Mar 14, 2017, 07:49 PM
Thread OP
Contest

CVRC Visalia Bent Wing May 5/6/7

Good news he's back. That's right Claude Turner is back and ready to do the CD work for our spring Bent Wing.
Registration is now open.
This years contests will be held May 5/6/7 at our field in Visalia. We will fly a ALES only on Friday the 5th. Registration for the ALES event will be on the field Friday morning at 11am, with flying to start at noon. The entry fee for Friday will be $20.00. This will be a 150m event, so set your limiters accordingly. There will also be a production foamy class as long as the numbers are there. The timing of the Friday ALES event will give those who need time to travel, and give us time to set up the field for Saturday and Sundays bent wing. Kent Nogy, Mark Taylor and Tim Johnson will do the CD honers. PLEASE NOTE: The Friday ALES event is a distinct and separate contest from the Bent Wing Saturday and Sunday. As such the entry fees for the Friday ALES event are not applicable to the Bent Wing contest.

Saturday and Sundays registration, May 6/7, for the Bent Wing will be on line at <rcsoaring.com>. Look for the banner at the top of the page, click on contests, and there you will find the registration information.

We will fly RES, Woody RES and Legacy RES.

Please contact Claude to answer any questions you may have. <[email protected]>

Below are attached the Legacy class rules for those of you unfamiliar with this class.

Legacy Class Radio Control Thermal Soaring Rules as conceived by Larry Jolly

A Legacy class glider is defined as a Soaring design that is 25 years old. Proof of compliance can be accomplished by published plans, kits, magazine articles, magazine photographs, or personal photographs with date printed on the photo. While the builder is encouraged to construct his glider as accurately as possible, including correct construction methods, outline, and airfoils. Deviations are allowed, including a fiberglass fuselage in place of a fully sheeted fuselage, stronger spars and joiners to withstand modern launch equipment, increased dihedral, control surfaces, if none is shown on the drawings, glide path controls, and other changes deemed necessary by the builder to improve handling, and safety. In addition small changes to improve the gliders appearance are allowed and encouraged. If the original design was 120 span or less, the builder is allowed to scale his design to a maximum of 4 meter wingspan. In the case of little known designs, the builder should be prepared to provide documentation to the contest director for review, and approval. This is not a scale model competition, and the documentation requirements are lenient by design. The purpose is to give as much latitude as possible to the competitor to explore his creative instincts, as he constructs a recognizable replica of his favorite old glider.

The Legacy class is designed to be adaptable, to be included as an additional class at any RC Soaring Contest. So if the contest is an open meet then Legacy gliders will also be of open class capability. If it is an RES-Bent wing type contest the Legacy Class models will be limited to RES, REF, or RE functions. Legacy Class models are also suitable for alternate launching contests such as ALES, Hand Launch, or Slope Soaring competitions. Legacy class designs offer special consideration for precision landings. If the original design had no glide path control as designed. The landing will receive maximum points if the glider comes to rest inside the landing zone or circle. If the design had glide path controls, they should be present and operational as the landing will be scored by its resting position on the landing tape or zone. Duration tasks should be considered, so that the limited performance of most of these designs are considered. It should be recognized that these old gliders will not generally tow as high or run as far as their modern counterparts.

The Legacy class is designed as a slower paced contest flying planes that many of us grew up flying. It was conceived by Larry in 2015, and is intended to promote the traditions and "legacy" of this great hobby. Hopefully it will give fellow soaring pilots that did not live the golden years of RC Soaring development the opportunity to view these old gliders performing, and help celebrate our heritage by joining in.

hope to see you all there

Chris
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2017, 10:19 PM
Claude Turner
Hey everyone I'm still taking entries so get them in. I have about 30 pilots so far. it will be fun and we have water around the field this year. Claude
Apr 23, 2017, 10:39 AM
Thread OP

Bent Wing

As Claude said we have water in the basin that is under the control of local irrigation district. This means that the basin will be closed for practice while the ALES is being held Friday. We have had to deal with before and it won't effect the contest.
With the flooding in the basin other opportunities open up. So dust off your electric float planes and boats and give it a try. Please remember electrics only.
Claude will accept entries up until the weekend of the contest. So get those entries in. It's going to be a good time.
Apr 25, 2017, 08:26 PM
Get signed up Flyers this is a great fun weekend!!!
C U There!
Apr 29, 2017, 01:41 AM

2016 photos

Here should be some links to pictures of last year's Bent Wing contest. Definitely a fun event, so I join the above posts in encouraging everyone to sign up! I spoke to some notable pilots recently about planes they're bringing to this years event, and there should be some pretty cool nostalgic planes coming. I, for one, am very excited and am looking forward to seeing everyone again.

See you soon

Adam

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tdnprlw0k...qe-zlTZ8a?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3jp34prma...WcECC74Fa?dl=0
Apr 29, 2017, 09:42 AM
Great photos Adam, thanks for your time making them happen. Great​ shots of Jerry Tonnelli, I didn't know him long but sure had a fun times with him.
See you there.
Rick
Apr 29, 2017, 03:30 PM
Rick, Jerry was a class act. Knowing his days were few he took his precious time to help Tim and I set up the flight matrices for the Fall Fest. No one would have thought the worst of him had he said he didn't have the time. For me, that showed more than a commitment to this hobby. It showed his character as a human being. He'll be missed for sure.
May 01, 2017, 09:36 PM
GET SIGNED UP!!!!
you will have fun
May 02, 2017, 08:36 PM
Claude Turner
Just a heads up for everyone, we will have no food vender this year so plan acordingly. Claude
May 04, 2017, 01:10 PM
What time is the pilots meeting on Saturday?
May 04, 2017, 09:31 PM
Pilots list?
May 05, 2017, 07:25 AM
Claude Turner
Pilots meeting 7:45
May 07, 2017, 05:54 PM

2017 CVRC Bent Wing Results

We had a great time in Visalia this year. Even with less than rosy weather forecasts, both days turned out to be fantastic flying days, but definitely no gime's to anyone. As some of you may have guessed, the planting of 240 acres of new walnut and almond orchards completely surrounding the field is having a dramatic effect on the thermal generation characteristics. Looking at the scores it's apparent that this venue is becoming more a soaring contest than a landing contest.

A new scoring system (GliderScore) was used for the first time this year. We had a few hiccups with it Saturday, but thanks to the help of Chris Bajorek and Gerry Carter (the software designer) the bugs were fixed and Sunday it worked flawlessly. For the first time at CVRC the pilots had to enter their own scores using smartphones or community laptops. Many thanks to all the pilots who bravely adapted to this new scoring format. As the score keeper for one of the largest TD contest (The Fall Fest) my job was simplified beyond measure and I am very grateful to Chris and Gerry.

Thanks to all who traveled near and far to attend this year, looking forward to many more!

Tim Johnson
CVRC President
May 07, 2017, 08:18 PM
Had a great 3 days. I time and call better than I fly these days LOL
May 07, 2017, 09:04 PM
You did right by me.

Thanks Mark!!

Quick Reply