BALSAUSA 1/4 Sopwith Pup fake engine - RC Groups
Mar 11, 2017, 04:02 PM
LHolland
Discussion

BALSAUSA 1/4 Sopwith Pup fake engine

I am wanting to put a fake engine in my Pup but don't know what to do. Am looking at the one BalsaUSA sells but how much more do I need to do to it? I know this is not a new thing but I can't find anything on it now. Any help would be great.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2017, 08:10 AM
It all depends on how "scale" you want engine to look.
The Pup (its official name was actually Scout) used a rotary (typically 80 HP LeRhone) so the whole engine went round with the prop.
Possible with electric at small scale.
A Rotary for a Sopwith Pup (0 min 24 sec)

but much harder with IC and at your scale.
Mar 20, 2017, 08:44 AM
First, does your model have an electric or IC power

Second, which scale is yours, 1/6, 1/4 or 1/3? (BalsaUSA has fiberglass engine fronts for the 1/3 and 1/4)

Third, did you want it to rotate? Difficult with an IC motor. Not very simple with an electric.

Williams Bros has cylinder kits in 1/6 (LeRhone) and 1/4 (Gnome). They have a full engine in 1/6 (LeRhone).

Arizona Model Aircrafters has some, but, their delivery of orders can be a bit sketchy. They are also not cheap.

Given how the engines were constructed they are not hard to make from scratch.

charlie
Oct 31, 2017, 04:21 PM
Arizona Models
My name is Todd I am the new sales manager here at Arizona Aircraft Replicas. We have got our shipping dialed in. I over see everything in and out of the doors here. Please feel free to give a call and check out our amazing engine kits. 602 971 5646 or visit us at ArizonaModels.com