Mar 09, 2017, 04:37 PM
Little green man
Thread OP
Yippee!

Today was my first (half ) successful flight

I bought trainstar tough trainer and after some troubles with the transmitter I got to fly it today. This is my first time ever flying fixed wing aircraft.

I really wanted to try it so I went to the first open field. I live on a country side and there are those fields where potatoes were growing in the summer. They are not great, but at least there are no bushes on them. But they are pretty rough. I managed to launch it from there.
After a successful liftoff I circled with the plane for about a minute. Then when I got higher the wind got stronger. I didn't want to risk a crash so I came down and started approaching for landing. I totally forgot everything that I should have done. I didn't even notice what was the wind direction, I didn't do a couple of flybys before landing. But I did remember how to land it. I kept the throttle low and used elevons to give it more lift. It was approaching the ground quite slow and I decided to go for landing. As I said, the surface was quite rough, and the plane tipped over as soon as the wheels touched the ground. I ended up with half-broken elevons and rudder. But it's not something a little glue can't fix.

This may seem like a unsuccessful flight, but for me it was great. I got a huge kick out of looking my plane fly over me perfectly steady with no input from me. I never got that while flying quadcopters.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2017, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by I14R10
I bought trainstar tough trainer and after some troubles with the transmitter I got to fly it today. This is my first time ever flying fixed wing aircraft.

I really wanted to try it so I went to the first open field. I live on a country side and there are those fields where potatoes were growing in the summer. They are not great, but at least there are no bushes on them. But they are pretty rough. I managed to launch it from there.
After a successful liftoff I circled with the plane for about a minute. Then when I got higher the wind got stronger. I didn't want to risk a crash so I came down and started approaching for landing. I totally forgot everything that I should have done. I didn't even notice what was the wind direction, I didn't do a couple of flybys before landing. But I did remember how to land it. I kept the throttle low and used elevons to give it more lift. It was approaching the ground quite slow and I decided to go for landing. As I said, the surface was quite rough, and the plane tipped over as soon as the wheels touched the ground. I ended up with half-broken elevons and rudder. But it's not something a little glue can't fix.

This may seem like a unsuccessful flight, but for me it was great. I got a huge kick out of looking my plane fly over me perfectly steady with no input from me. I never got that while flying quadcopters.

Congratulations!

The feeling of successfully flying an RC airplane for the first time is awesome. Good news ! That feeling does not truly go away after the first flight. There are so many accomplishments and milestones to look forward to. Such a deep hobby with many different flight characteristics with varying planes.

Quadcopters are cool but airplanes are on a different level.
Mar 09, 2017, 08:07 PM
Little green man
Thread OP
Thanks shonmac. I look forward to flying it again. I'll have a camera mounted on it the next time so maybe I'll put the video here.

I must admit that I cleaned my plane with tissues when I got home and told him that he'll be fixed and flying in no time I'm really going mad
Mar 09, 2017, 09:15 PM
yank and bank!!
Nice job
Mar 09, 2017, 09:30 PM
Perpetual Noob
Congratulations on your first flight
Mar 10, 2017, 04:24 AM
Retired
Quite the rush wasn't it..
Mar 10, 2017, 04:28 AM
Learn to build with wood.
I kind of wish I could go back and get that feeling again!
Mar 10, 2017, 06:50 AM
Star Wars A New Hope comes to mind; when they are fighting the Tie fighters and Han Solo tells Luke "don't get cocky kid!"

Regards
Mar 10, 2017, 04:13 PM
Little green man
Thread OP
Thanks guys
If I nailed the landing in the first attempt, then I would get cocky . Good thing nobody was there to see my first landing.
Mar 10, 2017, 05:34 PM
Just here to have fun with RC
Quote:
Thanks guys
If I nailed the landing in the first attempt, then I would get cocky . Good thing nobody was there to see my first landing.
I think we all would have applauded the landing.
Mar 10, 2017, 06:15 PM
I14R10
Your plane is a "he"?
I thought, like ships, they were traditionally female!
Mar 10, 2017, 07:18 PM
Little green man
Thread OP
Ah sorry, I forgot. English is not my native language and we refer to it as "he" or "it". After watching so much Star Trek I don't know how I could've forgot that.

Actually, I'm starting to call him (she) Alligator. When I got it I would grab him by the tail to see how much thrust it has. Like that alligator wranglers.

Now I just have to paint him like an Alligator. Should be fun
Last edited by I14R10; Mar 10, 2017 at 07:23 PM.
Mar 10, 2017, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Now I just have to paint him like an Alligator. Should be fun
Congrats on the first flight. Any landing you can walk away from is a successful landing. Be careful about the alligator theme. They're camouflaged for a reason - to make them more difficult to see. It works in the sky too. Mottled medium-dark green-brown will disappear very quickly against a varied cloud background. Against a blue sky it's not too bad but not for a uniform all over texture of color. Alligator theme is cool but white, yellow and orange are best for visibility. I airbrushed a snakeskin on a plane, and it was terrrrible. I added a bunch of yellow around all the edges and it was mostly doable but still not easy to see. As a newbie fixed wing pilot you need all the clues you can get as regards visibility.
Mar 11, 2017, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorneng
I14R10
Your plane is a "he"?
I thought, like ships, they were traditionally female!
My Cessna 182 is a she but my T 28 is definitely a he. I looked
Mar 11, 2017, 03:14 PM
Little green man
Thread OP
Yes, I agree about not painting my plane, I was only joking about that.

Quick Reply