Mar 15, 2017, 03:53 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Discussion

Best Vinyl for Sail Suit Numbers

What is the best sign vinyl for sail numbers & graphics? My sail suits are mylar.

Pete
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2017, 04:15 PM
If you are concerned about performance, vinyl isn't your best option. Vinyl has inherent rigidity, and will compromise sail shape, especially in light air. A permanent felt marker is a better option.

If you really want vinyl because it looks good, and you don't mind losing some performance, standard vinyl at any vinyl cutting shop is fine.
Mar 15, 2017, 05:46 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
I'm also considering cutting stencils and spraying with that waterproof "artificial flowers" paint they sell at Michaels

Pete
Mar 15, 2017, 07:25 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
Yep, that's a great option. I researched it myself as I've seen many beautifully done sails with it. Anything like this or "sharpie" is practically impossible to remove if you error on it so be sure it's what you want before pullin the trigger,!! Design Master ( at Michaels) is the brand name I was recommended by buddy Skippers in another club that uses it to make the afore mentioned sails look so good,!! Good luck which ever you decide. Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Mar 15, 2017, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by haxawsnavy View Post
Anything like this or "sharpie" is practically impossible to remove
Actually, inked on characters are easier to remove than most stick ons.... so long as the ink is not through a seam. I had video up on YouTube many years ago, but when they sold out and moved everything it got lost because my account was inactive. I'll make another soon....
Mar 16, 2017, 12:12 PM
Permanent marker numbers are easy to remove with acetone and a rag. Just keep the acetone away from any panel seams where there might be glue.
Mar 16, 2017, 12:26 PM
Actually Isopropyl Alcohol works well and is let toxic than Acetone.
Also it will not attack some types of plastic like Acetone does.
This is what I use to clean off sharpie ink:
http://www.londondrugs.com/psp-isopr.../L2301232.html

I also use it to clean surfaces before gluing or painting.
Mar 16, 2017, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibldrc View Post
Actually, inked on characters are easier to remove than most stick ons.... so long as the ink is not through a seam. I had video up on YouTube many years ago, but when they sold out and moved everything it got lost because my account was inactive. I'll make another soon....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
Permanent marker numbers are easy to remove with acetone and a rag. Just keep the acetone away from any panel seams where there might be glue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy101 View Post
Actually Isopropyl Alcohol works well and is let toxic than Acetone.
Also it will not attack some types of plastic like Acetone does.
This is what I use to clean off sharpie ink:
http://www.londondrugs.com/psp-isopr.../L2301232.html

I also use it to clean surfaces before gluing or painting.
Ya'll skippers wernt there when I was Tryin ALL those methods when I had asked it, 5 diff. chems 1/2 roll paper towels hours of soak time, Just to see still a ghost n ruin the sail frosting texture.!!!What a MESS,!!! https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3&postcount=15 NOT EVER AGAIN sharpie on my sails,!! Performance degradation is non perceptible of using MY "stick- ons". Of course, everyone can make their own decisions. Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Mar 17, 2017, 12:50 AM
Well, I'll be the disagreeing one today. I have used stick on numbers a few times and they have worked well. I have made my own using the sticky back Dacron that we use for sail corners and deck patches. As they are cloth they are very flexible and simply don't distort the sail. But maybe a bit heavy, and I mean a bit as in very little. I used my niece's CriCut cutter. I started out just printing on paper to get the size set right but after that put the knife blade in and went to town. Took a while but nice clean crisp numbers.

This last time, as in now, I used Chuck at radiosailing.net and he produced my current number on nice sheets of very thin sign vinyl and the set includes a full set of sail numbers, country letters, country insignia, proper sized hull numbers (for IOM) and even a few deck limit marks. From what I have seen so far (most of year of sailing) my boat's performance wasn't wanting because of my stick on numbers. They don't fade, are clear as can be, easily read (the most important thing about the sail number) and I will do it again for my next set of sails. Well worth it for me even including postage to Canada. Although Chuck did a good job to keep that at a minimum.

I tried using the Sharpie paint pens. They went on OK and didn't fade but my #1 jib number kept flaking off. THe main was just fine but I guess the jib flaps a bit more and fractured the paint. But nice and dark and easy to see. You have to watch that you do one side at a time and let the paint dry for a few hours before doing the other side.

-Barry
Mar 17, 2017, 07:19 AM
Brighto?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
Be careful with acetone and dacron sails - it melts!
Mar 19, 2017, 07:32 PM
Trick with stick on letters and numbers is to make them as thin as possible, but according to class rules and within reason that they can be seen. The narrower the number the less possible distortion to sail fabric. I have used them for years on both mylar and dacron with no fabric distortion. Still, I will stencil them on when I feel its needed or the customer has a preference.
Mar 19, 2017, 07:44 PM
IBEX Lair, Cavalero Hill

Don't sniff the glue!

I find that it is not the vinyl that distorts the sail, it's the adhesive that shrinks as it ages. At least that's what my ex-wife told me.
Mar 20, 2017, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA 42 View Post
I find that it is not the vinyl that distorts the sail, it's the adhesive that shrinks as it ages. At least that's what my ex-wife told me.
As my Mothers sews also, This IS a reasonable concept/possibility she says. As well as the "material" getting brittle n cracking away like some large Tee shirt graphics used to. (I had forgotten about those I wore as a kid). But I will take that chance over EVER fighting a lost battle of sharpie on expensive (to me) sails. I have really great natural adhesive removers that do no damage when the "stick-ons" need refreshing /replaced. Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Mar 20, 2017, 03:57 PM
Buy vinyl from a shop that does car wraps. The stuff isn't supposed to shrink. Especially given the price you have to pay to your car wrapped. Choose vinyl designed for outdoor use