Jan 19, 2019, 11:21 AM
Do you offer other lenses for the MIX? Something with a longer focal length?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2019, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Echo
No, it's not too narrow. I believe that you think only about FPV with quadcopters for racing or freestyle, but 3.6mm is just right if you fly planes.
I wish there would be cameras for LR FPV.
Just come across this thread, so rather late. Agree with you Papa Echo - I use 6mm lenses for around half of my planes. Much better image from height.
Jan 22, 2019, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grecomafioso
Any chance to get a review sample of the Mix?
Sorry, review samples were over.
Jan 22, 2019, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Do you offer other lenses for the MIX? Something with a longer focal length?
Yes, we will offer other lenses in near future. But longer focal length is narrow FOV?
Jan 22, 2019, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn203
Just come across this thread, so rather late. Agree with you Papa Echo - I use 6mm lenses for around half of my planes. Much better image from height.
6mm? Can you show some video to me? Feel amazing for so longer focal length.
Jan 23, 2019, 04:05 AM
When you are flying a quad 6 feet off the ground or wing racing through trees, then a wide lens, 2.1-2.5mm is helpful to give a wide FOV, but for fixed wing pilots flying at 400-500ft or more, with even a 2.5 lens, the ground seems half a mile away. When I started out, there were only 2.8 and 3.6 lenses, and both were OK, with my preference for 3.6, but many cameras now only come with 2.5 or less, so I tried a 6mm from Runcam, and then bought another half dozen. A friend at the flying site uses box goggles and finds a 6mm lens reduces the very wide FOV to something more manageable, so he moves his eyes around the screen less. 4mm lenses don't seem to be available.

The attached video is pretty old, but you can see the ground as if with near normal vision from 800ft.

FPV Skywalker with ET Vector over the Solway Coast between the showers (4 min 7 sec)

Here's a list of camera lens focal lengths in mm and FOV equivalents. I know that other factors such as sensor size mean that focal length does not always equate to FOV, but the list should be OK for FPV camera lenses.

• 1.2 mm lens has approximate 185 degree field of view
• 1.7 mm lens has approximate 170 degree field of view
• 2.1 mm lens has approximate 158 degree field of view
• 2.5 mm lens has approximate 147 degree field of view
• 2.8 mm lens has approximate 130 degree field of view
• 3.0 mm lens has approximate 127 degree field of view
• 3.6 mm lens has approximate 92 degree field of view
• 4.0 mm lens has approximate 88 degree field of view
• 6.0 mm lens has approximate 78 degree field of view

The video was taken with a Mobius with an 'A' lens which is 85 degrees, just over 4mm effective focal length, but it gives a good idea what fixed wing pilots are looking for, at least some of us.
Last edited by Flynn203; Jan 23, 2019 at 10:43 AM.
Jan 23, 2019, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by libbyt
Yes, we will offer other lenses in near future. But longer focal length is narrow FOV?
Flynn203 just gave you the answer.
Jan 27, 2019, 10:55 PM
Quote:
When you are flying a quad 6 feet off the ground or wing racing through trees, then a wide lens, 2.1-2.5mm is helpful to give a wide FOV, but for fixed wing pilots flying at 400-500ft or more, with even a 2.5 lens, the ground seems half a mile away. When I started out, there were only 2.8 and 3.6 lenses, and both were OK, with my preference for 3.6, but many cameras now only come with 2.5 or less, so I tried a 6mm from Runcam, and then bought another half dozen. A friend at the flying site uses box goggles and finds a 6mm lens reduces the very wide FOV to something more manageable, so he moves his eyes around the screen less. 4mm lenses don't seem to be available.

The attached video is pretty old, but you can see the ground as if with near normal vision from 800ft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GYbQPHb5CQ

Here's a list of camera lens focal lengths in mm and FOV equivalents. I know that other factors such as sensor size mean that focal length does not always equate to FOV, but the list should be OK for FPV camera lenses.

1.2 mm lens has approximate 185 degree field of view
1.7 mm lens has approximate 170 degree field of view
2.1 mm lens has approximate 158 degree field of view
2.5 mm lens has approximate 147 degree field of view
2.8 mm lens has approximate 130 degree field of view
3.0 mm lens has approximate 127 degree field of view
3.6 mm lens has approximate 92 degree field of view
4.0 mm lens has approximate 88 degree field of view
6.0 mm lens has approximate 78 degree field of view

The video was taken with a Mobius with an 'A' lens which is 85 degrees, just over 4mm effective focal length, but it gives a good idea what fixed wing pilots are looking for, at least some of us.

Quote:
Flynn203 just gave you the answer.

I understand, We could match the lens you required for you. So add my Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/libby.tang.92 to custom your lens. :P
Jan 28, 2019, 04:33 AM
3.6mm is a standard size and would do. Thanks, but I don't use Facebook.
Jan 28, 2019, 03:42 PM
@libbyt: For a HS1177 camera it was never a problem to get a 3.6mm lens. But for the recent CMOS cameras it is a problem. Why doesn't Foxeer make 3.6mm lenses for these CMOS cameras and offer it as an option? There is a demand!
Last edited by Papa Echo; Jan 28, 2019 at 03:51 PM.
Jan 28, 2019, 03:49 PM
Quote:
@libbyt: For a HS1177 camera it was never a problem to get a 3.6mm lens. But for the recent CMOS cameras it is a problem. Why doesn't Foxeer make 3.6mm lenses for these CMOS cameras ad offer it as an option? There is a demand!
Well, I don't think they would want us to buy Runcam lenses, but is there any option?
Jan 29, 2019, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Well, I don't think they would want us to buy Runcam lenses, but is there any option?
3.6mm lens we could do for you, just PM me is ok. :P
Jan 29, 2019, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by libbyt
3.6mm lens we could do for you, just PM me is ok. :P
Great, thanks.

Quick Reply