Mar 15, 2017, 10:21 AM
Throw a glider!
Thread OP
Discussion

Hyper-Lite Bipe, Mini Vapor Conversion

I have a couple Mini Vapor guts form when the went on sale for $20 and I need something for the upcoming EAA Family Flite Fest weekend. My old Plantraco bipe no longer has any usable Bahoma cells to power it. I went to order some from Plantraco, and two cells will run about 52$ from Canada and take 10 days so that was not an option. (If anyone has any 5mm 20 or 30mah Bahoma cells to sell let me know!

So I whipped up a larger version to handle the higher weight of the vapor components. It has about 175 square inches of wing (two Limited Penny Plane wings at 18" x 5" each). It weights under 12 grams with the 30mah Eflite battery (also harder to find now), but first test flght went great. No trim changes, and nice slow flying. This one also has elevator, which the Plantraco one does not. Fun to see how steep it will climb. It also allows for tighter circles than even the smaller rudder only one. Not the most exciting to fly, but relaxing and attention getting.

Video here:
https://goo.gl/photos/MbyYLWunxpXRtQkV9
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2017, 10:31 AM
Indoor FF is pretty neat
Any chance of plans? What is the weight? Is the smaller Bipe the one that Rob Romash sells? I really like how the model flys, I also have a minivapor brick and gearbox looking for a home.

Thanks!
Ross

P.S. How is the EAA Family Flite Fest? I am thinking of going up next year as I am hoping to build an F1D soonish, I still have some stuff to learn though.
Mar 15, 2017, 10:37 AM
Throw a glider!
Thread OP
All up weight with battery is 11.9 grams.
That is one of Rob's models. Rob and I are good friends, I traded him one of my Nordic A-2 gliders for one of his Plantraco Bipes. This is the second version of the bipe now. I think it is on the second set of wings and stabs that I have built.

The EAA event is great fun. very laid back and entertaining weekend. Usually several top notch F1D flyers attend. Great place to learn and pick Kagan's brain. The event is more about fellowship than competition, come join us!
~Jim Buxton
Mar 15, 2017, 12:27 PM
Indoor FF is pretty neat
What is the length? i think I am going to build one. I assume the wings are 1/16 and the tail is 1/32? What is the span of the stab?
I think that is all I will need to build a rough copy.

Thanks!
Ross
Mar 15, 2017, 01:18 PM
Throw a glider!
Thread OP
Length is 19".
Main spars are .096 x .096 at center tapering to .060 square at tips. Ribs are .045
Stab spars are .063 x .063 center tapering to about .045. Stab span is 12".
Most wood is 6-7 lb. Fuselage was from a piece of 3/32, tapered and faced with .003 carbon.
I could sketch it up quickly, but it was really just grab and build. not much thought. The stab on the new model used the wing templates form the smaller one if you look close, just less ribs to match the penny plane templates I had. Truly a two night build.
Control rods are .020 carbon with .009" music wire guides in two places.
Mar 15, 2017, 02:07 PM
Indoor FF is pretty neat
Thanks! This should get things going, now I just need to see If i have the correct wood and place an order with Ray Harlan for some film.

Thanks!
Ross
Mar 15, 2017, 05:43 PM
Team WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by glider90
So I whipped up a larger version to handle the higher weight of the vapor components. It has about 175 square inches of wing (two Limited Penny Plane wings at 18" x 5" each). It weights under 12 grams with the 30mah Eflite battery (also harder to find now), but first test flght went great.
Looks fantastic, Jim!

Seeing this featherweight biplane makes me wonder how much further you would have to scale up the design to carry the guts from a regular (non-mini) Vapor. I have one of those in a box somewhere. And I would prefer to be able to use the more common 150mAh LiPo cells.

PS: On a related note, does the biplane design improve slow flight characteristics? Also, how would the (total) wing surface area of a bipe compare to the wing surface of a monoplane of equal weight? I assume you can't just split the same area between two wings and expect the same amount of lift. I am new to micro RC, so would appreciate any insight you can share.
Last edited by Brainstorm; Mar 15, 2017 at 05:53 PM.
Mar 15, 2017, 07:45 PM
Aedificem ergo sum
Very cool - I've loved the pennyplane look since I was a little kid. Good to know Rob Romash is still active - haven't seen him in over a decade since he left NJ. That guy isn't a modeler - he's an artist!

Mike C.
Mar 16, 2017, 08:14 AM
Indoor FF is pretty neat
What film are you using to cover it? Looks like mylar, 2Um mylar is a lot cheaper than superultra-film.
Mar 16, 2017, 02:50 PM
Indoor FF is pretty neat
Got the wing drafted up, Stab and rudder next!
Mar 19, 2017, 04:37 PM
Indoor FF is pretty neat
Got everything framed up, had just enough film to cover the stab and rudder. Weight right now with 30 Mah battery is 10.5 grams. Now I just have to wait for my order to arrive from Ray Harlan so I can cover the wings.
Mar 19, 2017, 09:56 PM
Senior to who? Member
I'm waiting for a roll of OS film, should be here Monday. Should be perfect for these builds at 0.5 micron. If you're into these type of builds check out my thread revisiting what was all the rage 12 years ago with budget minded stuff using Bitcar receivers, "Bit Bipe" by Graham Smith...very nice super detailed plans and lot of cool tips too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwithplanes
Got everything framed up, had just enough film to cover the stab and rudder. Weight right now with 30 Mah battery is 10.5 grams. Now I just have to wait for my order to arrive from Ray Harlan so I can cover the wings.
Mar 20, 2017, 12:47 PM
Indoor FF is pretty neat
Where are you buying your film? I buy from Harlan but his thinnest film is .9 microns. The film should get here later this week. I am really exited to get this one built and flying!
Mar 25, 2017, 08:36 AM
Senior to who? Member
Hobby Specialties has OS in several lenghts, I bought the $35 roll....I was hoping to use it for F3P....after covering my A+6 I'm nottotally sure its tough enough but for sure its close and for a coax 1S plane worth a shot. Not any harder to work with than 2um so why not.
Not sure whats up but my order from them took a full week after it was shipped from NJ.

Quick Reply