Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by navigator2011, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 09, 2017, 07:34 PM
Folding Spacetime
navigator2011's Avatar
Thread OP
Build Log

Carrying two Blade 180CFXs in one case


I really do enjoy flying my Blade 180CFX. As you may have detected, based on my last blog about the 180CFX, it was love at first flight. So much so that I decided to purchase a second 180CFX--I just like to have two of the same helicopter. Having two or more of the same "micro" is really good for traveling, vacation flying, and the like. I find it difficult to fix things on the road, and having two of the same micro helicopter is convenient since they are so small, the parts and batteries are compatible, and having two can keep me in the game in the event of unforeseen circumstances.

The 180CFX is small and convenient for traveling, but I needed a good case to carry both helicopters on trips. I had purchased the Blade 180CFX Carrying Case, but it holds only one helicopter. But then I had an idea--with all the extra space they put into the case, why not just put two 180s in there? After eyeballing and measuring things, I determined that the interior dimensions of the Blade 180CFX Carrying Case are roughly 1-1/2 inches deep x 9-1/2 inches wide x 17 inches long, and that both 180CFXs could be comfortably stuffed into such a volume.

I chose to purchase a custom-cut slab of charcoal foam from The Foam Factory. A custom slab of foam that would fit the Blade 180CFX Carrying Case cost a little over $10. Ordering was super easy, just enter the desired dimensions of the foam, add the resulting custom-cut foam to my Cart, and then check out. A few days later, I found a package at my door containing my foam. The foam had been vacuum compressed for shipping. After allowing my foam to expand for a couple of days, as instructed, I was ready to cut the foam.

Cutting the foam was quite a process. First, I traced the cutout of the stock Blade foam onto white paper. I always found the stock Blade cutout to be just a bit too long my un-stretched 180CFX, and so I decided to shorten my new trace by about 1/2 inch. Once I was happy with the trace, and confident that I got it right, I cut out the trace from the paper to get a cutout shape. Since I have two 180CFXs to deal with, I made a duplicate cutout shape. Next, I moved the two cutout shapes around on the new foam until I was happy with the overall layout, at which point I taped the two cutouts together. I then drew a trace of the two taped cutout shapes onto the bottom of the foam--the side I would be cutting. I used a box cutter with the blade fully extended (about 3 inches) and followed the traced line as best I could.

I don't frequently cut foam, and so there was a learning curve--and a few consequent screw-ups along the way. I was able to fiddle with the screw-ups to make them acceptable until I arrived at a custom foam piece that I am happy with. I then cut a pair of slots that each hold three batteries.

My new foam is not as cleanly cut as the stock Blade foam, but I'm very happy to have both of my 180CFXs and six batteries safely tucked away for traveling.
Last edited by navigator2011; Mar 15, 2017 at 12:48 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts


Quick Reply
Message:
Thread Tools