Oct 09, 2004, 09:47 PM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-

Made one!

I have been messing around with the idea for some time..
I'm not quite finshed with it yet just proto-typing, but here is a video of a powered test flight. I will post more when I get it done.
Thanks for the great rendring and idea jskrebs I love it, and it seems to have the promise of flight! Hopefully we can come up with a good flying version togeather.
Mark
Here is the video test glide link
http://rcgroups.com/gallery/showphot...cat=500&page=1
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2004, 09:57 PM
Strange Plane Central
Simplify the controls with elevons
Oct 09, 2004, 10:00 PM
Evil Plane Doer
Others that have tried the design claim yaw control is necessary.
Oct 09, 2004, 10:01 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
I'm afraid you have no choice in the matter, this MUST be made As for the vortex effect, I was just at BEST today and watched Snoopy fly his dog house all over the field. Basically the Snoopy "plane" is completely enclosed by a doghouse shell, very similar to your basic approach except there was a top and bottom too. It flew quite nicely. It wouldn't roll, but looped great and looked awesome! I think it was elevon control. I'll post a pic after I get them downloaded.
Oct 09, 2004, 10:03 PM
Evil Plane Doer
Quote:
How would this thing fly on the CDRom I've got?
Not well. Yours is for a 9" prop thus 20 turns. THis one requires a 4.7" prop and around 10 turns.

Quote:
More seriously, are the wings just going to be flat plate? They look as if they are going to have a really thick LE but you could probably do a nice thick aerofoil without spoiling the scale look, and it would give you space to hide the battery and electronics without cluttering the duct.
That's the general directon I am working on.
Oct 09, 2004, 10:04 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Here's a pic of the same Snoopy plane at DEAF. I've got some more pics of it from today, but I think they're all farther away (in-flight pics). If this thing can fly, surely your Tie can
Oct 09, 2004, 10:31 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Ahh well maybe I'll have to buy a 10 turn version off you.
Oct 09, 2004, 10:44 PM
Strange Plane Central
Flatplate airfoils benefit from a faster prop speed. What prop, gear ratio and volts are you using on the testbed?
Oct 10, 2004, 08:17 AM
Evil Plane Doer
Here is another front view.

Notice the CDR motor. It is direct drive and will spin in the 10K range with a Graupner 4.7" CAM prop. Should sound neat.

The center fuselage could provide a nice fat airfoil if I adhere to a more or less stock look. Going to fab up a bluecor flat plate version to day and see where that takes us.
Oct 10, 2004, 01:09 PM
Looks rockin.. I wonder how hard it would be to modify to include the tie ship with the pointy "wings?"
Oct 10, 2004, 01:11 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Very cool Jeff! As close as the motor is to the control surfaces it should be very responsive.

It's almost like a ducted fan! I hope the testing goes well on it, I want one!
Oct 10, 2004, 01:15 PM
I'm with Tres..
Oct 10, 2004, 01:35 PM
Evil Plane Doer
Quote:
pointy "wings?"
Not hard at all, But let me get the concept flying first
Oct 10, 2004, 02:20 PM
Evil Plane Doer
Bluecore proof of concept is comming along pretty well. I just ordered some Depron to play with as well. Pictures later.

Built up Balsa wings/solar panels ready for the Laser cutter.

Anybody ever do a weight comparison between built up and Depron Airframes?

Also built up a CDR motor for it pulls 5.5 amps on a 340 Kokam 3S lots of wind.
Oct 10, 2004, 03:15 PM
Evil Plane Doer
So Far 3.2 OZ
Oct 10, 2004, 05:00 PM
Looking good!!
Oct 10, 2004, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskrebs
So Far 3.2 OZ
Hi,
This is really cool.
Is that a folding prop? wont it get caught on something?
Actually, what I really wanted to ask you was what you clean your fanfold with, it looks so pristene clean, no black ink at all.
I have some of that dry eraser cleaner, seems to do ok, but not as clean as yours.
Thanks,
Dave
Oct 10, 2004, 06:45 PM
Evil Plane Doer
AUW RTF is 6- 1/4 Oz. With thiner Depron or built up Balsa I think I could get it much lighter, plus I need to add some more stuff to get the scale look. As pictured it has the minimum parts to fly, I hope.

Has enough power to hover, but I have not the skill to do it in my living room,plus the prototpe does not have yaw control,, a simple addition when I get o it.
Excuse the tape it is holding the wing square while te gorlla glue dries

Anyone care to venture a guess where I should set the CG ? Currently it is set nose heavy at the geometric center of the airframe.
Oct 10, 2004, 06:58 PM
Strange Plane Central
Start with the CG about 1/3 from the leading edge.
Oct 10, 2004, 07:32 PM
Evil Plane Doer
Uh, Ink is there, just a lucky series of shots.

Prop is 4.7: spinning inside a 5" sphere

Quote:
Start with the CG about 1/3 from the leading edge.
What qualifies as the leading edge?