Hobbyking's MIchael Wargo Signature Yak 55 EPP Foamy - Page 81 - RC Groups
Jan 03, 2018, 01:32 PM
Fly low and slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBIII
PaulB, what is the spider wire hinge mod?
I wondered that as well.
It is quoted here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ
Might as well discuss glue while waiting for Michaels Yak to get back in stock.

Started out with Welders in the "old days". It did turn yellow and it did get brittle. Next tried a WalMart hobby dept glue, G6000 I think, Was OK. Then a Beacon product called QuikGrip. I liked this one. Cures fast, strong joint and no yellow. I use the tape method mentioned before for hinging. I also cut a shallow slit on the ends and CA in a short piece of fishing line (spider wire). A forever hinge----so far.

For EPP, not for Depron or Dollar Store foam.

Patiently Yours,

RonJ
I'm still none the wiser ;(
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2018, 03:45 PM
Mine arrived today and the plywood piece on bottom of the wing for securing the rubber band was broken.
I glued it back on, hopefully that will work.
Jan 03, 2018, 03:55 PM
Quote:
PaulB, what is the spider wire hinge mod? Spider wire is non stretch fishing line?
Yep, forget where I saw it, (didn't understand at first), have a search.

Basically it involves cutting a slit in the (for example) wing and aileron at 90 to the hinge line (but not through the hinge line) so that a length of Spider Wire can be Cynod across the hinge line to create a super strong but flexible hinge across the hinge line. Complicated but if you can't find the posts I could post some pictures. Ten minutes to do, seems to work a treat,.........

Paul
Jan 03, 2018, 04:01 PM
The runway used to be longer
Those Chinese plywood elastic anchor points are pretty optimistic IMO.
One of mine broke under tension which was exciting.
I replaced them with aluminum parts which have worked perfectly to date.

You should probably back up your fix with more wood at the very least, or glue the wing in. If one quits in flight it will make a great video, and probably not hurt the plane much.
Jan 03, 2018, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mike

You should probably back up your fix with more wood at the very least, or glue the wing in. If one quits in flight it will make a great video, and probably not hurt the plane much.
Thanks, I will keep an eye on it.
I did a trial fit of the wing to the fuselage, mine is really tight. I was not able to get the wing flush with to the fuse. Did not want to force it. Is any modification of the hole or wing required to make it fit?
Jan 03, 2018, 05:13 PM
I just had to trim my fuselage to get the wings to fit.

Paul
Jan 04, 2018, 07:32 AM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D plane.
Quote:
Thanks, I will keep an eye on it.
I did a trial fit of the wing to the fuselage, mine is really tight. I was not able to get the wing flush with to the fuse. Did not want to force it. Is any modification of the hole or wing required to make it fit?
The priority is to get a square plane, Supposing your fuselage is strait, both distances from the tail to wings tips should be the same and 90 deg. angle between spar and fuselage laterally and longitudinally. Check the angles with the spar only. If the fuselage holes are crooks, better modify (enlarge) the hole on one or both sides. A light piece of a thin plywood glued to the existing box can later block the spar if needed.
Jan 04, 2018, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauconnier
The priority is to get a square plane, Supposing your fuselage is strait, both distances from the tail to wings tips should be the same and 90 deg. angle between spar and fuselage laterally and longitudinally. Check the angles with the spar only. If the fuselage holes are crooks, better modify (enlarge) the hole on one or both sides. A light piece of a thin plywood glued to the existing box can later block the spar if needed.
Thanks, my fuselage is straight. So it shouldn't be a problem. I was able to get the wings to fit last night. The leading edge was the problem.

Servo question. I have some servos from a Techone Tempo 3D that I was going to use but it would require the holes in the wing and fuselage to be enlarged.
I think they are 17g servos. Hobbyking website recommends 9-12g. I would assume the "g" rating is size.
What's the harm in using the servos I have? Weight?
Jan 04, 2018, 08:53 AM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D plane.
May be the CG for the rear servos ?? If you can find the exact proven CG you can finish your set up with them and move them forward if needed .
Jan 10, 2018, 06:47 PM
28 yrs. Of Aircraft flying
Thinking about this plane, just wondered if Anyone flying a scorpion motor in this thing? I wonder if a 3008-28 would be to big here is the specs on it.
weight... 89.5 Grams
max watts...400
KV...1086

Im pretty sure this is the motor i flew on a balsa edge 540 profile i used to have. there is a sheet inside the box we have wrote on it that with a 11x4.7sf 9krpm and 50oz thrust 34amps

just have it so thought it might work... i want a motor that will last

Thanks
Jan 10, 2018, 09:31 PM
Custom User Title
I think it would probably be a good motor choice.

It's about 10 grams heavier than my motor, and I've moved my battery forward as far as possible (I've cut out foam behind the motor) to balance the plane. I'm using 2x12g servos in the tail. It balances out just ever so slightly nose heavy at this point. If I moved the battery back 1/8" or so it would probably be perfect.
Jan 11, 2018, 02:22 AM
Finally managed to get 5 minutes of Man Cave time and got the motor and ESC fitted, wings also done (as in servos mounted). Not much meat left around the screws as widely reported but soaked in Cyno and if they rip out it won't be a biggie to fix.

Tail feathers glued on using Goop sparingly and was surprised to find that she is fractionally tail heavy before I fit the tail servos/ linkages. I am using Graphine 1300 45C which are at around 120 grams I think which is a touch over what 'standard' 1300's would be. Rather than extend the battery cut-out I have decided to go with a Closed Loop (pull-pull) linkage to get the servos further forwards (just behind the aileron trailing edge) and to reduce the weight of the linkage.

Not a real disaster and I think that she would have flown 'as was', also have to state that I am using the power combo which includes a 20A ESC, Big M recommends a 30A but I am not sure of the weight difference.

What is annoying, it has warmed up to 5 - 10 degrees C with next to no wind and has been like that for the last 3 days with my Baby sitting on the bench. Wonna bet that when I get her finished that it will be a different story????

Paul
Jan 13, 2018, 04:23 PM
THIS IS NOT A 'YOU HAVE TO DO THIS' POST, JUST HOW I WENT ABOUT IT.
Sure that she flies just fine 'as is'.

Got some more Man Cave time today and got her finished off. As I had posted I moved the elevator and rudder servo towards the C of G because I was worried about being tail heavy (pictures to follow, camera is playing-up). Closed loop (pull-pull) linkages, wings removable and the original (heavy) U/C (with bigger but lighter wheels) and 1300 45C Graphines fitted to the front of the original battery cut-out .

Lookey here, C of G at 128 - 130 mm, perrrrrrfect!!!! Looking forward to the maiden tomorrow.

Small point, the recommended servos are pretty good, I generally use Corona for this kind of stuff but these seem to be fast, strong and smooth. Thing is that they 'only' move 45 degrees, even with 140 movement (Futaba, that is the maximum) and as I am using Closed Loop that equates to 45 degrees on both elevator and rudder, would have liked a bit more on the elevator, have to wait and see.

Paul(MaidenTomorrowMaidenTomorrowMaidenTomorrowMai denTomorrow)B

Jan 15, 2018, 03:07 AM
Category Manager - Planes
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB
perrrrrrfect!!!! Looking forward to the maiden tomorrow.
Video or it didn't happen
Jan 15, 2018, 03:08 AM
Category Manager - Planes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mike

I'll see if we can switch them out to FR4 in the future

Quick Reply