Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 15, 2017, 03:36 PM
Discussion

3 way video switcher with vector

Can anyone help with this? (Maybe even a hand drawn schematic) I want to use 3 flight cams, using a hobbyking 3 way switcher and 12 & 5v cameras with the vector.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Ron
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2017, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway723
Can anyone help with this? (Maybe even a hand drawn schematic) I want to use 3 flight cams, using a hobbyking 3 way switcher and 12 & 5v cameras with the vector.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Ron
I use the 3-way from GetFPV http://www.getfpv.com/3-ch-rc-video-switch.html.

I have a Cessna 182 set up for "sight seeing" to show friends and family how cool FPV can be and give tours around our ranch. I set up a basic way point course, take off and switch the cameras around and others use my goggles while I fly from my LCD screen until I need to land.

I run the video through the Vector just like a single camera.

I control the switching by connecting the 3-way switch to a separate channel on my receiver (not one that the Vector uses) and have it mapped to a 3 way toggle on my radio.

Using another 3 way toggle switch for Vector mode toggling, I can toggle through my OSD screens to get to the blank (no OSD) screen and get just a camera only view. I like the OSD for take off, landing and alert me when my batteries are low, otherwise I like an uncluttered screen for these sight seeing flights.

One of my cameras (the co-pilot) is on a servo to pan, one camera (I call it the flight cam) is mounted above the cabin and the third (passenger cam) is located in the left side rear window.

Here is the result (my setup is listed on YouTube below the video).
FMS 182 Sky Trainer V2 FPV (8 min 29 sec)
Last edited by Willyspu; Mar 16, 2017 at 11:31 AM.
Mar 18, 2017, 12:24 AM
Your video is awesome! It's like your in a real plane!
Are you powering you cameras & Tx separately ? Or using power from the vector?
Also are you cameras 5v or 12v or a combination of both?
Thanks for your video !
Mar 19, 2017, 11:40 AM
The YouTube video has the details on the three cameras, two are Pico cams from Readymaderc and they are wide voltage. I power everything off of the Vector with no issues. I have regular controls plus flaps, and servo for the co-pilot cam. There is now reason you couldn't use 5v and 12v to power you cams or lights . . .as long as you don't exceed the Vectors capacity.

Multiple cams is a really cool option so keep at it. When you begin switching views make sure you have enough altitude as it can be a little scary to fly from different positions in the aircraft.

I did this before waypoints were available, with waypoints I can sit back and relax and look around while I fly. This hobby has come a long way!