This thread is privately moderated by Too Many Toys, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 17, 2017, 05:16 AM
Team WarpSquad [ L ] Learner
Discussion

FrSky S6R and S8R Receiver, Setup Info For Beginners And Users.

New SXR Manual here ~ Best version so far ~ https://www.frsky-rc.com/s6r/ Compatiblity : S6R / S8R, UpdateTime : 2018-02-02, Version : 180202.
New Troubleshooting Guide here ~ https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Shooting-guide Feb 2018.

Aug 2018 ~ I will add some more recent information in post #4

Around September 2016 FrSky released the S6R Receiver with 3-Axis Stabilization.

Then around February 2017 FrSky also released the S8R Receiver with 3-Axis Stabilization.

FrSky S6R
6CH, Telemetry, S-Port.
3-Axis Stabilization.
6CH Receiver with built-in 3-axis gyro and 3-axis accelerometer.

FrSky S8R
8/16CH, Telemetry, S-Port, SBUS port.
3-Axis Stabilization.
8/16CH Receiver with built-in 3-axis gyro and 3-axis accelerometer.

Compatible Radios ~
FrSky Taranis X9D, X9D Plus/X9E/Q X7/Horus X12S/XJT in D16 mode, S6R-EU only works
with Horus X12S and Taranis X9D Plus/X9E-EU/XJT-EU in D16-EU mode.
There are other Radios that can use these Receivers, I'll add them later, e.g. Ersky9x.

Compatible Accessories, Firmware, Apps.
FrSky offers an STK, USB dongle to Program/Update/Setup/Configuration of the S6R and S8R Receivers.
This STK, USB dongle is used in conjunction with a PC and Config Apps for all Setup or Configuration etc.

There is also another Setup/Configuration option, a LUA Script that runs directly out of your Radio Tx.
To run this LUA option you need OpenTx Firmware 2.2 or above, currently Ver 2.2 is only Beta Firmware.
This is best for another Thread in my opinion. The LUA option does work great.

From FrSky are Configuration Apps, S6R Config Software V1.3, current and S8R Config Software V1.0.
There is also third party Config App by Mike Blandford, Ersky9x developer called SportSet.exe (S6R)
These three PC tools all work very well.

The current FrSky Firmware for the S6R contains a complete bundle of Firmware, Config App and LUA
script, .pdf data sheet all in one 14.4Mb .zip package found here.
The S8R Configuration App 14.1MB .zip package can be found here
As far as I know there are currently no known bugs or issues with the above Firmwares or Config Apps.

The Manual for the STK, USB dongle is located here.
You need the STK dongle if you want to setup the S6R/S8R from your Computer.
You can also use the STK, USB dongle to Upgrade FrSky S-Port Receivers or Telemetry Sensors as well.

There are Hack versions around (here) but I don't want to include them in this thread for the sake of simplicity.

Beta Firmware for both the S6R and S8R are available here S6R and S8R.
The beta firmware has added vibration dampening for, e.g. Big Gassers, the current firmware is
fine for most users though.

Now in the interest of keeping things simple here are a few rules if you like for this thread.

Please keep the Radio topics to Taranis X9D and Taranis X9D Plus only.

Please limit the Configuration conversation to the STK, USB dongle and PC configuration method only.

Either the FrSky Config Apps or Mike's Apps are fine and topics for both the S6R and S8R Receivers
and any sundry items like, e.g. the Aloft, S.Port Voltage Sensor (Mike's also) are OK subjects.

I don't want to seem like a control freak but a recent S6R/S8R thread was totally ruined by BS
from a few selfish members. I would like this thread to help people with easily understood information and BS free.

At least if there is one S6R / S8R thread on a single continuum for basic setup stuff it will help beginners the most.
Last edited by Too Many Toys; Aug 19, 2018 at 11:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2017, 05:17 AM
LINKS ~
If you don't know what a particular term is or what it does in OpenTx, try this ~
http://open-txu.org/glossary

FrSky recently changed their entire website, so here are the more recent links. (Aug 2017)
FrSky Home: https://www.frsky-rc.com/
S6R Page: https://www.frsky-rc.com/s6r/
S8R Page: https://www.frsky-rc.com/s8r/
There is a new Beta, Convenient / Simple mode package, Firmware and Config for the S6R (only) which will only work
with components contained within it's own package. Don't use these components with Standard Firmware or
Config App or LUA etc or they may crash your PC.
A more recent WIN (10) driver for the STK dongle here from Silabs ~ https://www.silabs.com/products/deve...ge-vcp-drivers It's a Silabs chip inside it.
If you can't find the link you want here just go to the FrSky website and hunt around, read any comments first to make sure you are getting what you actually need.

Here are a couple of links to some YouTube videos I've done with the S6R.
The Z-84 Demo and Phoenix 2000 Demo show how the S6R or S8R will bring
your Plane or Wing back to Level Flight when you let go of the Radio Sticks.
Here I put the planes over hard on one wing then just released the sticks, also a couple of dives
thrown in. The Flutter at the end of the Z-84 video is what happens if you have the Gain in Self Level
set too high, you will get speed wobbles in the Elevator.
S6R on Z-84 Auto Leveling Mode Demo ~
FrSky S6R on a Z-84, Wing Wing, Auto Leveling Mode Demo (1 min 38 sec)

FrSky S6R - Phoenix 2000 - Self Level Demo ~
FrSky S6R Phoenix 2000 Self Level Demo (3 min 45 sec)

The next one I just let the Phoenix 2000 glider just drift around in the wind by itself then
dived it down to the runway and let it land by itself, for the entire flight after the first turn
and dive I only made around three course corrections, the S6R and Wind did the rest.
FrSky S6R Hands Free Flight Phoenix 2000 ~
FrSky S6R Hands Free Flight Phoenix 2000 (4 min 37 sec)
Last edited by Too Many Toys; Nov 30, 2017 at 07:59 AM.
Mar 17, 2017, 05:20 AM

Quick Mode

Reserved :

Some Quick Mode Updates:

Since around early July 2017 there has been a new Mode added to the S6R, S8R (SXR family).

Currently called Quick Mode, previously called Convenient or simple Mode also.

Basically Quick Mode (or Convenient or Simple Mode) is an S6R, S8R mode for Dummies nothing more.
It was put out in response to people who were having trouble with wrapping their head around
Two switches for mode selection and who also needed a safety blanket "Urgent Mode" a panic button.
This Urgent Mode (Self Level) is selected when you take Ch12 to a +100% or Down position.

In this new Quick Mode ~
Ch10 alone gives you Self Level Mode when (-100%) Up, Stability Mode when (0.0%) Mid and
OFF when (+100%) Down.
There is No Ch11 switch needed and therefore No Knife Edge or 3D hover functions available.

They call these Modes "Starter Mode", "Middle Mode" and "Export Mode", misspelt "Expert" in some cases.

The latest or Beta firmware sets Quick Mode as the Default mode, so you need to [un-Tick] QM
in the PC Config App or LUA for Normal mode usage.

Update: The Mid (July) 2017 Beta Firmware is now a Full Release ~

Currently Jan 2018, S6R firmware ~
2017-12-27, 171204 Fix the bug that compensate is not correct in VTAIL mode...225KB.

Currently Jan 2018, S8R firmware ~
2017-12-27, 171213, Fix the VTAIL error...217KB.

Quick Mode set as default may have changed, so just be aware and check if you upgrade the FW. ! !

The PC Config App (SXR), Jan 2018 ~
S6R
2017-12-27, 171204
1. PC config version to 1.8.4
2. Pc_CONFIG 1.8.4 solve the problem that it will crash sometimes...14.08MB

S8R
2017-11-16, 170925
1:resolve some issues about “Save” and “Load” Actions.
2:Including PC config tool(SXR-PC config)
3:Including S6R/S8R lua for X7/X9D Plus
4:PC config version to 1.8.3.... 14.48MB

Either of the above PC Config Apps should work on either the S6R, S8R (SXR) receivers.
Use V 1.8.3 Config or later as a couple before that were a little buggy.

Currently the only documentation for QM is in the "readme" file that comes came in the firmware package.
There is nothing magic or new about QM it's just rearranged or re-branded, same old, same old.

This is part of the "readme" text file ~
1. change convenient mode to quick mode for pc config and lua
2. pc config version to 1.7.1 ****** Old Versions now, see above ******
1.fix the RSSI too high issue
2.change pc config program's name to SxRConfig(1.7) for S6R and S8R.
3.lua script add convenient mode select.
1. fix the RSSI issue

1.add config convenient Mode
2.defualt mode is simpleMode
3.In Convenient Mode:
channel10 <mid starter mode
channel10 =mid middle mode
channel10 >mid export
4.when throttle is low, channel12 has passed mid two times in 3s, will enter selfcheck mode.
5.when channel12 >mid, enter urgent mode.
6.blue led will flash 3s when power on in convenient Mode.

Please note the differences in the Switch Function between Quick Mode and Original Modes.
Also the Blue LED flashes at Power ON. The Blue LED has since been Removed at Power-ON.
It was causing delays if the SXR re-booted or re-set during flight, after a Power Failure or Brown-Out event.

The above is fairly old now.

A new Manual should be available in the near future. Added: Jan 2018.
Last edited by Too Many Toys; Sep 27, 2018 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Stuff ! !
Mar 17, 2017, 05:21 AM
And this one: Many of the links above do not work after the FrSky website shuffle.

Aug 2018

A lot of things have changed since the release of the S6R, S8R, (SXR) receiver.

Currently there are Two primary ways to use this device ~

As Originally released with, Stability, Auto Level, Knife Edge, 3D Hover mode and Off (normal Rx).

Original needs two switches to select 1 of 5 modes, using a combination of Ch10 and Ch11.
Or
Quick Mode with, Auto Level (beginner), Stability (middle) and Off (expert).

QM uses only a single switch on Ch10 for the above three modes.

QM also uses Ch12 (+100%) Down, as Panic mode (Auto Level).

Kinfe Edge and 3D Hover are not available if using Quick Mode.

There has not been a Firmware update or new Manual for several months now, this is a
good thing as it shows people are reasonably happy with the current setup and information.

The SXR Manual latest release was around Feb 2018.
The S6R and S8R (SxR) Firmwares were last updated around Apr 2018.
Check the Dates beside them on the FrSky download to see you are getting the lasest versions.
https://www.frsky-rc.com/s6r/
https://www.frsky-rc.com/s8r/

Now having said that if you buy a new SXR the first thing you should do is ~
Update the Firmware regardless.
Download the latest Manual.
There is no guarrantee your Rx has the latest Firmware, it could have sat on the sellers
shelf or been at the bottom of the box or drawer for months and you would never know.

I re-flash using the modified cable and directly out of my X9D+ Tx rear module bay.
You can use the FrSky STK dongle (used for SXR config) also for re-flashing the SXR.

By default after re-flashing the SXR will or should be in Quick Mode, remember that.
Un-tick the QM [box] in the PC config or LUA to use as Original release if QM is not wanted.

Config of the SXR ~
Use a PC and STK dongle or use LUA script in your Radio Tx (needs OpenTx 2.2.> and above).

I don't use LUA and have never used FrOS or Horus, go to the main RCGroups thread for that.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Port-Telemetry

All of my setup is done using the PC and STK dongle and on an X9D+ Radio Tx.

The same basic setup methods are used for LUA, FrOS and Horus or other Radio only on
different platforms. (FrOS uses different/reversed values for SW Up/Down, see manual)
Last edited by Too Many Toys; Aug 19, 2018 at 01:21 PM.
Mar 17, 2017, 04:04 PM
Very - nice - thanks for taking the time to set this up and carry forward the information. If I may, it's probably worth mentioning in the initial description that there are at least two "Version 1.3" of the configuration app.
Latest blog entry: FrSky Long Range!
Mar 17, 2017, 08:24 PM
Thanks SystemsGuy, I'm hoping FrSky remove that dodgy 1.3 version. I'll add a pic of what you should expect to see.
If people get the .zip bundle linked above they should be OK.
Mar 17, 2017, 08:45 PM

SportSet.exe

If you want to use Mike's configuration .exe linked above you should download the original SportSet.zip (5.33MB) first
then download the latest version of SportSet(?).zip also, (8) currently.
The "original" has System files needed by your PC the updates don't include these files.

This may save you some time trying to work it out if it didn't work
Mar 20, 2017, 11:45 AM

Basics 1

From the original S6R thread that was unfortunately ruined by Trolls I learned a lot of things.
As I got in at ground level I saw many of the problems people were having almost from day 1.

The S6R and now S8R are basically a good design and do the job they were designed for very well.
As a beginner these receivers will save your bacon and keep you from crashing most of the time
unless you are way too low or do something really dumb or configured it wrong.

If everybody had one of these units on their very first plane, many would still have them intact.

Now I'm not trying to be smart or sarcastic or anything, but this is what mostly happens.
If you set up the S6R or S8R according to the Manual and it doesn't work, I can pretty much
guarantee 99.5 %
"It's Your Fault".

So either you didn't read the Manual properly or didn't understand what it was trying to tell you.
(as far as Manuals go it isn't perfect, but better than many out there)

You have missed something in the Configuration App or not set an option correctly.

Or you don't have your Radio Tx set up correctly, e.g a wrong switch order or direction
a wrong setting for Channels or even those little "Tick" boxes in a function not enabled etc.

You only need to overlook one tiny item and the entire thing may not work.
Don't rush ! ! Have another look, check everything one step at a time.

Here is a really good Tip, "Buy Two Units".
Why ?, because if they both don't work guess what ?

And for the price of an extra unit you just saved yourself hours of frustration and a week
or two waiting for a new unit to arrive, not to mention dozens of e-mails to the vendor.

Firstly when you get the Rx out of the box or even before that, Download the .zip package from
FrSky (S6R or S8R or both) that are linked above. These .zip packages have everything you need.
While you're at it get the STK Manual so you'll know how to plug it in, set the switch/cable etc.
There is also a Windows Driver that you may need for the STK, try it first and see without it.

Set up the PC Config .exe Apps you want to use and have them ready to go. Test them first, you
can tab through the screens to have a look to familiarize yourself, though they won't be active.

Before you can make the S6R or S8R work once it has been configured in the Win App you need
your Radio Tx set up.
Even though these Receivers are either 6Ch or 8Ch they use internally Ch9, Ch10, Ch11 and
Ch12 to make them do Stuff.
Important: In your Radio you must use D16 mode and you need at least 12 Channels Active.
Default is only 8 Channels active.
Ch9 needs to be setup on a Pot or Slider.
Ch10 needs to be setup on a 3 way switch.
Ch11 needs to be setup on a 3 way switch also. Ch11 is not needed for a Delta or Elevon plane.
Ch12 needs to be setup on a 2 or 3 way switch, either will work.

When you order your S6R or S8R this will give you time to get out your Radio and set it all
up before the package arrives in the mail. The "Bar-graph" Screen Monitor page on your radio is
very useful here so you can see if the channels are actually doing what you programmed them to.

The Instructions in the Manual for setting the function slider/switches are lets say a
"little weird" it's the first time wording or syntax like that has been used, it confused
everybody at first. Best follow the bracketed versions, e.g. SW Up, SW Center, SW Down, written
below the FrSky version if unsure. Or see below.

Here's how the switches need to be set up in the real world ~

Firstly the Configuration for a Delta or Elevon or V-Tail type Plane.

Ch9 is setup on a plain Pot or Slider. It will need to be offset later, but for now it will work OK.

Ch10, ^ up position will give you Auto Level Mode active. FrSky default (Radio ON) position.
Ch10, - mid position will give you all functions OFF. Normal Receiver mode.
Ch10, v down position will give you Stability Mode active.
The Ch10 Switch therefore acts as a Mode_Off_Mode configuration.

In a Delta/Wing/Elevon configuration Ch11 is not needed the Ch11 is ignored by the receiver if used.

Ch12 needs to be default at either -100% (Up ^) OR +100% (Down v) either will work.
Then it needs to be changed to 0.0% (- Mid) and then back to either +/- 100% and repeated Three
times in Three seconds before the Self Check Function will activate.
You can also press the F/S, Bind Button on the receiver for a Self Check function.

The Basic setup above.
Slightly advanced below.

To set a Failsafe event to activate Auto Level set Failsafe (Custom) Ch10 to -100% value (^ Up).
You could also set Failsafe Ch9 (Master Gain Level) to some value above 0.0% (- mid)
For an exact value check the Screen Monitor (Bar-graph) page in your Radio and Ch9 Pot value.
Enter that value for Ch9 into the Failsafe table (Custom Setup) also.
If you don't set a Ch9 value the default could be 0.0% (-mid) which is actually Gain OFF.

Ch9 Slider or Pot has an active range of only 0.0% to +100% or -100% to 0.0% this is 50% of
what a normal Pots rotation would be. This 0.0% is Low and either the + or - side is High.
There are various ways to offset this to appear as a standard Slider or Pot rotation would be.

So in effect normally at Radio Turn ON, the default setting is for Auto Level Mode active.
More to follow ~

BTW When setting up a Delta/Elevon config "You Must Not Have Any Mixing In The Radio" all of
the Mixing needs to be handled by the S6R or S8R internally or there WILL be conflicts.
You can Reverse a Channel in the radio if needed but that's it.
So just setup a Standard Plane Model in the Radio, 4 controls, AETR, even though R may or
may not be used.
Last edited by Too Many Toys; Mar 23, 2017 at 01:11 AM.
Mar 20, 2017, 12:22 PM
Can you take another look at your table? That's the opposite of the way I think the manual reads and I have mine setup, but I just got off a long flight and don't have the radio in front of me.. I don't think I changed - or at least not intentionally - the default switch config. Let me know and I'll edit this post.

Stabilization, CH10, greater than 1550ms, SW default Down, 100%
Off, CH10, 1500ms, SW default Middle, 0%
AutoLevel, Ch10, less than 1450ms, SW default Up, -100%
Mar 20, 2017, 10:40 PM

Basics 2

All of the above were settings for Delta Wing or Elevon and V-Tail Planes.

Now we go to the Configuration for a Normal or Standard configuration Plane.

The Ch10 Switch Ordering is very different here from a Delta setup, though the Ch10, - mid
position performs the same function OFF, or Normal Receiver mode enabled.

Ch11 now also comes in to play as part of the Mode setting function.

Ch10, ^ up and Ch11 - mid will give you Knife Edge Mode active.
Ch10, v down and Ch11 - mid will give you Stability Mode active.
Ch10, v down and Ch11 ^ up will give you 3D Hover Mode active.
Ch10, v down and Ch11 v down will give you Auto Level Mode active.

If Ch10 is - mid, all functions are OFF. Normal Receiver mode. The same as above for Elevon mix.

The Ch10 Switch therefore acts as a Mode_Off_Mode configuration.
The Ch11 Switch therefore acts as a Mode_Mode_Mode configuration.

But using the FrSky default convention of all switches ^ UP at Radio turn ON in Conventional
Plane Mode will not set any Mode as a default at Radio turn ON.

Personally I think FrSky should have retained continuity as in Delta Mode where Auto Level was
the default at Radio turn ON.

So to set a Failsafe event to activate Auto Level set Failsafe Ch10 to +100% value (v down).
And you also need Failsafe Ch11 set to +100% (v down).
As above setting Failsafe Ch9 (Master Gain Level) to some value above 0.0% (- mid).
For an exact value check the Screen Monitor (Bar-graph) page in your Radio and Ch9 Pot value.
Enter that value for Ch9 into the Failsafe table (Custom Setup) also.

If you don't set a Ch9 value the default could be 0.0% (-mid) which is actually Gain OFF.

Ch9 Slider or Pot has an active range of only 0.0% to +100% or -100% to 0.0% this is 50% of
what a normal Pots rotation would be. This 0.0% is Low and either the + or - side is High.
There are various ways to offset this to appear as a standard Slider or Pot rotation would be.

The way the Receiver reads the Ch9 Pot, Slider is a little strange. (Master Gain function).
By Default it looks like this ~
Fully Anti-Clockwise <<.
<| 1000Ás = 100% Gain >>>>>>>>>1500Ás, Mid = No, 0% Gain >>>>>>>>>>> 2000Ás | = 100% Gain also
Fully Clockwise >>.
NOTE: Mid way is Off or Zero Gain.
With the Pot rotated fully < anti-clockwise the Receiver sees it as a High Level.
With the Pot rotated fully > clockwise the Receiver sees it also as a High Level.
With the Pot set to the middle of rotation the Receiver sees it as a Low Level.
We'll get onto this later and how to offset it to appear as a normal Pot would behave.

If you set Ch9 at weight 50 and then offset it 50, Ch 9 will appear to work as a normal Pot would.
Use Mixes in your radio to do it.

Ch12 needs to be default at either -100% (Up ^) OR +100% (Down v) either will work.
Then it needs to be changed to 0.0% (- Mid) and then back to either +/- 100% and repeated Three
times in Three seconds before the Self Check Function will activate.
You can also press the F/S, Bind Button on the receiver for a Self Check function.

If for some reason, and there's a few, you didn't want to ever use one of the above modes on
your Plane it's a simple matter of Locking Out the unwanted Switch position by going into
the Special Functions menu in your Radio and use the Channel Override, set it to whatever
value you need to force that switch position to some other level when/if it is selected.

This is a good way for example to add a Throttle Cut to some switch or switch position.
Always have any Channel Overrides at the Bottom of the Special Functions list otherwise
something else after may cancel it out.
And remember to Tick the little "ON" box to the right or it won't be active
Last edited by Too Many Toys; Dec 03, 2017 at 02:39 AM.
Mar 20, 2017, 11:24 PM
Also Also Reserved.

If you have a silly question just jump in and ask.

There is NO such thing as a silly question, just silly answers.
Last edited by Too Many Toys; Mar 21, 2017 at 06:13 AM.
Mar 22, 2017, 07:01 PM

Basics 3

The Configuration App.

As mentioned in the first Post there are three PC Configuration Apps currently.
Two of these Apps are from FrSky for the S6R and S8R and a third is from Mike Blandford.
Links are provided above.I'll go with the FrSky versions to start with, but they all work
pretty much the same really.

Wing Type tab:
This allows you to set which type of plane you will be using as the Receiver needs to
know if it has to support any internal mixing for Elevon or V-Tail type planes.

One other thing, you may notice the AUX1 and AUX2 options in this tab on the right side.
Not every plane requires the use of AIL2 and ELE2 options on the receiver.
So users requested that there was an option to disable these two channels and use them
for any other function that was needed. So if enabled AUX1 and AUX2 now become Ch5 and Ch6
which can be used for whatever you want.

Mounting Type tab:
This allows the Receiver to be set and placed in one of four positions inside the plane.
Flat (Label Up), Flat up-side-down, and on it's side facing either Left or Right.
The Heading Direction arrow must always be the forward direction of the plane.

Gain Setting tab:
These allow fine tuning, a little like the Trims on your Radio, if unsure just use the defaults.
Compensation Direction ~
These are just Channel reversing options in case something is going in the wrong direction.

Now this could be important:
Just because all of your Control Surfaces (Ail, Ele) may work correctly when you move the
Radio sticks, does not mean they will also be correct when driven by the Stability or
Self Level function.This was the case on my Delta Wing, I had to reverse the Ail in the Radio.

You need to thoroughly check every surface in the OFF Mode and all other Modes as well.

If you think it's not all working, "IT WILL", you just need to find the correct combination
for Channel/Servo direction in either the Radio or the Config App.(No Radio Mixing just Ch Rev only)

Offset Angle Setting:
Another Fine Tuning tab where you can offset anything that needs it.

Accelerometer Calibration tab:
This is where you teach the Receiver "Which Way Is Up" up basically.
No two accelerometer chips are exactly the same, during the manufacturing process they could
also be attached with tiny variances, so you need to teach the Receiver where Level actually is.

Here you need to Set the position required. Hold the receiver steady then hit the Calibrate Button.
When you do this the Yellow light will flash and the Accelerometer readings above will freeze.
Once the receiver has recorded and saved that value the Yellow light goes OFF, the readings return.
You then hit the Next button, re-position the Rx, hold it steady and hit the calibrate button again.
Repeat this for all six positions, Done !
The cycle will repeat endlessly so just stop when you get back to the first position.
As long as you don't hit the Calibrate Button once again. If you do just make sure the position is
correct and held still. I think if you mess up a single orientation you could just repeat it alone.

Now you should be able to test the Receiver on the bench or in the plane if you like.
Remove the Prop ! ! ! ALWAYS.

If your Radio is setup correctly with all Twelve Channels active and programmed correctly you
need to Bind the Rx to the Radio.
Power ON the Receiver while also holding the F/S, Bind Button depressed, once ON you can release
the Bind Button. In the Model you require on your radio press the [Bind] option,it chirps.
The Red LED on the receiver should stop blinking and go solid, all Done !
Turn both units OFF and re-power both ON again. Tx First.

If you pick up and wiggle the Receiver you should notice the Yellow LED flashing, this is good.
The yellow LED flashing indicates the Acc/Gyro is sensing movement, it will react accordingly.
Unless in OFF mode.

The Self Check Function:
If you couldn't be bothered reading everything on the page at least read this below.
It is very Important ! ! !

This function is performed to firstly to calibrate the Radio Stick movement endpoints to the
receiver (it saves these values) and also it saves the current angle of Attitude (hold it steady)
so it knows where it should keep the planes Attitude at during Level Flight.
This Attitude should be set at very slightly Nose Up to prevent the plane going into a dive when
in Auto Level Mode as this could result in a high speed dive and crash.

You need to do the Ch12 Switch Flip thing, 3 times in 3 seconds to enter this mode.See above.
Or you can press the F/S, Bind Button on the receiver also.

The plane must be set at the correct attitude and not moved during this Self Check operation.
Once Ch12 is activated, after a second or so the control surfaces will Twitch (Dance) then stop.
Only after the "dance" (2 sec) has stopped do you start the Sticks calibration.

Depending on the Plane Type set you need to move the Aileron, Elevator and Rudder to the
extreme endpoints of the Sticks travel, only a couple of times. Do Not do the Throttle stick ~ yet.
If you did, Power Off, start again ! !.

Added: It has recently come to light that Moving the Throttle stick will End the Self Check
calibration function. This is not mentioned in the Manual, but I thought it may be worth a mention.
So if you have the Thr Ch disabled (Kill Switch) it may pay to briefly arm the Thr Ch and move the
Throttle nearly Full Up to guarantee the Self Check has fully completed to EXIT. Remove the Prop first ! !

Finally
Added: There has been an official comment from FrSky ~ moving the Throttle to Exit the Self check is NOT required.

Power Off the Receiver. then Power On again. Added: Not official but usually good practice.
Self Check is now completed.
If the Throttle is NOT Low it may prevent you from starting the Self Check.

If you do not complete this Calibration step correctly bad things may occur during flight, you've been warned.

Now the Receiver has recorded these endpoints and also the Attitude you set, you should be good to go.
Check everything is working in the correct direction, in OFF and all other Modes.
Now Check It Again ! !

If you've done all that and it still does not work, see the comment in Red at the top of the thread.

Otherwise Congratulations !
FrSky S6R, S8R Self Check, the correct way. (1 min 36 sec)

I'm surprised nobody has commented yet
In the above Video you will notice that when I calibrate the Sticks that the Elevon surfaces don't track exactly
with the Stick movements applied.
This is perfectly normal ! !
In fact if you keep moving the sticks they will eventually catch up but it does not matter during the Self Check
as the Receiver is learning your Travel Limits and not concentrating on driving the surfaces.

After the Check has fully completed the Surfaces will track correctly after the power OFF/ON reset.
If they don't you have stuffed the Check and it failed.
Surfaces that don't track correctly or only partly is the Prime Indicator that you screwed up the Self Check.
Simply repeat the Self Check.

Main S6R thread ~ https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Port-Telemetry
My New S6R, S8R, SXR Troubleshooting guide here ~ https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Shooting-guide
New S6R Manual here, the best version so far ~ https://www.frsky-rc.com/s6r/

Added: Jun 2018
When you setup everything and it does not work, check it in the Channels Monitor page in your Radio.
Instead of Faffing about for Hours, Days, Weeks trying to figure out what is wrong use the Ch Monitor,
that's what it's there for.

If you are not using the Ch Monitor page in your Radio to check stuff is actually doing what you expect
it to do then you are just wasting yours/our time. "I thought I had it set up as such and such" isn't a valid excuse.

If you use this Radio page you will have a definitive answer in a few seconds. If it's not working there, it's not working !

You may have something set in the Inputs page (Radio or PC app) but it's not that important.
The most important place it needs to be is in the Mixes page of the Radio. That reflects the Output stage.

See attached below for the Channels Monitor (Bargraph) page you should be using to test / verify stuff.
Last edited by Too Many Toys; Jun 10, 2018 at 01:03 AM.
Mar 22, 2017, 11:43 PM
Embrace the suck!
OK, I'll bite, I could use a silly answer! Thanks for making this thread by the way, the other one was becoming quite...cumbersome.

First, how is failsafe set? I've RTFM several times, not seeing it.

Second, I'm losing telemetry at crazy close ranges, and constantly. I did recently upgrade my antenna to removable so I could use the FrSky 5dB antenna, but that works fine with other receivers to scary los distances. It seems to be just this receiver, and only telemetry as control works fine to long ranges. Also happens with the FrSky 2dB antenna screwed on. Any ideas what that could be about?

Setup is OpenTx 2.1.9 on Taranis Plus Tx. S6R is installed in a Flyzone Sensei and works great for normal, gyro stab, and self level other than loses a bit of altitude in SL mode...I can tweak that later. No knife edge or hover with this plane, just wanted to try the S6R in something gentle that I was familiar with first.

Thanks,
Mark
Mar 23, 2017, 12:00 AM
Hey Mark - I don't have my S6R in front of me, but I'm pretty sure you set Failsafe on the tx side - go down to the same menu you select protocol (D16), and one of the next items should be your failsafe config.

On telemetry - I've had my wing out to pretty decent LoS distance and not heard any telemetry warnings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyathyrio
OK, I'll bite, I could use a silly answer! Thanks for making this thread by the way, the other one was becoming quite...cumbersome.

Second, I'm losing telemetry at crazy close ranges, and constantly. I did recently upgrade my antenna to removable so I could use the FrSky 5dB antenna, but that works fine with other receivers to scary los distances. It seems to be just this receiver, and only telemetry as control works fine to long ranges. Also happens with the FrSky 2dB antenna screwed on. Any ideas what that could be about?

Setup is OpenTx 2.1.9 on Taranis Plus Tx. S6R is installed in a Flyzone Sensei and works great for normal, gyro stab, and self level other than loses a bit of altitude in SL mode...I can tweak that later. No knife edge or hover with this plane, just wanted to try the S6R in something gentle that I was familiar with first.

Thanks,
Mark
Mar 23, 2017, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyathyrio

Thanks,
Mark
Sorry didn't see this till just now, I've been busy typing stuff
To set the Failsafe as SystemsGuy said, it's in the Radio Tx side you need to go to the "Custom" settings for
failsafe and you get the box to set all Channels, or in OpenTx Companion is quicker
I had never used "Custom" either until it was pointed out,

Usually the Higher the Gain the antenna has the more directional it will become.
As the standard Omni pattern is like a Donut there is a weak spot directly pointing out of the Top.
Maybe it is more pronounced with the higher gain antenna. There is/was an Antenna Mod thread somewhere.
In the end they went with the External XJT Module, it's easier, I have one.
I think we all get RSSI errors when very close < 0.5 meters even with the 2 dB antenna, RF swamping ?
The Rx could be faulty, it's rare, but a mate had an X6R wouldn't range check past 25 feet.
Last edited by Too Many Toys; Mar 23, 2017 at 01:09 AM.

Quick Reply