Feb 14, 2002, 12:19 PM
Thread OP

Advice for a new Twin Jet owner

I know there are about 1 MILLION posts regarding the Multiplex TwinJet, but I was hoping for some kind Twin Jet owners to give me some summary type advice. (Yes I am pouring over all the old posts too...)
I haven't received my TJ yet in the mail, but should be getting it this week or next. Mainly I want to know what the best strcutual or performance mods are for the plane, and what types of covering or painting techniques people have been using.
I'm thinking I'll fly it without painging/covering first to get the hang of it, and will cover or paint it after talking with all of you fine folx.

FYI, this will be my third R/C aircraft, and I have flown a lot with my SIG .25 LT (glow powered) and even more with my little GWS Tiger Moth. I'm hoping the TJ won't be too much of a challenge, but since I have also flown (and landed!) an FMA razor and extremely fast Terry, I fingure I can probably handle the TJ. Am I crazy?

Thanks for any advice!

Sweendog
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2002, 01:10 PM
Registered Snoozer
You're not crazy, and I'm sure you'll do fine with the TJ. With the stock set up, it really isn't that fast unless you dive from altitude for a low pass (which most of us spend the whole flight doing!!)

My recommendations for most important mods are (1) use a CF tube or arrow shaft in place of (or under) the balsa spar in the bottom of the fuse. I hollowed out the inside of the balsa and inserted a CF tube. This way, the balsa still fits flush with the bottom of the fuse and looks good; (2) cut some kind of cooling vents, both entry and exit. Don't know why Multiplex ignores this problem, but foam is an insulator (Duh!) and keeps things cool or hot (why do they think people call foamies "flying beer coolers"?) Without vents, the batteries and esc will get much too hot; (3) strengthen the motor mounts by using nylon tie wraps: and (4) subsitute APC 5.5X4.5 props for the Gunthers.

Enjoy!

Neil
Feb 14, 2002, 01:21 PM
Serenity Now!
I built my twinjet stock. I used the included 1/2x1/2 balsa keel and didn't have a problem with rigidity. I know guys have been using CF arrow shaft but it didn't seem worth the effort to me. I'm using an 8 cell 1700SCR pack (with the included motors). I wouldn't use anything less than this, especially less than 8 cells. I get around 6 minutes of flying time with throttle management. Plenty of speed. Give it a firm toss when you hand launch it. I usually take a few running steps then throw. It will climb right out.

The glow guys at our field are very impressed with this plane's performance. Built stock you'll be quite happy with it too. I painted mine using Testors paints right from the can. Panel lines were drawn with a Sharpie. Make sure you put some contrast between the top and bottom. it will make it easier to tell it's attitude.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Feb 14, 2002, 02:17 PM
Thread OP
WOW Jeff!
That is a really good looking Paint job! Did you paint right on the foam, and did you use primer as a base coat? If you painted right on the foam, how did you prep it? Just some sanding or what?

Sorry to pester with all the questions.

I Can hardly wait for the thing to get here!

Bill
Feb 14, 2002, 03:45 PM
SJ
SJ
I just have to show off

I just spray painted mine without any prep at all.

SJ.
Feb 14, 2002, 04:57 PM
Thread OP
DUDE!

That looks pretty damn good! Looks like most people are going for the Mig/Sukhoi look on thier twins. Maybe I'll do mine up in some NATO country scheme, and we can mix it up over the field!

Sweendog

(Who is thinking about starting a Show off your Twin Jet Paint scheme thread... :P)
Feb 14, 2002, 06:23 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
HEy Dog;

Good idea to fly before covering if you are not used to a fast responsive plane, but i am sure you are going to do fine. I spent many hours filling, sanding and painting my TJ, flew it for a few months, but had a crash. Oh well, the paint job is toast and not recoverable, so, one day i will sand er down and repaint, but until then my ugly TJ still draws attention at the field. So, just go ahead a fly it into the ground on your first flight to get it out of your system. (heehee, just kidding)
Feb 15, 2002, 12:05 AM
Mine is stock, including the stock keel, which I think is all you need unless you go high power. As you can see from the photo I chose to make the canopy one long piece. This gives me plenty of access to the rear of the battery compartment. I started with 2 8-cell nimh AA size packs, but later changed to twin 10-cell nimh packs. I was afraid the added weight would make it nose heavy but it flys just fine, and the added rpm's really increased the fun factor. Not having the rear canopy glued down made the wings flex a little too much so as you can see in the photo I added a metal brace. It really did the trick. To remove you just pull straight up. The canopy holds it down. As I do with the Picojet, I use full up trim for takeoff, and after airborne reduce to neutral.
I find it handles this up trim condition well and never wants to stall, as a conventional plane might, and takeoffs are always 100 percent.
Flights are 10+ minutes with mixed throttle.
Feb 15, 2002, 12:43 AM
Flying Free

Batteries?

Danny, you fly on twin 10 cell AA packs. I thought that the twinjet used 8-10 cell sub c packs????
Feb 15, 2002, 02:01 AM
I got rid of all my 05 size motors, and along with that went all my sub-c packs. I love the efficiency of the Speed 400 class, so I decided to only buy packs for Speed 400 motors. That's why I have at least a dozen packs, and growing. Two AA packs in parallel is equal to using one pack for each motor, with an draw of 10 - 12 amps per motor. It's been working out great, and the batteries aren't overly hot after a flight. I use this battery setup on my Twinstar also, and I'll be using it on my JanR P-38 when I get it.

Quick Reply