Mar 29, 2017, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
I know the nose retract comes from H.K and I have had good luck with them. I like the simple steering arm. The 3/8 Robart struts are indeed a good fit for the 8mm pin. They are probably as good as any retract with micro switch controllers as opposed to a separate controller that senses current. I make mine accessible for replacement just in case.

Dean
Hi Dean,

Your JP 95mm e-brakes are in.

Your PM box is full. Please call or email me at [email protected]

Thanks, Gary
Latest blog entry: Updated blog - Oct 2017
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2017, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Good points. Are you sure it's time that degrades the epoxy? I was assuming it was the effect of the long term slime exposure. Good points though. I'm at a point where I could probe the wing joints, and for that matter, I could flip it over and sandbag the wings for a controlled overload stress test. I'd much rather reinforce than rebuild, but you have spurred me to take a close look at it.
Several years ago I bought a used glass German R/C sailplane. It had never seen fuel but the epoxy that had been used in the belly to install the radio gear was soft and was not truly stuck to the fuselage. It peeled off easily. I'm pretty sure someone used 5 minute epoxy in this nice airplane. I've only seen this with fast curing epoxies; never with good epoxy. My preference is to not use anything faster than 15 minute cure unless the model is a disposable combat or foamie that isn't expected to have a long life.

Good brands of slow curing epoxy like Z Poxy and WEST do not degrade like 5 minute does. WEST is very slow but is safe for building cruising sailboats, fast power boats and experimental aircraft. I've been using WEST products for about 30 years and have never seen a failure of the adhesive.

Just my opinion, adhesive makers and kit manufacturers have recommended 5 minute for many applications where it is not the best choice available. The same can be said for CA, though.

David
Apr 12, 2017, 12:31 PM
Will build for food!!!
Thread OP

Still waiting......

OK guys, still waiting for my back ordered Jet Fan 120 to arrive. Once I have it, I'm looking to do a rough lay out of the wing mount locations on the side of the fuselage to see if I will have enough room to do my carbon fiber wing tube for removable wings. I really don't want to try and move around a 86" long airplane with a 46" wing span in one piece from my basement area out the house. I always seem to ding things up when they are this long and wide.

I'm hoping they will ship it out this week.
Apr 14, 2017, 04:08 PM
Will build for food!!!
Thread OP
OK, this sucks. Still no fan unit. I knew I should have ordered from Gary at efflux.
Apr 14, 2017, 08:33 PM
Yeah, Gary is awsome
Apr 21, 2017, 11:47 AM
Will build for food!!!
Thread OP

Yeahhhh!

Just got email that my back ordered Jet Fan 120 is on it's way.
Apr 25, 2017, 03:45 PM
Here my T-38 12s Sq 4035 560kv Byron fan
Apr 25, 2017, 03:52 PM
Will build for food!!!
Thread OP

Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel RC Design View Post
Here my T-38 12s Sq 4035 560kv Byron fan
What is your flying weight for her?
Apr 27, 2017, 10:17 AM
Will build for food!!!
Thread OP

Oh yeah!!!

So I got a little something in the mail yesterday. Worked on putting it together last night.

I guess it's time to start cutting out my fan mount former's.
Jun 20, 2019, 01:27 PM
I wish there were more kits with fiberglass bodies and foam sheeted balsa wings, it's getting harder and harder to find models that aren't foam throughout the body and wings. (Unless you're talking about F3K Gliders, they have evolved in the opposite direction - unless it's carbon fiber and made in a mold it is looked down on, and if the wings are xps foam core vacuum bagged fiberglass it's considered an entry level knock around plane, only good enough for total beginners.)
Jun 21, 2019, 09:10 AM
Will build for food!!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crash View Post
I wish there were more kits with fiberglass bodies and foam sheeted balsa wings, it's getting harder and harder to find models that aren't foam throughout the body and wings. (Unless you're talking about F3K Gliders, they have evolved in the opposite direction - unless it's carbon fiber and made in a mold it is looked down on, and if the wings are xps foam core vacuum bagged fiberglass it's considered an entry level knock around plane, only good enough for total beginners.)
Joe, you have to keep your eyes open on the websites for these older kits. They are out there but are starting to become harder and harder to find. There's currently a Miller F-4 kit on RCG for sale.
Jun 23, 2019, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crash View Post

They would still be around if there was enough of a market for them to be around. Unfortunately with the "instant gratification" of many in this hobby who wants the latest and greatest foamy (how many times do you see the "next best thing" in the classifieds when that "thing" has only been available for a few days or weeks) its hard for any company to want to offer a "builders" kit. I've got a really cool 90mm sport jet design that is nearly ready for molding, but i've been reluctant to put alot of time into it b/c I just don't think there is a market for those who want something that needs to be built, but maybe there is.

I really like these older Glass and sheeted foam jets. They were relatively inexpensive and were easily adapted and modified to whatever you wanted to do with them. Now, its hard to even Find a kit of anything let alone jets. IF its not all composite, its like there is no market for it, or its something like a Turbinator, Facet, Shockjet or some other ugly flat sided looking thing that is more aiken to a Telemaster than a jet.
Jun 23, 2019, 05:18 PM
If you guys need a T38 nozzle that is pretty nice and scale, i can upload mine from my 1/4.5 T38 project.

Thomas
Last edited by invertmast; Jun 23, 2019 at 09:48 PM.
Jun 25, 2019, 11:48 AM
Just noticed your build, subbed in!

I too have been wanting a Y/A or some other Glass/built wing kit lately, and Jet Jam this year has drove that nail in a bit more. At the same time I have been wanting to try making my own mold for a while...
Jun 25, 2019, 12:11 PM
Will build for food!!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dee View Post
Just noticed your build, subbed in!

I too have been wanting a Y/A or some other Glass/built wing kit lately, and Jet Jam this year has drove that nail in a bit more. At the same time I have been wanting to try making my own mold for a while...
Chris, there's some nice older kits that come up on here for sale. They will be under gas jets or electric jets classifieds. We also have a FB group named Composite Remote Control Aircraft Builders. Check it out.

Quick Reply