Socal IOM Nomads - RC Groups
Mar 12, 2017, 11:58 AM
Discussion

Socal IOM Nomads

First event for us was a blast. Congratulations to Terry and his TNT for winning. We got in 20 races with a consistent wind at the top of A rig range. This location was just north of the Mission Bay model yacht pond. The purpose of this group, besides getting to hang out with friends, is to get more stick time, thus practicing strategy and rules. I have to admit, it was pretty amazing not having to worry about flucky winds for once lol. We plan on doing this monthly at different locals. Locations will be posted on our fb SIN group.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2017, 12:14 PM
IOM USA 868
Can't explain how awesome this was to get together and get the "Stick Time" in.
Mar 12, 2017, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWedge
Can't explain how awesome this was to get together and get the "Stick Time" in.
At the end of the day we also had some "stick time" when we retrieved our boats.

The muck was like quicksand

But in the end it was worth it!
Mar 12, 2017, 01:43 PM
One broken flipflop was a small price to pay for 20 races. Positive thoughts Bob, Positive thoughts
Mar 12, 2017, 02:23 PM

few more pictures

A few more pics
Mar 12, 2017, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwood
...Positive thoughts Bob, Positive thoughts
Always my friend, life's too short to be negative!
Mar 25, 2017, 07:50 PM

Nomads at Sunbeam Lake

Great fun today sailing at Sunbeam in top of B rig, which was a first for me. Lol. (Noobie) Anyways we got in 18 races with Cool Hands Terry and his TNT winning the day. Awesome getting the stick time and practice.
Mar 25, 2017, 08:52 PM
Congrats on your first B rig experience! How was it?
Mar 25, 2017, 10:05 PM

results

It was alot of fun
Apr 08, 2017, 09:33 PM

De Anza Cove Mission Bay

Good wind, good fun. TNT, Wedge, Pikanto and Malteser.
Apr 08, 2017, 11:58 PM

results

Scores
Apr 27, 2017, 09:56 AM
Back at DeAnza , Mission Bay this Saturday for practice. Should get in about 20 heat races if your in the area
Apr 27, 2017, 11:49 AM
The wind is free, go sailing!
Have you tried this place in Mission Bay?
Apr 27, 2017, 01:27 PM
Just something to think about--maybe try to get a few guys from the front of the SOCAL IOM fleet to join you group from time to time. I've found that the best way to improve is to sail against the best as often as you can. Sailing with your friends is a great social experience and practice never hurts, but sometimes only sailing with your friends reinforces bad habits and takes you down false paths.
Apr 27, 2017, 09:00 PM
We have invited them Tom. We do happen to have a pro in our group though and with Terry's coaching, we are showing improvement, god knows I certainly need it lol. We focus on following proper rules, laying a good course, help each other learn tuning and getting racing experience. We lacked that only racing 3 club heat points racing per month. The ponds schedule is simply over booked for IOM'S to get in more practice time.