Mar 11, 2017, 04:13 AM
Get It? - Got It!
Thread OP
Discussion

DJI is automatically collecting data from your drone!

I just received my P4P+ and in reading though the manual came across the attachment under Data Storage and Usage. I really don't like the fact that DJI will automatically download data to their storage server, including your user name and basically use and share the data with whoever they want. Is everyone just accepting this? Is there any way to control the data automatically sent to DJI?

The idea of sending all of our flight data to China gives me the creeps.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2017, 10:06 AM
The denials and qualifiers should initiate shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mar 12, 2017, 02:26 PM
And now you know how Europeans feel about American companies having the same legal disclaimers and sending their data to the USA... Pretty much anything cloud connected these days (including any browsing you do) sends info to a lot of third party entities. If you use an i-Device, Android or Windows, pretty much the same happens all the time

Personally, I'm a lot more worried about Facebook or Google (where real personal information resides) than DJI or any other drone company getting flight info of were I have flown

If you are concerned about flight privacy, pretty much only the Apm/Pixhawk allows you to be in control of your data...
Mar 12, 2017, 04:40 PM
Fan of pusher multirotors
Root your Android, Install Droidwall and seal off the DJI app from the Internet? No idea how you'd achieve this under iOS as I don't use Apple stuff, but I'm assuming a jailbreak would be necessary.

Note that I don't own anything by DJI, but this would be my first course of action.
Mar 12, 2017, 09:17 PM
Don't buy DJI, the US Federal government has decided not to. Hopefully state and local municipalities will follow along.
Mar 12, 2017, 10:30 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Seems to not be anything close to what the people who are buying and using them for the US government seem to know. US Border Patrol fly DJI, Homeland Security flies them. The United States Military use them on daily on going missions through out the world. Everyone knows that SAR and Fire departments as well as SWAT uses them. Seems everyone is well aware of who the world leader is in these platforms and what they offer. National Geographic, Discovery Channel, all the way down to untold hundreds of Local news teams that use them as well. Kinda obvious everyone is well aware and using DJI and that doesn't seem to be shrinking, but growing daily. Any amount of "hating" isn't going to change the factual use of DJI and their products and services.

https://www.govconwire.com/2017/01/d...v-data-demand/

DJI Stories - Search and Rescue (5 min 34 sec)

DJI Stories - Above the Flames (3 min 16 sec)

https://youtu.be/Z625R9eljIc?t=73
Mar 12, 2017, 11:04 PM
Nore is any amount of liking them going to change what's happening. We do a lot of work with the department of Navy, NOAA and Homeland security. They have all said phblocally that federal agencies can no longer buy DJI.

Since you like to post DJI videos that you somehow feel prove your point, here's one of ours. Not someone else's that I found on YouTube but one that we produced as part our work with federal agencies.

CT16 (1 min 43 sec)

Yeah, I'm making this crap up just because I don't like DJI. Wrong. I have probably owned way more DJI equipment than most and part of the reason we no longer use them is that we're not allowed to fly them with the agencies we work with.
Mar 13, 2017, 05:32 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
I do believe foreign products should be avoided for certain national defense functions. I have a Phantom Standard and a fleet of 3DR Solos that I am using to teach myself aerial photography. Was hoping to start a part time real estate/land survey aerial business when I retire. Probably ok to let them spy on me for that....still, I may start looking at different options.

Av8Chuck, I bet you guys are using high$$$$ commercial products or do you build your own? Do you a have a link...

Maybe I should just build a hex using open source APM PIXhawk 2.1...

Not retiring for a few years so I have time figure it out
Mar 13, 2017, 07:05 AM
I use a dedicated Nvidia shield tablet with my P3 pro on a nice stable firmware version (1.9.60) and I just leave the wifi off. Ignorance is bliss. Of course there are tradeoffs. I can't cache maps or get healthy drone data. But it flies fine and doesn't nag, or worse, require an update before it will fly.
Mar 13, 2017, 07:08 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Unfortunately people like to gloss over things. Stating that the US government doesn't use DJI is false. They are in fact currently in contact (Contract??) with them. IF one is suppose to rely on information that was posted on the very first link I posted. Gentleman seems pretty credible:

"About Executive Mosaic: Founded in 2002, Executive Mosaic is a leadership organization and media company. Executive Mosaic offers highly coveted executive events, breaking business news on the Government Contracting industry, and delivers robust and reliable content through seven influential websites and four consequential E-newswires. Headquarters are located in Tysons Corner, VA."

Now it seems if the US Government IS allowing DJI to develop Data Collection Systems for the newer drones such as the General Atomics MQ-1C Gray Eagle pictured in the announcement, they don't seem to not only be concerned with who is gathering, or has the capabilities of doing such, but are indeed allowing them to develop the technology. Then why is it the normal U.S. citizen should be concerned with it?

Again, first link from above posting: https://www.govconwire.com/2017/01/d...v-data-demand/
Last edited by Repaid1; Mar 13, 2017 at 07:28 AM.
Mar 13, 2017, 07:43 AM
People can put any picture they want in an advertisement but if their product or service is going to achieve "program of record" status it has to comply with some pretty tight qualifications. If the product is designed around software that needs to link with a foreign government server to function it will never make program of record status. The entire F-35 fleet was grounded some years back when Chinese electrical components were found to be used in some systems.

Lots of "agencies" have and use DJI equipment, some use them in some light commercial experiments but not in government defense applications. Some obtain them to break, inspect, and modify the code in order to integrate other accessories or to employ more sophisticated ground stations. Hardware can be adapted to be controlled by different soft and firmware. Even Pixhawk/PX4 is often shunned. 3DR's previous move of company operations to China caused red flags (no pun intended) to be raised by many groups, and the open source code, although very good and extremely flexible, created a lot of consternation, generating efforts to develop proprietary code to replace it.
Last edited by PatR; Mar 13, 2017 at 08:09 AM.
Mar 13, 2017, 09:47 AM
With the current political environment and the concern for privacy, my former legal colleagues who were the driver for selecting DJI for the project sent me the article regarding data collection by drone and requested my comments for remediation. Their actions indicates the energy industry​ is watching. The government sector which is more conservative no doubt is watching too.
Mar 13, 2017, 10:01 AM
BTW, data collection is not illegal and if done right, it will not compromise the privacy. That said, it will require transparency. Unfortunately, DJI doesn't have a record nor reputation in this area. Hence it would be interesting how it plays out under current political environment.
Mar 13, 2017, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
Unfortunately people like to gloss over things. Stating that the US government doesn't use DJI is false. They are in fact currently in contact (Contract??) with them. IF one is suppose to rely on information that was posted on the very first link I posted. Gentleman seems pretty credible:

"About Executive Mosaic: Founded in 2002, Executive Mosaic is a leadership organization and media company. Executive Mosaic offers highly coveted executive events, breaking business news on the Government Contracting industry, and delivers robust and reliable content through seven influential websites and four consequential E-newswires. Headquarters are located in Tysons Corner, VA."

Now it seems if the US Government IS allowing DJI to develop Data Collection Systems for the newer drones such as the General Atomics MQ-1C Gray Eagle pictured in the announcement, they don't seem to not only be concerned with who is gathering, or has the capabilities of doing such, but are indeed allowing them to develop the technology. Then why is it the normal U.S. citizen should be concerned with it?

Again, first link from above posting: https://www.govconwire.com/2017/01/d...v-data-demand/
I'm not glossing over anything. I guess in your haste to defend DJI you overlooked that no where did I say that the US government wasn't using DJI products, I said the government was restricting the purchase of DJI product. The government, like many commercial operators had to learn fist hand what a messed up company DJI is to do business with.

All of the anecdotal evidence you used to prove your point are from DJI press releases. They can spin it anyway they want in a press release, Seagate manufactures hard drives, DJI manufactures toy multirotors, I doubt either of them are in a position to develop and provide the commercial drone market with a solution that will effectively enable operators to collect, share, process and use the huge amount of data aerial surveying will generate.

You don't have to dig very deep to discover that DJI technology is not well engineered, it's a closed system that is next to impossible to integrate into existing workflows of the professionals that require the data and in most cases can't provide the resolute data required to meet the minimum thresholds.

All of this is going to get worse as the consumer market for toy multirotors flattens and DJI tries to enter the commercial market. They are going to continue to seek out other technology companies who have little knowledge of the commercial drone market and think that DJI provides them with market share opportunities. These types of press releases will be released fast and furious as DJI tries to spin their way to market leadership.
Mar 13, 2017, 10:45 AM
There's no need to log in to your DJI account to use the app.

For complete privacy you can buy a DJI drone, download the app onto a dedicated tablet or phone, put the mobile device into flight mode and use as you wish. You won't have maps, but there's the trade off.

If you don't have dedicated device an alternative would be to delete the DJI Go app after each 'sensitive' flight and download again once you re-connect to WiFi or 4G.

Quick Reply