This thread is privately moderated by Clickety, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 12, 2017, 07:46 AM
Isaiah 40:31
Thread OP
Build Log

English Electric Lightning - Pusher / EDF

F6 Lightning - Classic Supersonic British jet that could out climb an F15 eagle, and fly over 60,000ft altitude into T2 territory.. a formidable machine in its heyday.

Can house up to a 70mm EDF, or a conventional pusher setup.

Designed to give high speed with both 70mm EDF and Pusher.

Battery is housed in a dedicated compartment in a belly hatch to keep weight low and EDF airflow efficient.

The Centre of Gravity's marked on the General Arrangement are given to me by other modellers, so should work. Once I have tested the plane, I will replace it with the tested CG.

Plans have moved to :-
www.jetworks.online
Last edited by Clickety; Jan 12, 2019 at 03:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2017, 04:55 AM
Wow - you've got some serious skills! Thanks so much for sharing this virtually "unavailable" model. Which is to say, 'if ya want one ya gotta make one yourself'!

Green Air Designs (GAD) used to sell a kit for a pusher version. You might be able to glean some CG feedback from them - or at least from their published documentation.

Thanks again!

tn
Mar 15, 2017, 08:12 AM
Thread OP
This was Ians (bristolian) Lightning, and his CG position :-

The CG on the Lightning is at 64.3% wing root chord, or 49.7% fuselage length (measured from the tip of the nose-cone to end of tail pipe. But it's not critical, I started with it almost 50mm forward of there and worked back until comfortable. I'm sure you know, given the number of designs you've done, but a slender delta, which is basically what the Lightning is, doesn't stall in the conventional way; if you come in too slow the nose rears up , it rises then flops down. There's a video somewhere on the net of a model Lightning doing exactly that, and mine has almost done it a couple of times. keep the speed up for landing! Other than that it's a pussycat, unlike the real thing...

Oh, and I fitted a stabiliser (Orange RX3S) to take out the rather vicious torque roll on take-off, but I turn it off after T/O.

He posted this on my Tornado Build log (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e-pusher/page2)
Mar 16, 2017, 08:31 AM
Thread OP
Another CG position given by Bipeflyers awesome build :-

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...g-thread/page7

The white dot represents the CG.
Mar 16, 2017, 04:36 PM
Thread OP
more cg comparisons
Mar 17, 2017, 06:36 AM
Well mine's had over 35 flights with the CG in that position, so I'm pretty confident in it. As I said it's not that critical, but I'm surprised to find one 70mm back unless the wing shape is different. I'd ignore that one unless you can find evidence that someone's actually built and flown it like that.

Ian.
Mar 17, 2017, 07:04 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Ian
Mar 17, 2017, 08:48 AM
Thread OP
This is Olaf's plan :-

https://aerofred.com/search.php?sear...s=Olaf%20Haack
Mar 17, 2017, 09:02 AM
Thread OP
On this video - at 1:05, you can see this large scale Lightning has its fuel tank more-or-less in line with the leading edge kink in the wings.

Fuel tanks are typically positioned over the CG in order to not affect the handling with fuel at differing amounts, so is another indicator...

LARGE SCALE AIRWORLD ENGLISH ELECTRIC LIGHTNING F2A ALI MACHINCHY WINGS&WHEELS RC MODEL AIRSHOW 2013 (11 min 11 sec)
Mar 17, 2017, 02:24 PM
Meant to add, that for a scale model a good first guess at the CG is just in front of where the main wheels would be on the real thing. The CG on Olaf's plan is just behind the wheels. Which is not generally a good idea...
Mar 17, 2017, 05:08 PM
wow fantastic work nice plans thanks a lot !

stephan
Mar 18, 2017, 04:45 AM
Thread OP
youre welcome Stephan

funny pic Ian point well made lol!!
Mar 26, 2017, 04:44 PM
On my own design F6 lightning I think the C.G. ended at about 70% back from the leading edge at the root.

Will check it tomorrow and get back.
Mar 26, 2017, 05:26 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Tubelan, I look forward to seeing your data

I was looking at a lightning f6 at the York Air museum this afternoon!
Mar 27, 2017, 05:33 AM
I am sure you know but there are lightning closer to you at Tangmere and at the Gatwick aviation museum. Will check my data after work tonight as the plane is already to go just waiting on the weather.

Quick Reply