Mar 12, 2017, 05:36 AM
build like there is no 2moz
Gallery

Pics from the 2017 Mad March Hare- footy race

SO having been out the 'Footy' scene for a long while, I caught up with my old sailing mates, at the Mad March Hare footy event at Abingdon yesterday.
8 yachts, in a range of designs (ICE, FatBoy SLIM, and IBEX) all of which sailed well and handled the varying breeze and chop)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2017, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the pics Scott. Glad to see you back again. What were you sailing?
SliM development is now at version 3 with much rounder bilges than version 1 and a (trendy) chine to the aft third. I recon the round section Peter has on the Fat Boy Slim is a very quick shape.
Cheers
Phil
Mar 12, 2017, 10:49 AM
No problem Phil. I have a whole load more but my computer was being very fussy about what it would let me upload- Peter Shepherd has the whole lot, so may put more on the www.Sailfootyuk.com website .
Yes it does seem to be (he won by a margin of nearly 15 points (average score of approx. 1.5th place!)
Have you seen the IBEX- its peter Jacksons latest, ooks like the SLIM, but with a fair volume of tumblehome.
I wasn't sailing (been too busy with work recently) so was OOD and photographer,
Planning on making a comeback, so wanted to see what the 'state of the art' was. :-)
Mar 14, 2017, 03:57 PM
Good pics there Scott.

I can't see any Una Rigs though. Have things changed so much ?

The reason why I ask is. We now have 5 Footys at our club. 2 Rangers with Una Rigs and a Papaya, Supabug and a One Design with Stollery Rigs.

It seems like the eccentric at our club like to build and sail Footys. However we would probably like to be at the cutting edge of Footy design.

Maybe you could help fill in the gaps.

Cheers,

Nick.
Mar 15, 2017, 03:32 PM
Hello Nick
I would say that Una Rigs are far more popular in France, Germany, Italy and Switzerland.
They are light, stable, easy to make and perform well. SUI 03 would be the best example in the picture but a single panel sail would be a simpler option.
Regards
Phil
Mar 15, 2017, 03:55 PM
Thanks Phil.

I'm certainly happy with the way my Una-Rigs work on my Ranger.

I was also wondering about Hull design and the fact that the Ranger Hull design is a few years old now. I was thinking of altering the design a bit. More along the lines of the rear hull of a Dragonforce. In order to get a bit more of the "Magical" Coanda Effect when running downwind. Just a thought.

On another note, I've been asked to print off 2 more copies of the Ranger plans today. It looks like we are going to have a Lake full of these little critters soon lol.

Cheers,

Nick.
Mar 18, 2017, 03:18 AM
Hi Nick,
(Phil, thanks for jumping in, my work keeps me busy so it can take me a while to respond).
The Stollery swing rigs seem ever popuar in the events I attend, though I must say- all of my footies (except my one venture into a SupaBug - I didn't get on well with it) have been McRig based.

I love the Ranger- its a wonderfull sailing boat.
Might be worth a try. :-) I'm cuttently pondering a very light weight (aiming sub 250g) multihull footy... according to the maths, in the right weather it should be good for a 15-20% speed advantage (if I can keep it upright)....

Where abouts do you sail? I'm trying to work out where the nearest race from the current race calendar (www.sailfootyuk.com) is to you. I'd be very nteresed to see a much more mixed fleet - currently ICE/ Heavy SLIM biased.
Scott
Mar 18, 2017, 09:40 AM
Hi Scott,

Good to hear from you and work gets in the way of my sailing too lol.

I sail my Ranger and Dragonforce at Wilton Park, Batley, West Yorkshire. Here's a link to the website it's the sailing arm of Kirklees Model Boat Club. http://rofwac2.weebly.com/

Your multi-hull idea sound interesting. Would you use a Mcrig on that?.

I have a 1/64 ply Ranger on the board at the moment. It's a tricky material to work with and slightly heavier than 1/16 balsa. It has a layer of 0.5 oz glass cloth and Eze-kote and looks rather stunning.

It's funny I'm thinking of building a Fat Boy Slim next but with a Mcrig.

I had a go at building a Supabug as well I'll be leaving Correx for the Estate Agents and stick to traditional materials.

Cheers,

Nick.
Mar 18, 2017, 01:25 PM
Yeah, work can be a real pain sometimes- but it pays me enough to let me play with these so I shouldn't complain too much.... :-)

Ok, I don't think any of our events come that far north. I think the furthest we tend to get is Northampton/Birmingham.

I do like the Ranger- if you look on the ail footy site there is an article for building from 3mm depron (sure is light!) which was my Ranger.

The Fat Boy slim is a great hull, it won the event above - in the hands of a competent skipper the afternoon saw him from 1 point I think..

Yes, a McRig is planned - I have a fair few (will be needing new sail material) up in the ift in various sizes (I have a plug from bakers Dozen (and Angus richardson hull) - the follow on from MoodSHadow. As well as Voortrekker plug (and hull) - which are good for light weight boats (if I can work out how to get a hull of them

Lol, yeah I use correx for transport cases and slope soarers.

Cheers
Scott