Mar 18, 2017, 12:13 AM
Discussion

Canada Bans Drones

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...neau-1.4027486

It appears that Canada has gone full retard.

The new law, which applies to any drone (but worded so that it actually applies to ALL RC) that wieghs more than 250 grams (so basically all of them but the cheapest toy grades) and bans:

Flying within 9km of any airport (so pretty much no flying in or around any city ever)
Flying within 9 km of anyplace else a manned aircraft could theoretically land (which would include any empty field that a helicopter could fit in)
Flying more than 90 meters high (no more flying over trees or hills)
Flying within 75 meters of ANY structure, vehicle, vessel, person (including presumably yourself or your own home or vehicle) or ANIMAL ( and it makes no distinction what kind so it would include squirrels and birds)
Flying more than 500 meters away
At night
In clouds, or anywhere they think you can't see it
Over any forest fire, "emergency response scene (undefined)," or controlled airspace
And you must put your entire name, address, and phone number on the drone

So basically they have banned flying any RC aircraft wieghing more than 250 grams anywhere in Canada except at "approved fields." Hope you like high resolution footage of an empty field, because that is all you are allowed to get now if you fly in Canada.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2017, 12:31 AM
Dave's not here.
Title a little over the top, but yeah.
It sucks. My usual fields are toast now.
Mar 18, 2017, 02:23 AM
Fear only fear in life
We have had siimlar laws in place for a year now. We still fly our Mr's.

When I spoke to some law makers, remember I live in South Africa, I was told that for hobby use the changes of any one giving me hassles are just about 0%. They told me I might get a warning.

At least this way the law makers have something to fall back on if and when needed. Just make sure you do belong to the AMAA, Association of Model aircrafts

One thing it did do is remove a lot of "stupid" pilots

I have made some nice videos at the coast of ski boats launching out of small boat harbor with Police officers standing next to me. BUT I first went to the harbor master, informed him of my intentions and if he is Ok with it.
Mar 18, 2017, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthews View Post
Title a little over the top, but yeah.
It sucks. My usual fields are toast now.
How is it over the top? Where in canada could you fly that does not violate something in that insane law? Was there a chipmonk in the tree when you took off? Could a helicopter theoretically land in that empty field 5 kilometers away? And then, even if you did find such a place, what are you going to do? You can't fly more than 90 meters high and can't fly more than 500 meters away, then if somebody happens to randomly walk into the area your screwed.
Mar 18, 2017, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9245 View Post
Flying more than 90 meters high (no more flying over trees or hills)
There are a lot of trees that are less than 90 meters high!

Quote:
Where in canada could you fly that does not violate something in that insane law?
Suppose there might be some individuals who own (or knows someone who owns) a farm / rural property. As it's private land, you're unlikely going to have strangers strolling about or helicopters landing. In actual fact, I was flying my quadcopter on my family's farm today (in Australia.)
Last edited by dragonblade; Mar 18, 2017 at 06:59 AM.
Mar 18, 2017, 11:17 AM
Dave's not here.
Quote:
How is it over the top? .
Cuz Canada didn't actually ban them, just sayin'
I do understand what you're saying though.
Mar 18, 2017, 11:24 AM
Delicous salad addition
Quote:
They stopped just short of it though. OP is quite right, reading the new regulations literally, where in Canada can we meet all these new criteria? As usual, Canadian law has been poorly thought out and worded.

Transport minister says "I believe that we have to strike the right balance between encouraging the drone industry, but doing it responsibly," . How is this striking a balance?
Mar 18, 2017, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade View Post
There are a lot of trees that are less than 90 meters high!

Suppose there might be some individuals who own (or knows someone who owns) a farm / rural property. As it's private land, you're unlikely going to have strangers strolling about or helicopters landing. In actual fact, I was flying my quadcopter on my family's farm today (in Australia.)
As I read the law it does not make any distinction between private and public property or whether you have permission, or the likelihood of a helicopter landing. If there is so much as a field mouse within 75 meters of you when you takeoff or land you would technically be violating the law. Same goes for the helicopters, the law does not say where an aircraft would "probably" land, just that it COULD, so strictly speaking if a helicopter could fit you can't fly within 9km of it. Then what if a bird flies by while your flying? Your in violation again.

And even if you could get around that, what if you live in a city and don't know anyone with a farm or rural property? City parks would all be illegal to fly in because there is no way you could find any spot that is both more than 75 meters from any person, vessel, vehicle, or building AND more than 9km from an airport, helipad, or any place a helicopter could possibly land, AND is completely devoid of all life within a 75 meter radious, including passing birds. Now add in that it is already illegal to fly a drone in Canadian national parks (even if you could somehow comply with all the other regulations) and now an urban Canadian has no places in the entire country to fly.

As for trees, you might be surprised how tall they can get, especially conifers, now add in that they might be on land slightly above you as well, and things like hills in general.

This law should be void for overbreadth, but I wouldn't want to be the first one to challenge it in court, especially when the judge might not know anything about drones and might be one of the paranoid ones.
Last edited by 9245; Mar 18, 2017 at 02:15 PM.
Mar 18, 2017, 02:28 PM
Quote:
A ban in practice is still a ban. For example, in the US it is technically legal to buy a machinegun, however doing so requires not only a $200 tax and reems of paperwork and bureaucratic signoffs, but any new ones were forbidden to be added to the registry after May of 1986 so you would be limited to the remaining ones from prior to that which means that supply and demand has made them unreachable for anyone but the rich. The cheapest one you could possibly buy would be about $5,000, plus not just one $200 tax, but potentially 2, then, assuming you can get through the paperwork, approval will take 9-12 months, all while you have already paid in full. The cost goes up from there, most are $20,000+, and some are $250,000-$500,000. Are they technically legal? Sure, but for an average person you can't legally get one. FYI only one legally registered machinegun has EVER been used in a crime in US history and the criminal was a cop (he took out some vigilante justice on a drug dealer) (and yes, it was before May of 1986) so there was just as much need for the ban as there is for banning drones, NONE.

Are drones technically legal in Canada? Sure, you just can't actually fly it. So it is a ban in all but name.
Mar 18, 2017, 04:09 PM
So for the sake of discussion, what are the rules governing flight of craft under 250g? The existing pre-ban regulation that was already hard to completely satisfy?

... and what is the most capable craft we can still build&fly under 250g? I'm feeling this will push me back to 120/180 CP helis.
Mar 18, 2017, 05:26 PM
Dave's not here.
Looks like I have some research to do for additional locations. Also, I think I might "test" the law at a larger field I fly at.
Mar 18, 2017, 05:42 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Very sad for Canadians. Hope this can be reversed.
Mar 18, 2017, 05:56 PM
Only odd one out to me sounds like the flying where an aircraft could potentially land which realistically is just about anywhere.

The rest just sounds like common sense.

Though I can see it might be hard for the average AP pilot to get their head around given how many seem to have trouble using foresight.
Mar 18, 2017, 06:24 PM
Hold Down The West!
Standby for the Canadian firesales in the classifieds.

Sorry fella's.
Elections have consequences.
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Mar 18, 2017 at 06:31 PM.
Mar 18, 2017, 06:27 PM
Delicous salad addition
I'm going to wait until June before I decide what I'm going to do. Supposed to be more crap coming down the pipe then but not sure what more they can clamp down on. Hopefully they tweak some things to have it a bit more balanced. I'd like to see the distance to aerodromes reduced as well as the weight restrictions before the regs apply. 250gr is way too light.