This thread is privately moderated by solentlife, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 11, 2017, 07:26 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Thread OP
Discussion

PrintRite 3D DIY Printer from Hobby King

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/print-ri...r-eu-plug.html

Thinking to add to my Laser Cutter a 3D printer ....nothing special, just something that can knock up cowling, blisters etc. My big Lancaster would be first beneficiary !

I realize its a cheap machine - but its modular, takes common 1.75 filament .... and has 220 x 220 x 170mm work area.

Looking for discussion on how easy to construct the 'templates' etc.

Not looking to spend more money I have to declare !!

Well its out of box and needs calibrating ...

I was going to do an unboxing / assembly video - but the video on the Flash Drive supplied is far better that I could have done.

PrintRite DIY 3D Printer Assembly User Guide (5 min 39 sec)

OK ... assembly photos ...

The box ... its heavy !

Two trays of gear and manual :

Parts out :

Start putting together .. I even bought a special table for it ! :

Stock photo ..

Make sure you read the labels on the parts !! there are left and right verticals. Get it wrong and leads are not long enough to connect.... guess how I know !!

It even comes with all the tools needed.

Here's my first print ... Manfred the WW1 Pilot ...

And No I did not 'draw' him ... I downloaded of a website.

To actually create your own prints - you need another set of software ... at present I am trying to learn A123D from Autodesk - the free version along with MeshMixer.
Once drawn - you then load into the software provided with the Printer .. scale as necessary ... create the Slic3r cuts and print.

First this is how long it takes ... that Pilot took 1hr 15mins and its about 60mm tall, 70mm wide and weighs 15gr.

PrintRite 3D Manfred Pilot test March 11 2017 (5 min 52 sec)

Me ? happy !!

Nigel
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2017, 04:31 AM
Thread OP
OK ............. few weeks down the road and I;m having silly problems.

I have to say most likely my own fault.

The fan on the upper section of the extruder block I thought was auto but in fact is manual ... and of course I have not had this running during work.
This results in the short Teflon tube that guides the filament to the head overheating and jamming.

I have now 2x drilled out this tube after figuring out how to get at it !!

Dismantling to get at inner parts of the head and associated gear ...

The fan has two hex bolts in the two lower slots. remove those two bolts while holding the motor on the other side as it will 'fall away' once the bolts are out. Also watch for the feed spring which will now pop out. That's the large spring that tensions the filament feed roller.

Here we now have the entry point of the filament to the head system ...

This 1.5mm Hex screw locks the feed tube in place ...

Unscrew the hex and then you can literally unscrew the feed assemble from the heater block ..

Note the Teflon tube sticking out of the brass feed tube ... this is the tube that gets blocked and is my problem ...

Here is the tube pulled out of the feed tube ..

You can see its damaged by heat and blocked by its white colour from the white PLA filament.

The small amount of Teflon tube that is proud actually mates with the actual brass extruder head to create a smooth tube to feed filament ... This Teflon is supposed to withstand the temperatures but not advised to subject it to more than 250C.

I am now waiting supply of a 1m roll of tube to have new and spare for later.

The Teflon tube is 3mm OD and 2mm ID with a length of 22mm

My supply will come from : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322371669031

As to the blue tape on the print bed ......... a local shop has 50m roll of Blue Painters tape for about $4 .....

One little quirk I am getting at present ... I usually print at 210C with the PLA ... but for some reason my printer is defaulting to 200C ... even though all the config files are set at 210 ... mmmmm will have to have a look at all setups again.

Am I still happy with it ... 2 days ago I was ready to throw it out of the window .... but once I worked out how easy it is to dismantle and get to the parts ... it can stay on my bench !!

I have new location for it later this year once my 12.6m x 7m workshop is built .... with similar sized storage room above it for models ...

Nigel
Feb 10, 2018, 04:35 PM
always something to learn...
I started with that same printer, and have decided to move its "guts" to a new frame for better prints.
Feb 11, 2018, 06:46 AM
Thread OP
I've actually solved about 90% the problem above ... now I am getting reasonable results.

My next acquisition has to be a 3D scanner !!

Nigel

Quick Reply