CAP 2017- Berkeley Musketeer - RC Groups
Mar 17, 2017, 11:12 PM
B for Bruce
Discussion

CAP 2017- Berkeley Musketeer

OK kids hold on to your keesters while I take you back in the Way Back Machine. From some time back around 1992 or 1993 I bring you the Berkeley Musketeer.

The project was to originally build this thing to fly in SAM ignition events as a free flight model powered with an Ohlsson .23 side port that I've got. But time marched on and I went motorcycle racing for a while and during that time the SAM group got older and flew less and less due to simply not being able. So the framework of the Musketeer languished in the rafters of my garage shop where condensation from a failed roof insulation effort dripped on it for some years. I moved it with me to Chilliwack where I am now and at least the bones got drier accommodations for the last 6 years. But as you can see from the first picture it got stained up fairly badly from those drippy days.

Anyhow here we are in 2017 and I'm back to wanting to build and get seriously back to flying instead of just going out now and then. And the old Musketeer caught my eye. It was either finish it or crunch it up and do something else.

The first picture along with showing the staining also shows the two piece stabilizers from when I was going to use an all flying stabilator setup to hinge up for the DT function as a free flight model. But I've chosen to switch back to a conventional fixed stab and elevators.

Picture 2 shows the fin and rudder being built which I either never built or which has become lost along the way. Picture three is just the shaping well along. All the mess is fine shavings from the razor plane also sitting in the picture.

Next up is to modify the stabilizer halves and fit the tail end of the fuselage with a slot for the fixed portion.

So.... 1993 to 2017. That's 24 years. That's got to be up close to the previous oldest CAP. Or could it be possible that I'm the BEST procrastinator of all time?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2017, 03:07 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Twenty four years is pretty good Bruce, two or three years older than my own Avro Avian, but I bet there are some out there that go back even further! I'll post the entry and look forward to seeing the old airframe come to life.
Mar 19, 2017, 09:40 AM
Not even close to the record, Bruce. I have the bones of a Musketeer Standard (the 6 footer), started about 1977, and still waiting for attention! I'm sure others can beat that!
Mar 19, 2017, 12:18 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Some years ago there was a short-lived fad of pre-staining the woodwork and covering with something transparent, to get a different color, contrasting or complementary. F'r instance, spray the frame with a bright yellow, then cover with transparent red for a color combo of orange wood and red film. White trim set things off nicely

It occurred to me you might look into spraying the stained balsa with some color you like, and even up the wood color so it's the same across the structure. I've used Fiebings Leather Dye, an alcohol-based stain, mixing it with clear nitrate dope and spraying it on the all-sheet Li'l Roughneck II I built a few years ago. Results were a beautiful transparent blue on natural balsa. Can't get that product in the Nanny State of California any more because of the alcohol solvents. The local Michaels artist supply store carries a variety of colored ink for crafts that claims is alcohol-based might work. I would think something similar, compatible with the clear coating you want to use, should be OK. Just a thought
Mar 19, 2017, 06:18 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by wy8w
Not even close to the record, Bruce. I have the bones of a Musketeer Standard (the 6 footer), started about 1977, and still waiting for attention! I'm sure others can beat that!
Then I 'm out of luck. This is the oldest started but unfinished airframe I've got. I won't live long enough.... So the questionable honor will have to go to you or someone else.

BB, the intention is to cover this model with Gen-You-Wine Esaki silk that I've had for as long as this framework has been around. I figure that I should at least try ONE model done in silk before I die or go to the place where they pre-strain my Cream Of Wheat for me. The staining is actually cleaning off easily and I've also gotten a little box of oxalic acid "Wood Bleach" to clean away the residual that might be left. The silk I've got is a darker blue so it'll easily cover up any residual stains that might be present.

I've seen that trick done on some other models though and I gotta say it can look quite striking. I may do that some day. But not for this one I think.

The plan is to make it electric RC but I'm going to model a dummy Ohlsson cylinder and rear side port intake out of other materials that will stick out the top of the nose cowl.
Mar 21, 2017, 11:30 PM
Hi Bruce, Berkeley seemed to have had quite a few gas cabin models around 1940...........Buccaneer's of various sizes and slight differences, a Brigadier and three sizes of Musketeer. By counting the wing ribs I'm guessing yours is the 54" version. I've admired the little 42" version though it seems to have a lot of wing incidence and wing ribs on a lean, looking at a small plan on the NFFS website. Watching yours take shape with interest.
Mar 31, 2017, 03:03 AM
B for Bruce
Real life got in the way a lot more for the past week but I managed an hour here and there and got some progress.

First off the separate "stabilator" tails were joined into a single surface. The elevators were cut away and given their own leading edges. Then the usual shaving with the razor plane and sanding. And finally a shot of the fixed surfaces just slid into position and the rudder and elevators sitting ready for covering and hinging.

The nose was adapted with a sub bulkhead glued to the original 3/32 ply nose bulkhead with wedges between which were sanded to supply a reasonable amount of down and right thrust. Then that was fleshed in and a nose block added. You can see the rough carving done in the second picture with ports to get some cooling air into the motor insides and a vent to assist with getting air into the ESC.

And finally a bare bones shot with the pieces all just sitting in place precariously in place.
Nov 02, 2017, 03:41 PM
B for Bruce
Bringing back this one. I'm in a holding pattern on some parts needed on my failed TBD2 Taibi Dodger so I'm doing some work on the Musketeer. Only some dribs and drabs though. Still suffering from the cold and bronchitis that floored me from my last minute Marathon session intended to see the Dodger at least covered before the deadline.

So spent some time on the nose the last couple of days. removed the old maple beam mounts as no longer being needed and adding needless weight. Cut away and re-installed the radio "tray" somewhat higher to both give more room for battery placement options as well as raise the battery up a little closer to the wing. Don't want all that weight TOO low now.... I also roughed out a top block which will also be a removable hatch for access to the nose area and possibly where the battery pack might go if needed to allow for proper balancing.

So here's three shots of my morning's work to carve and sand the nose blocks to shape.

By the way. I also just weighed all the model parts, motor, flight battery, servos and wheels Basically all the stuff still needed other than covering and a few small hardware items. At this point it's 17.6 oz. So I'm looking darn good for coming in at around 20 oz flying weight. With the area of the 54 inch wing this should be pretty thermal worthy. And certainly it'll qualify as a "slow flyer".

I really get into a whole other world of surfaces and blending when it's time to carve a wing, stabilizer or fuselage like this. I find it very "Zen"ish. It's funny, I hate cutting out ribs something fierce. Don't mind actually building a wing but it's not my favorite part. But shaping the edges and tips is something that makes it all worthwhile.

Now the FUSELAGE! I'm in total joy building the fuselage. And when it comes to shaping the nose blocks or similar I'm just in Heaven. If the wings are the arms of our models and the tail sections the feet the fuselage is the body that really defines what we're building The REAL joy for me is in the fuselage.... which would explain why I simply cannot get excited over modern RC sailplanes or free flight models... They are just "broom handles wearing wings and tails" to me. Oh I know.... they are very EFFICIENT broom handles. But they simply lack any sort of personality for me. And life's too short to build ugly models......
Nov 03, 2017, 02:07 AM
B for Bruce
So about possible colour schemes.....

I wanted to do the covering on this model with real silk and dope. And I've got a little stash of silk. My first thought was a nice "normal" use of royal blue and yellow or red. I've got two yards of royal blue and one each of cub yellow and red. So royal blue for the wings and stabilizer and yellow for the fin and rudder. Then painted yellow scallops on the wing and stab and some blue scallops on the fin and an accent strip down the side of the fuselage.

But I've also got two yards of hot pink and one of silvery grey, BRIGHT lime green and even a two of royal purple. And a part of me is sitting in the back and constantly whispering "hot pink and silver grey.... hot pink and silver grey.... COME ON DUDE! You know you wanna.... hot pink and silver grey.... ". So pink wings and horizontal and grey fuselage and fin/rudder. But this only works if I can find some hot pink paint to do the trim.

For one wild and crazy moment I even had the two pink packs sitting with the neon green.... But I'm simply not that brave.

It would certainly stand out at the field and in the air... No doubt about THAT. I'm not sure I can do it though.... .

I just don't know. Any ideas?

Looking at them a little more I'm sort of thinking hot pink wings and horizontals and royal blue fuselage and verticals.....
Nov 03, 2017, 04:03 AM
Go with the pink and either silver or blue Bruce - that'll get it noticed!
Nov 06, 2017, 01:50 AM
B for Bruce
Not much more done other than a lot of small housekeeping details. Like the wing saddle fillers, rear window fill in and gussets around the rear rubber band peg area. The front of the wing will be secured with a single forward facing wire peg so in an "arrival" the wing is free to push the rubber bands off and leap away to safety. I also lined all the faces of the front hatch and the front and rear blocks on the fuselage with 1/64 plywood for durability of the edges. Still need to install the small rare earth magnets and steel slugs for the hatch... tomorrow.

The reason for the front hatch is access to the motor of course. But also because it looks like the flight battery is going up there for balance. The previous plan was a bit bigger motor and pack so the pack was going to go on the platform in the cabin up through a belly hatch. But with the model coming out so light I decided to go with a lighter and lower power motor and a smaller pack to suit the motor. I figure I don't need 220 watts in a model that's only 1.3 lbs...

The new motor is a small Turnigy 2406 that is good for around 8 amps on a 3S pack. And I can likely push it for "hot" climbs to a touch more. So call it a 100 watt motor. At an estimated final weight of 20 to 21 oz that's still a touch over 70 watts/lb . And that'll easily give me a good 60 climb off the 8 or 9 inch prop I'll be using. And in fact that's still hotter than the climb I'd expect with the Ohlsson .23 side port that the Musketeer was originally slated to receive. All that from a motor and battery that weights less than the engine. Never mind the spark coil and batteries needed to run it. It's sure amazing what technology has given us for motors and light cells to power them these last few years.

Pictures.... First is the work shown all done around the front wing mount and the all important windshield and forward side windows template. And the second shot is showing off all the little niggly details that took about 4 hours total to manage.

I'm getting VERY close to the covering job. In fact just the hatch magnets, some light final sanding and cut the slots for the hinges. Then it's time to cover... with silk... for the first time ever....
Nov 06, 2017, 02:53 AM
Nice looking bones Bruce, it'll look gorgeous covered in silk. You have probably seen this, if not I recommend a read.
http://www.antiquemodeler.org/sam_ne...ith_silk01.pdf
Nov 06, 2017, 04:58 AM
Brueski,

You now have two irons in the fire. The Berkeley Musketeer and the Taibi Dodger.

Gene
Nov 06, 2017, 12:07 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
Nice looking bones Bruce, it'll look gorgeous covered in silk. You have probably seen this, if not I recommend a read.
http://www.antiquemodeler.org/sam_ne...ith_silk01.pdf
And now that my mind has adapted to the concept of hot pink and royal blue in combination I'm actually feeling pretty stoked! It took a while of looking at the packs to wrap my brain around it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchopper56
Brueski,

You now have two irons in the fire. The Berkeley Musketeer and the Taibi Dodger.

Gene
Yes, yes I do. The Dodger is on hold a bit pending arrival of some extra long servo extension leads so I can use the micro servos in the tail. So I'm filling the time in on this Musketeer.