This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 11, 2017, 07:42 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Retro computing

1 thing missing from modern videos about retro computing are case studies of how specific games were implemented. It was the rage, 30 years ago, for magazines to write about how the use of sprites, character sets, bitmap graphics, & raster interrupts made up a certain game. All the modern videos are just introductions to what sprites are. The current generation just can't grapple with the level of material we understood 30 years ago, so everything has to be simplified down.

It's become clear that a lion will never use a retro computer for anything. As intriguing as making a game in 6502 assembly, with the graphics hardware of the time is as a challenge in itself, there's no practical reason. It can be a game to make a game as it was done 30 years ago, but it's only going to be fascinating to see it done by other people.

The most retro computing which is still practical is a stopwatch in a single C file, with no dependencies, which is legible in sunlight. It could run as long as there's a C compiler & VT100 emulator. Python graphics libraries would be a more modern minimal way, but if the score is based on achieving the most with the least on modern hardware, the winner is the C console program.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2017, 08:02 PM
Have fun
Hello Jack, I've always seen your blog posts throughout the past decade and always enjoy them. Even when i neglect to read the original poster, I enjoy them and see that its just the extremely prolific Jack Crossfire. Ive been getting my hands into programming with a raspberry pii and APM drones and I have always loved taking things apart and soldering beautiful frankestien projects, I look up to you as a member of this forum who is truly contributing to the collective information that we host here

Quick Reply