Mar 12, 2017, 12:47 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Thread OP
Discussion

Explorer - new F5J model at NAN (with an 'E')

Website update at NAN models.
The newest Xplorer F5J is now called... the Explorer F5J (yes, with an 'E' on the front). But.. the logo on the wing still says 'Xplorer'.

It has upturned tips (not elliptical) and an AUW of 1105g (for the 3.8m). And it's hollow molded!

Available in 3.5m and 3.8m wingspan.

Must read more.

--
Greg
Last edited by gdouglas; Mar 14, 2017 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Removed reference to FAI wing loading.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2017, 08:43 PM
RV7guy

All new

This is supposedly an all new design using the X1 airfoil and new layups. Should be interesting. Very light for sure. Should be in the US before long.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
Mar 14, 2017, 10:31 AM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
(I think) I'm glad I have waited to buy a new emodel this season...
Mar 14, 2017, 01:06 PM
New Explorer3.8m and 3.5m ready!!
It is awesome light weight gliders. As soon as I can make a video with 3.8m I will post here. Maiden video from 3.5m Explorer.
Photos from maiden I hope i will go to the field tomorrow for more testing.
Last edited by dapan; Mar 14, 2017 at 01:32 PM.
Mar 14, 2017, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
Pantelis, can you tell us what the AUW is for the 3.5m and the 3.8m versions? And maybe a list of equipment you used to get those weights ?

I wonder how much all those rain drops weigh ?

Thank you.

--
Greg
Mar 14, 2017, 01:50 PM
My 3.5m weights 770g empty.
Mar 14, 2017, 01:54 PM
I am using leopard lc 250 8t 4140 kv motor with 5:1 reisenauer gearbox (65gr)
YGE 60amp 7.4volt bec esc, MKS 6110HV servos on all surfaces,with servorahmen IDS system, 500mah 3s battery GM 14x7 prop and vladimir 30mm spinner.
I have a frsky s bus decoder on the wing.
New EXplorer 3.5m light Maiden (1 min 11 sec)

Mar 14, 2017, 01:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo
My 3.5m weights 770g empty.
Wow. Almost 2 oz. lighter than the specs on the NAN website say! Must be the tissue paper version.
Mar 15, 2017, 03:10 AM
doo
doo
Did anyone else notice on the NAN website that all three versions(Explorer, Xplorer 3 F5J and Xplorer F5J) have the same weights listed for the 3.5m @ ~820g and 3.8m @~880g?

I am curious if this is a typo, or if all three versions are approximately the same weight.

I don't know about you, but I am thoroughly confused on which version I want to get next.
Mar 15, 2017, 05:50 AM
if you look closely to the photos on the site you will see that the servo places are on differend possition.
The Explorer has the servo closed to the fuselage. All others is as till now.
F5J xplorer is X2 airfoil
and F5J X3 is X3 airfoil.
Last edited by dapan; Mar 15, 2017 at 06:47 AM.
Mar 15, 2017, 09:49 AM
RV7guy

X3 for me

I'm leaning toward the X3 version, 4.0. This will be plenty light enough and that airfoil is capable of handling ballast. Over the past 3 years of experience with 5J we have learned that span is very critical in the early non lift time. Low weight helps but early flights in no lift conditions you are still going to relatively high. It appears theres is a need for compromise between light weight and span.

Great time to be in the hobby. Lots of choices and I'm happy to see 5J taking hold world wide.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
Mar 15, 2017, 12:54 PM
Darwin, great feedback based on real experience. Thank you! The ideal thing for me would be to just get a lighter 4m wing that fits my existing eX 2.5 fuse. Current AUW with X2 4m wing is 65oz. An e-only wing that fits the saddle and is 8-10oz lighter would be nice.
Mar 15, 2017, 01:23 PM
Thread OP
Chris, I believe all Xplorer / Explorer wings and fuselages are interchangeable. The wingtips (joiners) are way different, but if you get an entire new wing, it should fit your existing X fuselage.

It would be interesting to know how much just a complete wing, say, the F3J-4m would cost, and the delivery time. Good luck on that one.

Numbah Fowah combination NOT come with spring roll! You want hot sour or egg drop soup?

--
Greg
Mar 15, 2017, 01:39 PM
DS Composites Team Pilot
Should be interesting, I wonder why they used the X1 airfoils, does anyone know why?
Jon
Latest blog entry: My sailplanes
Mar 15, 2017, 02:18 PM
Greg, there may be several downsides of buying just a wing: long delivery times and a cost that is not far from the full kit. Guess there's no shortcut...

Quick Reply