Eachine Aurora 100: 94.5g, F3+OSD, 10A BLheli_S/Dshot600, 600TVL (under construction) - RC Groups
View Poll Results: Eachine Aurora 100
My Aurora 100 flies perfect out of the box 44 53.66%
My aurora 100 drifts in Angle or Horizon modes 12 14.63%
My aurora 100 presents some "pitch up" after hard turns 1 1.22%
My aurora 100 did some Flip of Death (FoD) 15 18.29%
I broke super fast an arm of my Aurora 100 10 12.20%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Mar 09, 2017, 02:08 PM
Mini-Review

Eachine Aurora 100: 94.5g, F3+OSD, 10A BLheli_S/Dshot600, 600TVL (under construction)

Disclaimer (inspired from SP) Product specifications and quality may vary at the manufacturer's discretion, and are beyond my influence. I cannot guarantee you will get a product that performs exactly the same as seen and described in this review. Please, no savage affiliate links! By the way, in contracdiction with some other reviewers, I open a new mini-review thread ONLY when I have the machine in hand ....

INTRODUCTION

After the promising but in practice dispointing Eachine Aurora 90, here is the Eachine Aurora 100. This time bye bye the full carbon based prop guard system and the X design. Here we have more a 98mm machine with a classic H design. But all the electronic remains the same: strong F3 omnibus FC with a builtin betaflight OSD, 10A 4-in1 BLheli_S/Dshot 600 ESC, 600 TVL 25mW AIO FPV camera, 1104/7500Kv brushless motors, and a builtin buzzer. As for most recent Eachine model, three choices of receiver are available: DSM2/X spektrum, Flysky AFHDS-2A, and FrSky D8. Let's check this new model.

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x Eachine Aurora 100 (with a 2S 450mAh LiPo with JST connector)
+ 4 x Green spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)
+ 1 x Screwdriver
+ 1 x M2 Allen key
+ 2 x Rubber band
+ 1 x Velcro band
+ 1 x Instruction manual (English)

The two rubber bands can be used to fix the battery. One through upper arms, the other one via the lower arms. The two circled piece of foam are in practice usefull to fix the AIO camera behind the red camera support.

OVERVIEW

The 98mm machine as the EA90 includes the Eachine minicube, a compact three layers boards system. The lower board is the 4-in-1 ESC + PDB, the second is the F3 board while the top one is the receiver. No ESC connectors, motor's wire are directly soldered on latteral sides.

The main lower structure is full 3K carbon based with 1.5mm of thickness.

-Front view

With the battery strapped playing the role of landing gear.

-Side view

The CL antenna is no more protected and directly exposed to crash. More, the FPV range will be impacted by the low profile positionning of the antenna.

The left side now offer a clear access to the microUSB port . Moto''s wires are directly soldered. on each latteral side.

-Rear view

The rear LED bar is fully programmable via betafligh and bonus for the EA100, the larson scanner effect is here

-Upper view

A large and relatively loud square buzzer is installed on top

For the FrSKy receiver, the bind button is positioned on top

-Bottom view

A unique carbon plate with builtin arms.

ESC chips. I advise to cover the lower PCB with liquid electrical tape.

with battery strapped

-Weight

94.3g with the battery and the velcro strap, it's 13-14g lighter than the EA90

Motors & props

Racestar 1104 motors 7500Kv. They should be 3S compatible.

Same 2035 racerstar quadriblades as for EA90. Shaft section is 1.5mm.

Good news, the spare ones are green, so you can easily mixed them to improve LOS flights.

LiPo

Exactly the same 450mAh with main certainly an overrated 80C for discharge rate.

FPV AIO module

The same AIO 5.8G 48CH 600TVL camera but a with a three leaves antennna. The FOV is not officially announced but not too large, probably around 120 degrees. Good news, the camera is well fixed in the red aluminium mount dislike the EA90. It will reduce even more the jello effect.

The lens orientation can be ajusted via the two upper latteral screws.

The 48CH module present two tiny button. The first front one flip/Mirror the video but if keep pressed more than 2s, it cycle between NTSC (default) and PAL system. The rear button is shortly pressed selects one of the 8 Vfreq in the current Vband and if long pressed cycles among the six supported bands

A raw video sample

Eachine Aurora 100 raw video sample (2 min 44 sec)

UNBOXING, ANALYSIS, BINDING, CONFIGURATION AND DEMO FLIGHT

Eachine Aurora 100 unboxing, analysis, binding, configuration and demo flights (Courtesy Banggood) (33 min 33 sec)

Whaoohhh ... this machine out of the box is super fun. Good news, actually no more weird behaviours, drifts in angle mode, sudden rear right motor thrust lost. I hope versus time and crash it will be definitively confirmed especially the drift effect in angle mode. The machine is clearly more powerfull. 13g less and it make a huge difference. Punch outs are very good despite being a 2S system only. I noticed some vibrations can be heard with high throttle inputs, probably due to the flexibility of arms..In another hand, no jellos can be observed in the FPV link. Of course, now props are much more vulnarable to crash and you will have to stock a lot as spare. The FPV camera offer correct light sensitivity and for FOV well adapted for outdoors application. THe FPV range is IMHO a little bit negatively impacted by the low positionning. Flight times are around 3min30 in average.

Another demo in more open space

Eachine Aurora 100 new demo flight and crashes (6 min 48 sec)

There are some positive confirmations. The AIO camera works well, no real problem to reach 100m of range. The machine is super smooth in acro... and mine didn't show any sign of drift in angle/horizon. Punch out are just impressive... a real monster of power. In the other hand, I observed some inexpected "Flip of the death" at the end of roll ..... Really strange. ... the machine became completly crazy and rolls ultra fast during several tour .... And without miracle after the third big crash, an arm broke . I recommand to order spare lower plate: http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Aurora-100-Mini-Brushless-FPV-Racer-Spare-Part-Bottom-Plate-3K-Carbon-Fiber-p-1131282.html... or maybe another alternative is to move completly all the electronic on the Eachine Firer 110 (or 80 ?) frame: http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Firer-110-110MM-Micro-Brushless-FPV-Multirotor-Racing-Frame-19_5g-3K-Carbon-Fiber-p-1131317.html

CONCLUSIONS

The Aurora 100 is clearly far superior to the EA90 in term of stability and power. All problems of the first model seem over. This machine is a super outdoors acro flyer. The builtin betaflight OSD is a great addition. In the other hand, the price is the durability probably less important with thin 1.5mm arm, and the absence of prop and antenna guards.

PROS

+ Powerfull machine
+ Stable and great acro flyer
+ No more drift/motor thurst lost as for the EA90
+ F3 Omni FC
+ Dshot600 ESC
+ Betaflight OSD
+ Builtin Buzzer
+ Easy microUSB access
+ AIO camera can be uptilted and is better fixed
+ LED bars including Larson effect
+ Comes with Betaflight 3.1 well tuned with default factory

CONS

- Fragile arm section
- Potential "Flip of the death" ?
- No more prop guard
- Cloverleaf antenna exposed
- Fragile props
- 3min-3min30 of flying duration

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thank them for this attitude.
You can find it actually for 130USD at http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Aurora100-100mm-Mini-Brushless-FPV-Racer-BNF-w-F3-OSD-10A-Dshot600-5_8G-25MW-48CH-VTX-p-1127606.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Mar 11, 2017 at 10:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2017, 02:08 PM
reserved
Latest blog entry: Youbi XV-130 130MM FPV Racer
Mar 09, 2017, 02:45 PM
Great review, do you think this could be transplanted into an Atom V2 frame without doing any soldering?
Mar 09, 2017, 03:53 PM
Dam you got that one fast,
Thanks you have relaxed my buyers remorse for buying before the reviews got in,
is there an alternative fpv antenna that fits that would be more durable?
Last edited by iamMiZ; Mar 09, 2017 at 05:38 PM.
Mar 09, 2017, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoShizzleDizzzle
Great review, do you think this could be transplanted into an Atom V2 frame without doing any soldering?
Without ? no I don'think so ....
Mar 10, 2017, 02:33 AM
I add the excellent FyreSG video:

Eachine Aurora 100 (FrSKY) BNF - Review (18 min 1 sec)

For his machine, he reported some drift in angle like the EA90 ... so be aware ... so probably a question of luck or not to have them (faulty/cheapy MPU ?)
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Mar 10, 2017 at 01:18 PM.
Mar 10, 2017, 07:56 AM
Vids: YouTube.com/FyreSG
Thanks for sharing my video. I'll put a link to this thread in my video description.

Yes, it has unfixable drift on my EA100, but I'm glad I don't fly self-leveling.
Mar 10, 2017, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG
Thanks for sharing my video. I'll put a link to this thread in my video description.

Yes, it has unfixable drift on my EA100, but I'm glad I don't fly self-leveling.
I will double check in my next flight session .... if for mine the drif are deinitively away
Mar 10, 2017, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
I will double check in my next flight session .... if for mine the drif are deinitively away
Please do LOS as well. I would like to know noise level.
Mar 10, 2017, 02:20 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Great flying, Fyre! Also like the choice of music for the flight. Could this be the ultimate small brushless? OSD, great performance. Only the drift issues may be of concern, even when someone is not flying self leveling modes, it's still a sign of either a partially broken FC, or frame/props/motors promoting extra vibrations.
Mar 10, 2017, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Great flying, Fyre! Also like the choice of music for the flight. Could this be the ultimate small brushless? OSD, great performance. Only the drift issues may be of concern, even when someone is not flying self leveling modes, it's still a sign of either a partially broken FC, or frame/props/motors promoting extra vibrations.
I am raising a caution about the 1.5mm arm .... I am afraid they can break on hard surfaces ... Except that one my favorite machine actually
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Mar 11, 2017 at 02:57 AM.
Mar 10, 2017, 04:30 PM
Can you explain what you refer to as "drift"? what this actually means in flight? and this isn't something that is tuned out by adjusting trim?
Mar 10, 2017, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus
Can you explain what you refer to as "drift"? what this actually means in flight? and this isn't something that is tuned out by adjusting trim?
They are talking about a progressive left bank. As they fly it gets worse and worse. This is only in self leveling flight modes. Some people have fixed the issue I believe with soft mounting the FC. Lots of info on the issue on the Aurora 90 thread. I ordered the 100 hoping the issue would not follow the 100. So far we have one reviewer with the issue and one without.
Mar 11, 2017, 01:11 AM
Vids: YouTube.com/FyreSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
If power is the most important factor, then it could be the ultimate micro brushless. But some of us expect micros to be resistant to crashes, so in this aspect, the lack of prop guards makes this unsuitable to be the ultimate micro brushless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoRC
They are talking about a progressive left bank. As they fly it gets worse and worse. This is only in self leveling flight modes. Some people have fixed the issue I believe with soft mounting the FC. Lots of info on the issue on the Aurora 90 thread. I ordered the 100 hoping the issue would not follow the 100. So far we have one reviewer with the issue and one without.
Yes, indeed. I think the drift problem is a great reason to avoid Angle or Horizon modes. Acro mode is a great way to fly FPV, and is completely unaffected by the drift problem.
Mar 11, 2017, 03:32 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG
If power is the most important factor, then it could be the ultimate micro brushless. But some of us expect micros to be resistant to crashes, so in this aspect, the lack of prop guards makes this unsuitable to be the ultimate micro brushless.

For me flight performance is the most important thing, durability is a nice bonus. But I'd rather fly something that handles like a dream, but might break in a hard crash, than something that is built like a tank, but also flies like one...