Jul 11, 2019, 08:15 PM
EthanRC
Took the Cessna 150 out and the CZ Cub SS out today for some flying with my dad. we flew through 7 6s packs and had a blast.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2019, 08:28 PM
EthanRC
Photo of them in the truck.
Jul 11, 2019, 09:35 PM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Yep. Another great session.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Jul 12, 2019, 09:30 PM

Maiden flight

Iíve read through the threads and find it interesting the extremes of experience.
Some people have nothing but problems.
Some people have no problems at all.

I ran it on a 6S 5000.
On my 3rd flight, the receiver hatch popped off, without going inverted. Maybe I didnít close it tight enough
On my 4th flight, the nose gear push rod came off the servo arm during a touch and go.
I didnít think it was a particularly hard touch, and would have expected the shocks to handle it.
The wheel turned 90į.
I managed to land safely, but the inner nose gear strut bent a bit near the top.
I hope to repair it rather than purchase a whole new assembly.

Maiden flight on my Carbon-Z Cessna 150 (2 min 51 sec)
Jul 12, 2019, 10:26 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Hi Steve:

I recognize the club you fly at as I have been there for helicopter fun fly-ins around labour day. The retainer that is used for the nose gear pushrod can be very hard to tell if it is fully seated on the rod or not. I have seen where the original assembler of mine didn't get the retainer on correctly and before I had got two flights out of it, I noticed the lack of steering of the wheel. I made my own upper shaft from a slightly out of shape tail rotor shaft of my Logo 500. The nose gear system would never be bothered by a shaft that is a half thousandths of an inch out of being straight, lol. It also seems to be a bit stronger than the original. Take care.

Don
Jul 17, 2019, 01:29 PM
Rabid Rabbit
I hate the nose wheel setup. Has anyone come up with a standardized replacement and/or fix? Taildragger? Separate servo?
Jul 18, 2019, 03:00 AM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by PookaHat
I hate the nose wheel setup. Has anyone come up with a standardized replacement and/or fix? Taildragger? Separate servo?
The tail dragger mod has been done.
(not my video)

E-flite Carbon-Z Cessna 150 2.1m - Colin Harrington's TEXAS TAIL-DRAGGER! SEFF 2018 (8 min 24 sec)
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Jul 18, 2019, 08:25 AM
Rabid Rabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
The tail dragger mod has been done.
(not my video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgVvG_XlB3o
Are there any videos, pics etc on how they mounted the main gear?
Jul 18, 2019, 10:29 AM
I went through several nose gears early on. After purchasing my third one, I disassembled it entirely and then reassembled it using red lock-tite. Several hundred landings later and it’s been solid since.
Jul 18, 2019, 05:19 PM
Rabid Rabbit
I went to the hobby shop today. The owner helped get it all lined up again. I ordered a new nose wheel gear set as I undoubtedly will need one if I keep flying and have hard landings.
Jul 19, 2019, 04:09 AM
ɹǝʎןℲ ǝıssn∀
Quote:
Have you read this thread??
A taildragger was done earlier on!!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3#post39163632

LURCH
Latest blog entry: Compulsory Reading!!
Jul 19, 2019, 07:25 AM
Rabid Rabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101
Have you read this thread??
A taildragger was done earlier on!!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3#post39163632

LURCH
Thanks for posting that. Iíve got the nose wheel straight, for now, but my sloppy landing practices will probably bring me back soon
Jul 19, 2019, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Thanks for posting that. Iíve got the nose wheel straight, for now, but my sloppy landing practices will probably bring me back soon
The taildraggers setup is interesting, but has some compromises. For one, it was free-swiveling so your control on the ground is limited. Additionally, it added a good deal of weight.

Iíd work on your landings. Spend a flight doing nothing but touch-and-goes. Focus on a steady flair and making the mains touch first. If itís calm, I use full flaps, and if thereís a headwind, I use half flaps.

Spending a flight doing just touch-and-goes can do wonders for you. I have a 8-lb F-16, and recently added a 13-lb A-10 EDF to my hangar. The A-10 prefers a steep approach, then level out for the flair, whereas the F-16 needs a long shallow approach and a high (45 mph) landing speed. After a few weeks of flying the A-10 daily, I took my F-16 to the field. Despite over 200 flights on it, my first two landings were the worst two Iíve ever done. I realized I was flying the approach like the A-10, and unlike the A-10, the F-16 doesnít level out for the flair. I spend my third battery re-acquainting myself with the F-16 and flew a dozen touch-and-goes. After that, my 4th through 6th flights had the usual nice landings I have.
Jul 19, 2019, 07:59 AM
Rabid Rabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryguy
The taildraggers setup is interesting, but has some compromises. For one, it was free-swiveling so your control on the ground is limited. Additionally, it added a good deal of weight.

Iíd work on your landings. Spend a flight doing nothing but touch-and-goes. Focus on a steady flair and making the mains touch first. If itís calm, I use full flaps, and if thereís a headwind, I use half flaps.

Spending a flight doing just touch-and-goes can do wonders for you. I have a 8-lb F-16, and recently added a 13-lb A-10 EDF to my hangar. The A-10 prefers a steep approach, then level out for the flair, whereas the F-16 needs a long shallow approach and a high (45 mph) landing speed. After a few weeks of flying the A-10 daily, I took my F-16 to the field. Despite over 200 flights on it, my first two landings were the worst two Iíve ever done. I realized I was flying the approach like the A-10, and unlike the A-10, the F-16 doesnít level out for the flair. I spend my third battery re-acquainting myself with the F-16 and flew a dozen touch-and-goes. After that, my 4th through 6th flights had the usual nice landings I have.
I just ordered a cheap Parkzone T-28 1.1m (the kind they had 10 years ago). https://www.horizonhobby.com/t-28-tr...d-ss-p-pkz8250 to practice tricycle landing gear landings.
Jul 25, 2019, 09:44 AM
I sent HH pictures of my bent nose gear strut and they sent me an entire new assembly!
Had already straightened the strut and reassembled it, but it’s good to have a spare.

When I was first assembling the plane, I asked HH about replacing a broken rudder horn. Just wanted the horn but they sent the entire hardware kit.

Great customer service!

Quick Reply