Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Microsoft's Drone Simulator Looks to Improve Drone Technology

Drone technology makers typically deal with costly prototypes during development and testing usually ends with destroying many drones while the bugs are worked out. Microsoft has a better way with their Aerial Informatics and Robotics Platform simulator....

Splash

Developers Can Test Simulated Real World Results

Drone technology makers typically deal with costly prototypes during development and testing usually ends with destroying many drones while the bugs are worked out. Microsoft has a better way with their Aerial Informatics and Robotics Platform simulator. This open source software allows developers to test their drones in a simulated real world environment. The software features photorealistic images with the normal obstacles you'd find in the real world like power lines, trees, buildings and more. Instead of testing real world prototypes and finding out a bug would cause a crash, developers can test over and over in the simulator saving possibly years of work and funding. It's the future of drone development.

Team lead Ashish Kapoor hints that this isn't a full replacement for real world testing, that will still need to happen, but the software can serve to complement it and provide hard to gather data points to speed up the development process. The software is much more sophisticated than traditional sims and it better represents the difficulties of navigating obstacles in a realistic way. The video we've seen makes the software look amazing with great textures, shadows and details that rival even the best looking high end video games.

The software currently supports DJI and MavLink drones, but devs can write their own code to control other platforms if needed. Microsoft does plan to add more tools in the future, but this early release is still pretty incredible for what it is capable of. Devs can have it generate random environments for their drones to be tested in and you can utilize sensors on the drone such as obstacle avoidance cameras, pressure sensors and more. The data this sim will provide will be invaluable for researchers and we can't wait to see how it grows as new updates are released. - Source: Microsoft

Check out the Aerial Informatics and Robotics Platform at the GitHub Repository here.

Mar 09, 2017, 03:56 PM
Looks very realistic. Somehow i dont think ill be able to get this to work with my Realflight 7 TX or DX6 :-(
Mar 10, 2017, 06:01 AM
BSOD mid-flight ?
Mar 10, 2017, 03:46 PM
lol maybe but there's no drone repair bills :-)
Mar 23, 2017, 02:15 PM
QuadRotorMOTOboater
This is pretty awesome. When do I upgrade my hardware to run 60fps? Yesterday. Lol. My laptop won't be able to run this. It looks clean though.

They should manufacture software to run on gaming platforms. Anyone say XBOX ONE Fpv sim? Niiice