Mar 13, 2017, 04:24 PM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Thread OP
Help!

Can I apply for class C airspace authorization with my temp 107 cert?

As the title says:

Can I apply for class C airspace authorization with my temp 107 cert? I am awaiting my actual certification number but need to file a Class C authorization request ASAP.

I know they take time and I'm worried if I wait I will not get the authorization in time.

I've been "on hold" with the FAA question center several times and have not been able to get through... and have not found that info on their website.

Anybody know for sure?

Thx
Last edited by CactusJackSlade; Mar 13, 2017 at 06:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2017, 08:49 PM
Running jokes into the ground
doesn't the process to request class C exemption take 45 days?
Mar 13, 2017, 09:27 PM
I guess its like asking if a temporary license plate is valid.
Mar 13, 2017, 10:18 PM
BirdsEyeView Aero
Yes, put "Pending" in the certificate # field.

And yes, they can take anywhere from weeks to months to approve, depending on the situation and how well you stated your safety case.
Mar 14, 2017, 12:44 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErichF View Post
Yes, put "Pending" in the certificate # field.

And yes, they can take anywhere from weeks to months to approve, depending on the situation and how well you stated your safety case.
That is what I was looking for - thank you

I do not need any un-needed slow downs during this process...
Mar 14, 2017, 12:45 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
I guess its like asking if a temporary license plate is valid.
I know my cert is "valid" but I wanted to know if it would work for the online authorization form... I don't need any slow downs...
Mar 14, 2017, 07:50 AM
To fly in class C airspace all you need is prior authorization. If you can get ahold of the tower (controlling agency) and say who you are, where you are, how high and how long you are going to fly that should be all you need. Done it many times in the class delta that I live in.
Mar 14, 2017, 08:39 AM
It may or may not also require a Mode S transponder according to what Class C airspace you are intending to fly in.
Mar 14, 2017, 08:39 AM
You are somewhat correct mhartman. If doing it for hobby, all you need to do is contact the ATC, but if you are doing it for commercial under your part 107 license, you need a waiver from the FAA to fly in any controlled airspace.
Mar 14, 2017, 09:00 AM
107.41 Operation in certain airspace.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).

I teach a 107 Class. And im also a Commercially rated pilot This is straight from CFR Title 14 Part 107.41

all you need is prior authorization to operate in B,C,D, or E to the surface under part 107

here is the source http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...2.107&rgn=div5

Hobby use is under CFR Title 14 part 101

this is what is says for hobby use part 101.41

(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.

and the source for hobby regulation http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...=14:2.0.1.3.15

and here is the list of current waivers that the FAA has granted https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/waivers_granted/
there are no waivers in here that exempt 107.41
Last edited by mhartman 550; Mar 14, 2017 at 09:38 AM.
Mar 14, 2017, 09:40 AM
BirdsEyeView Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyates5445 View Post
It may or may not also require a Mode S transponder according to what Class C airspace you are intending to fly in.
Transponders are not required for UAS operations, even in Class B Mode C Veil.
Mar 14, 2017, 09:44 AM
BirdsEyeView Aero
If you teach a 107 class, you should know that airspace authorizations MUST be made via the online portal, not through direct contact with the facility. If the facility has been working with you in that manner, then great. However, that is not how it is supposed to be done. Others reading this may try direct contact and will likely be directed to the online portal:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhartman 550 View Post
107.41 Operation in certain airspace.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).

I teach a 107 Class. And im also a Commercially rated pilot This is straight from CFR Title 14 Part 107.41

all you need is prior authorization to operate in B,C,D, or E to the surface under part 107
Mar 14, 2017, 09:45 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhartman 550 View Post
To fly in class C airspace all you need is prior authorization. If you can get ahold of the tower (controlling agency) and say who you are, where you are, how high and how long you are going to fly that should be all you need. Done it many times in the class delta that I live in.

Approach Control is the controlling agency for Class C. It may or may not be co-located with the tower. You need to check on the relevant chart or chart supplement.
Mar 14, 2017, 09:46 AM
BirdsEyeView Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimlossus View Post
You are somewhat correct mhartman. If doing it for hobby, all you need to do is contact the ATC, but if you are doing it for commercial under your part 107 license, you need a waiver from the FAA to fly in any controlled airspace.
Correct, but there is a difference between an authorization and a waiver. Authorizations are coming a lot quicker, but are generally granted for a shorter period.
Mar 14, 2017, 09:49 AM
and if you look here they haven't actually granted a 107.41 waiver. only 107.29 107.35 107.25 107.31 and 107.51
https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/waivers_granted/

Quick Reply