Mar 09, 2017, 08:15 AM
stingbrd
Thread OP
Rant

Tower Hobbies

In Aug. 2016 I ordered some parts from Tower Hobbies for their smaller (50 size ?) YouCanDo due to a crash. Some parts were received but others, namely the fuse and tail feathers, were put on back order. I kept checking back with them and they kept giving me new delivery dates. First in October, then November, then late January, then they didn't know. I've been checking back every couple of weeks since January. I finally called last night and they told me that size YouCanDo has been discontinued. What the crap? I buy replacement parts and others get back ordered for 6 months before I get notified of the plane being discontinued? I guess I will round up the other parts and return them but I think this is a lousy way of doing business. So unless I can find these parts somewhere else this plane will go into the trash also. Thanks Tower. I'd hate to think of the all the money I have spent there over the years.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2017, 07:27 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
I don't know---they kept giving you updated reports, probably given to them by the manufacturer...If the manufacturer can't deliver, how can you expect Tower to ?

One of the problems with models in general, and ARFs in particular, is that replacement parts are "suddenly no longer available.."

I'm in the middle of a Taylorcraft ARF repair, and suddenly there are no windshields available anywhere, even from other modelers...What sold for $6.95 when they could be found, is now bringing $35 -$40 bucks.

I'm sure Tower will refund you for what you can't use.-especially now.
Mar 10, 2017, 11:50 AM
G.F. Beurling
Doesn't matter if it's clothing, hobbies, electronics, or etc........after a long life of dealing with retailers and distributors in the brick&morter stores as well as online, I find Tower Hobbies to be one of the best examples of how a business should be run. Their prices are also reasonable to dirt low oftentimes, yet they still provide amongst the best service in the industry. Sorry for your frustration and the inconvenience, but occasionally crap happens.
Mar 10, 2017, 07:25 PM
stingbrd
Thread OP

Tower hobbies

I'm still peeved about the 6 month put off only to be shut out. If I can't find the parts I need here on RCG then you can bet i will be returning the other parts. I will never allow them to put anything on back order again.
Mar 11, 2017, 06:30 AM
Fossil Fuel =Fuel For Fossils
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingbrd
I'm still peeved about the 6 month put off only to be shut out. If I can't find the parts I need here on RCG then you can bet i will be returning the other parts. I will never allow them to put anything on back order again.
Now you know.

That was always an option. They are only guilty of trying to get you the part you wanted . Most reasonable people would thank them for the effort and move along to other options with nary a whimper.

Good luck...
Latest blog entry: YS 1.60 Zero Nitromethane
Mar 11, 2017, 09:23 AM
stingbrd
Thread OP

Tower

Nary a whimper or a U Can Do.
Mar 14, 2017, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.f. Beurling
doesn't matter if it's clothing, hobbies, electronics, or etc........after a long life of dealing with retailers and distributors in the brick&morter stores as well as online, i find tower hobbies to be one of the best examples of how a business should be run. Their prices are also reasonable to dirt low oftentimes, yet they still provide amongst the best service in the industry. Sorry for your frustration and the inconvenience, but occasionally crap happens.
+1
Mar 14, 2017, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingbrd
In Aug. 2016 I ordered some parts from Tower Hobbies for their smaller (50 size ?) YouCanDo due to a crash. Some parts were received but others, namely the fuse and tail feathers, were put on back order. I kept checking back with them and they kept giving me new delivery dates. First in October, then November, then late January, then they didn't know. I've been checking back every couple of weeks since January. I finally called last night and they told me that size YouCanDo has been discontinued. What the crap? I buy replacement parts and others get back ordered for 6 months before I get notified of the plane being discontinued? I guess I will round up the other parts and return them but I think this is a lousy way of doing business. So unless I can find these parts somewhere else this plane will go into the trash also. Thanks Tower. I'd hate to think of the all the money I have spent there over the years.
Can't tell you how many times I've seen parts that were due late March, mid April- etc, etc, etc.
When the due date arrives, more delay's. Very frustrating especially when your trying to put together a decent size order or parts for a project.

BUT... Tower is in the biz of selling parts, not making them - they can only tell you - what manufacturer's tell them.

But you know what the real kicker is?? Today's modeler's have access to a wealth of info & a ga-jillion online retailers the world over via a Google search.

Yet when just one of those ga-jillion online retailers doesn't have the parts someone needs; he exercises his fingers posting a rant on a forum instead of exercising them with Google.
SMH
Mar 14, 2017, 06:20 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Well- Yes and No ! He has a wanted ad posted in RCG's Classifieds, which was recommended as a solution...

He did 'exercise his fingers', but with no luck so far...

Although the rant may not have been particularly wise, it could be a learning tool concerning back orders...

It seems a shame that the fuselage couldn't have been repaired or a new one constructed, however.
Mar 14, 2017, 12:56 PM
stingbrd
Thread OP
Yeah well the tail feathers could be cut out and saved but no way on the fuse. The front half was destroyed. Wing not even hurt though so I just thought I would get what I needed and rebuild it. I have brought crashed birds back to life by rebuilding but cant work miracles so sometimes I just have to buy new parts for the rebuild.
I guess RANT was a bit strong but I was irritated after buying some parts then waiting 6 months for rest only to be told it was oops. How much longer were they going to wait before notifying me if I hadn't called them?
Last edited by stingbrd; Mar 14, 2017 at 02:49 PM.
Mar 15, 2017, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl
Well- Yes and No ! He has a wanted ad posted in RCG's Classifieds, which was recommended as a solution...

He did 'exercise his fingers', but with no luck so far...

Although the rant may not have been particularly wise, it could be a learning tool concerning back orders...

It seems a shame that the fuselage couldn't have been repaired or a new one constructed, however.
Earl, my post was the result of a recent experience. To get free ship on a recent HobbyPartz order, I added this... http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m268-2445-2900kv-17t.html - for a future boat project (pond rocket). Ship would've been $6.95, so realistically speaking, I only paid $6 for the motor - good deal to say the least.

Motor in hand I went looking for a water jacket to keep it cool.

I figured, no prob, hop on eBay there's probably only a gazillion of them there, nope, nodda - huh

Started checking one online e-tailer after another & kept coming up empty handed - huh, wt*f, I know I've seen 'em

Long story short, after burning the midnight oil a couple times, I found one (& only one) in England - at a hobbyshop that caters to the British isles - that of course means they don't have a mega online presence like most others who will ship virtually anywhere.

Kinda figured if I can find a water jacket for a 24mm in-runner at an obscure hobby shop in England, then the skies the limit - literally.

Hope that helps to explain where I was coming from

Peace
Mar 15, 2017, 06:29 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Peace....agreed.
Apr 06, 2017, 05:29 PM
Unfortunately, this is the product of the "throwaway" model environment we have created for ourselves with ARF's. Very few hobby shops are still in business. I love to build. Very few model kit manufacturers are still around. For this reason, I am buying every kit I can find at a swap meet, that I never bought from a manufacturer while they were in business. Stingbrd- if you don't feel you could manage the rebuild, I bet you could find someone from your local club to help or do it for you. I've never dealt with anyone who does it better that Tower Hobbies. Problems have always been resolved without issue- to my satisfaction or above. Use it or lose it, as with so many other things in life.

Quick Reply