun anyway !!!!

The 2M Acuity looks to be a straight forward build and I have all the equipment except for some servos and a spinner.

Any body else on the 2M Acuity train?

Maybe Scottyb313 or AJ can jump in early with the CG location.

Larry Diamond
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2017, 08:56 PM
Mine's going to my builder guy in St George, UT. Tim didn't tell me when it was going to ship as they were going to source a motor for me as well.
Mar 18, 2017, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
Mine's going to my builder guy in St George, UT. Tim didn't tell me when it was going to ship as they were going to source a motor for me as well.
What motor are you going with?
Mar 18, 2017, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC1
What motor are you going with?
You'll have to ask AJ because I don't remember what he said, sorry....
Mar 19, 2017, 11:06 AM
Larry,
Hope your able to make it to more events with the new plane? I will be looking forward to seeing some of these new planes this year!

I'm guessing with the combination of the new plane and your skills I'm sure you are going to have the intermediate wrapped up?

If it were me I guess it would have been a lot nicer to have had the plane released before now? But I'm sure it was a matter of logistics with the factory making them?
Mar 19, 2017, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8qpu
Larry,
Hope your able to make it to more events with the new plane? I will be looking forward to seeing some of these new planes this year!

I'm guessing with the combination of the new plane and your skills I'm sure you are going to have the intermediate wrapped up?

If it were me I guess it would have been a lot nicer to have had the plane released before now? But I'm sure it was a matter of logistics with the factory making them?
By no means will I have Intermediate wrapped up... I have a lot of work to do to be competitive in Intermediate.

I do plan to attend more contests and hope to fly all the rounds in each contest I attend.

I was not waiting on the 2M Acuity as a Primary plane. However, since it will arrive soon and much of the work is done as it looks more like a quick build to me, it became my primary for this season.

I have a couple other planes I could fly if I were to put time in it. So I have a couple backup planes in the queue. I have not had two planes ready to fly at a contest before. Then there is the 62" Acuity if needed.
Mar 21, 2017, 02:00 PM
Coming over from the 62" thread with a few questions for you all.
I will get the HiMax motor and Falcon prop listed on the AJ Aircraft website.
I need to find out which 3 1/4" spinner they are using. It looks like a True Turn but what shape is that in the pics? I don't know much about the vented spinners like the Falcon CF. They seem popular in E-pattern but maybe not necessary.
As for the ESC's recommended, Is it possible to tell the difference between the Jeti Mezon 90HV Lite and something like the Castle Pheonix 80HV Lite in flight? Discounting the Jeti telemetry and features I won't use, is there a reason to spend 3x as much for the Jeti?
I see two sets of recommended Futaba servos also. Can the BLS 171 and 173 SBus servos be used with my Jr radio equipment? Would I be paying for a feature (SBus) that I won't use? Are they any better performing than the less expensive S9551, 9151, and 9650 which are not SBus? Can you recommend equivalent JR servos? I realize that precision around the neutral point is extremely important in F3A servos. But I do not know which are best in this regards. I remember back in the 62" Osiris video AJ mentioned using the 9650 in his championship aircraft due to its centering precision, so that is still a critical parameter.
I am looking to get back into pattern flying after a long absence. Last time I competed in F3A it was with YS120 power and retracts. I like flying my 62" Osiris but I really want the stability of this 2M bird with high end (best bang for the buck) equipment.
I also asked AJ Aircraft these questions via their website.
Thank you!
Mar 21, 2017, 10:41 PM
We have a number of guys flying good sized electric powered models around here, including F3A stuff. Most of us use the Mezon ESC's because they work, are programmable, have switching BEC's (lots of guys are going that way, some including me, use small LiPo backup batteries) and best of all, they do not start fires.

The other point is that Castle doesn't make an ESC that will play with a 28 pole Hacker motor which is what most of us used to run on the Pattern planes. With the issues connected to running Hacker motors and the new Hacker USA importer/distributor, most of us are now running Plettys instead of Hackers.

Around here, Castle ESC's are known as "Castle Cremations". Take it for what it's worth but mine will have a Mezon 12S ESC so I can play with 12S setups down the road and it will also have the suggested Futaba servos setup in an Sbus configuration. I noticed the website has also got some less expensive servo recommendations that are also Futaba. They sell a couple of brands of servos so it will be interesting to see what you get back from them as a recommendation.
Mar 21, 2017, 11:13 PM
A very popular amongst many, including myself. I'm using a himax 210 with a castle edge hv. They are installed in a Caelus and inthe middle of completion on my Etude. The castle is fully programmable, resonably priced, coupled to a himax motor at less than $300. It's a great package that simply works.

For the Acuity 2M, I can't see why you need to drop $550 for a motor.
Mar 22, 2017, 03:14 AM
Thanks guys. I also heard back from Andrew, wow, same day! He likes the Jeti ESC and explained it has the ability to put out 8V from its BEC. He is using the Falcon slotted spinner. He said the BLS servos can run from a JR or Spectrum Rx. He talked a bit about servos, very helpful.
I have been around long enough to have first hand experience with burning CC ESC's, mine was in a heli. But I still have lots of their stuff... When I buy Castle I always go way over spec.
I'll take a look at the Himax combo, thanks.
Mar 22, 2017, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
We have a number of guys flying good sized electric powered models around here, including F3A stuff. Most of us use the Mezon ESC's because they work, are programmable, have switching BEC's (lots of guys are going that way, some including me, use small LiPo backup batteries) and best of all, they do not start fires.

The other point is that Castle doesn't make an ESC that will play with a 28 pole Hacker motor which is what most of us used to run on the Pattern planes. With the issues connected to running Hacker motors and the new Hacker USA importer/distributor, most of us are now running Plettys instead of Hackers.

Around here, Castle ESC's are known as "Castle Cremations". Take it for what it's worth but mine will have a Mezon 12S ESC so I can play with 12S setups down the road and it will also have the suggested Futaba servos setup in an Sbus configuration. I noticed the website has also got some less expensive servo recommendations that are also Futaba. They sell a couple of brands of servos so it will be interesting to see what you get back from them as a recommendation.
Wow. While yes many in the pattern ranks use the Mezon, I think the failures of the Castle are a bit over stated. They do play well with the Hackers when set up properly and give the same power output. There are some very good pilots that are using the Castle with Hacker motors (one of them helped set up mine) so that point is a bit exaggerated.

As far as Castle Cremations, that again is overstated. I have seen several of them burn in helis, and while I cannot say I have seen them all, many of the ones I did see had "user aide" in their failures. I have many CC ESC's and (touch wood) have never had one fail. In my 73" Laser with a Hacker, I am using a 120 HV Castle, in my Accuity (not the 2M) I am using a Talon 90 with a Hacker, in my 60" Laser I am using a Talon 90 with a Hacker and in my 53' Laser I am using a Talon 90 with again a Hacker motor. If they didn't work I wouldn't be using them

If you want telemetry that also is an option with several of the Castle units.

Regarding the SBUS servos, yes you can use them with a non SBUS system (like Spektrum), and there are some adjustments you can make to them using the downloadable software and CIU interface to a computer. One such adjustment is upon power-up, to prevent that initial "slamming" of the control surface, you can slow that initial ramp up. This takes affect no matter if you are using an SBUS system or a non SBUS system.
Mar 22, 2017, 10:58 AM
rocket_33, I agree with you. I know for certain the Mezon series has had their share of problems/incidents that were just like the Castle Creation issues a few years ago. I know of MANY 2m pattern planes that bit the dust during the early stages of developing a reliable Mezon series........So let's not be too quick to bad mouth any manufacturers ESC!
Mar 22, 2017, 02:16 PM
Closed Account
Although a bit difficult to find, both of my two meter ships are equipped with the OS HV 1100 controllers that are working really well. Motors are Himax 6330 210 and AXI 5330 FAI.
Mar 22, 2017, 03:51 PM
Castle makes great stuff. But they will forever be remembered for their burning ESC failures. They survived it though. But again I still overspec their products due to those days. For instance I would choose a 100A Castle for my 2m if I go that way. I need to see if they make an HV ESC with a 10s capable BEC that can output to HV servos.
Mar 22, 2017, 03:53 PM
Oh I love the slow start feature! I don't have it on any of my stuff jet but I am familiar with it.