Socal IOM Nomads - Page 2 - RC Groups
Apr 30, 2017, 07:55 AM
Steve Landeau IOM USA 12
It's nice to see you guys using some other options in Mission Bay. I've spent many a frustrating day at the model yacht pond with crappy wind, but it's blowing a steady 12 just 200 yards away.
The club is great, the people are great, the history is great. but the city did nothing but wrong for the sport when they allowed everyone to develop around our pond. The heydays are gone, and we have to accept it. They're not going to cut the trees down or dismantle the tents, simply because our toy boats don't get clean wind anymore.
Have you guys seen the photos of when the pond was new? Fantastic! The city once had a desire to support us, but they couldn't see past the dollar signs when the developers moved in.
It's a beautiful park, but not for sailing. I'll be there next year for midwinters though, at least it's the same for everyone.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2017, 07:57 AM
Steve Landeau IOM USA 12
We had a couple great regattas at MBYC. Minor issues with weed once, but still well worth it.
Apr 30, 2017, 12:03 PM

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibldrc
It's nice to see you guys using some other options in Mission Bay. I've spent many a frustrating day at the model yacht pond with crappy wind, but it's blowing a steady 12 just 200 yards away.
The club is great, the people are great, the history is great. but the city did nothing but wrong for the sport when they allowed everyone to develop around our pond. The heydays are gone, and we have to accept it. They're not going to cut the trees down or dismantle the tents, simply because our toy boats don't get clean wind anymore.
Have you guys seen the photos of when the pond was new? Fantastic! The city once had a desire to support us, but they couldn't see past the dollar signs when the developers moved in.
It's a beautiful park, but not for sailing. I'll be there next year for midwinters though, at least it's the same for everyone.
Perhaps one of the very best racing venues in the entire USA ruined (sailing wise)by event tents that come down for 2 weeks a year, so the developer can avoid permits. If you watch David Jensen ' s video up on youtube of the 2016 nationals (which was a good wind day by today's pond with tents up) you can see the wind all over the place lol. Sadly, the city needs to come in and dredge the inlet area, the last time Ben and rowed out to set marks, the sandbar was only about a foot below the water surface.

Yesterday we got in our full 20 heat races at DeAnza cove, the wind was a solid mid A range and filled in. I belive next up will be Silver Strand in a few weeks
Apr 30, 2017, 12:22 PM
Actually the tents are not as bad as when there were more trees at the west end of the pond. Fortunately most of those were removed back in 2015.

Yeah it looks like we need to have another sand bar trimming party. We usually do this once every 3 years just before Race Week. It's looking like we can't wait another year. With a dozen of us taking turns shoveling, we knocked it down in about 3 hours last time.

Digging out back in 2015...
Last edited by RCphotoguy; Apr 30, 2017 at 01:29 PM.
May 21, 2017, 08:10 AM
So Cal IOM Nomads (1 min 53 sec)

Just a quick video of DeAnza cove venue
May 21, 2017, 10:00 AM
The wind is free, go sailing!
Looks like good practice for Pierrelatte.
Marks are set far away with a fixed control area
This is a true test of your depth perception.....
May 21, 2017, 11:40 AM
You can walk as far as you like at this site, my butt was planted in a chair trying to film and sail hehe.
May 31, 2017, 02:34 AM

More DeAnza racing

7 Skippers made it out last Saturday to log in more stick time. Unfortunately 3 had issues and couldn't continue. Wind was mid to upper A rig conditions. I got to sail a Pikanto this time as I lent my Maltshake out to dad to try his hand at rc racing which he had a blast.
Jun 17, 2017, 11:08 PM

Summer Nomads

Whew, it was warm today. Had a great time with a loaner boat with Ben's Wedge. Barry came to visit and show us his beautiful new woody. Although he sailed his dialed in V9 and gave us a lesson on getting around the DeAnza cove. Grats Barry on the win! Good day of practice by all.
Sep 24, 2017, 09:16 AM

All Smiles

Was all smiles to get my Malt back and racing again after the hull refreshing. She looks like a brand new boat. She is the oldest Malt and was in desperate need of a refresh. Konrad Wit did a fantastic job. Managed a few wins and third on the day. We are getting tuned up for Texas next month. Nils had his new K2 out, it is simply stunning. Zvonko does amazing work! He is still getting used to sailing her and sorting his tuning. Terry had his TNT flying will new AUS fins and Dave Creed bulb. Grats to him for winning the day.

Cheers
Dave
Nov 12, 2017, 09:08 PM
Day At DeAnza (3 min 18 sec)
Nov 19, 2017, 11:41 AM
not a bad video
Nov 19, 2017, 09:50 PM
Is this a feasible venue for a Regatta? I love an excuse to sail in SD!
I dig what you nomads are doing.
Sully # 62
Nov 20, 2017, 09:12 AM

Camp & Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyelvis
Is this a feasible venue for a Regatta? I love an excuse to sail in SD!
I dig what you nomads are doing.
Sully # 62
Hi Sully, we were just talking about that this past Saturday, a sort of camp and sail as DeAnza cove camp ground is right next to the sailing area. During the off season, the rates are lower and we thought it would be fun to all camp out togeather. Weather you have a motor home, trailer or just a tent. Obviously, SD offers the finest lodging accommodations if one would rather, however this idea was more of a way to shoot the breeze around the camp fire at night while enjoying some bbq and drinks. Well, it's just an idea anyhow. We need to see what next year's IOM schedule looks like.

Here are the results from this last Saturday and the week before. Terry and his Britpop winning the day. I was pleased to have my Maltshake back in working order. Dave Ramos was able to fix my RMG that died in Dallas and thanks to the guys at Fiesta yachts for supplying a new back up rmg.