Grumpy old men at flying clubs - RC Groups
Mar 06, 2017, 11:03 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Discussion

Grumpy old men at flying clubs

It seems many clubs are the same. Very few guys under the age of 60. Leery of strangers or newcomers and animosity towards anything new. We have several club members that hate drones/multi rotors with a passion and when a member flies one, the grumbling begins. No wonder we have a hard time attracting youth to our hobby. Personally I fly hotliner/F5B type planes and there's plenty of complaints about what and how I fly.. It's pretty sad as I believe if a young person were to see one of my planes go from 0-180mph in three seconds, straight up.... they might think it was "cool" and want to get involved . Nope, to "fit in" I'd need a .40 sized glow plane and fly circles for 8-10min, get my rags out and clean off the glow fuel while complaining about a wheel collet that fell off after I land
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2017, 11:12 PM
Yeah, nobody could EVER accuse YOU of being grumpy about anything, tic! Especially none of those snot nosed Zagi radicals with their baseball caps on backwards, jeans halfway down their butts, and razor blade wings...

Andy
Mar 06, 2017, 11:32 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
The zagi (and the people who flew them) did more damage to the hobby than any other plane (or pilot).. I want to make the hobby great again. Get rid of the riffraff, extreme vetting if we have to. Bring back REAL airplanes and real pilots. When we clean up the hobby we'll get more people involved. Baggy pants, baseball cap on backwards gansta rap guys flying zagis is what drove people out. And now we have Spektrum radios that talk. This confuses and frightens people and they are afraid to get involved. A good old fashioned airtronics radio (2.4Ghz of course) will bring life back to our wonderful hobby
Mar 06, 2017, 11:57 PM
Grab some friends, get them into the hobby, and go fly together in a field somewhere. Problem solved.

Looked up the zagi. What's wrong with it?
Mar 07, 2017, 12:04 AM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
The pusher prop on it is obnoxious and LOUD. It's not a real "plane" Chuck Yeager despised the Northrup flying wing and after a test flight when it caught fire on the runway, as ground crews went to put out the fire, Yeager stopped them and told them to "let it burn". Hooligans flew the zagi and gave the hobby a bad name. LA street gangs installed razor blades in the leading edges of the "wing" and instead of mugging people in the streets, they would strafe them with their razor blade zagi and leave them bleeding in the alley after they stole their wallets.
Mar 07, 2017, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Bring back REAL airplanes and real pilots.
I don't know how it is in the US, but over here there are plenty of clubs with real aeroplanes and real pilots. Just flying RC is a lot less hassle and a lot cheaper, though.
Mar 07, 2017, 12:23 AM
In other words, tic is saying Zagi pilots are worse than drone movement suggesters. (Piloting requires skill. Drones have flight controllers to replace pilots, hence the term 'movement suggesters'.)

Andy
Mar 07, 2017, 12:59 AM
I think a lot of those olf farts populate not only the clubs, but this forum... Ha ha.. I've been noticing it more and more.

I fly 1100mm warbird foamies and mini multirotors and..., well, whatever I want.

I guess it's unavoidable that clubs are clique-y. I visited one once and found it kind of icky... And ludicrously expensive(they wanted €225 for the first year, plus a bunch of working hours..) So I'm just a park flier and like it that way. Despite having nowhere to land on wheels, etc..
Mar 07, 2017, 02:16 AM
Kimbers Keeper.
We have one member that thinks everyone should fly 100" plus gas planes, only.

Several don't care for foam, of any kind. But we all fly and get along.

One field near by only allows war birds. and no foam.
Mar 07, 2017, 04:12 AM
I don't think tic mentioned his age. So I'm not sure if he's owning up to being one of the grumpy old men...or just demonstrating that you don't have to be old to be grumpy .

But whatever, I agree with everything anyone has said even when they disagree. Grumpy, me ? Only when I'm awake.

Steve
Mar 07, 2017, 04:20 AM
At my club, the old grumpy blokes mow the lawns, stock the fridge, clean up, buid benches, toilets, clubhouses, install charging sheds. Not enough time left to complain
Mar 07, 2017, 04:29 AM
I suspect that you will find grumpy old men at a lot of places, not just flying clubs. I suspect that grumpiness is a result of age/experiences, not hobbies.
My father once remarked that his memory of my older brother, as a child growing up, was that of a happy boy always smiling. I was taken aback by that as my older brother is extremely serious/grumpy. I looked back at some older photos of him, and my dad was right; he used to not be that way..

My wife claims that I am grumpy and mean, but that's not how people who have known me much longer remember me. So, for some it comes with age. It would be nice to avoid that change but I don't know how one does that, if I did I would not be grumpy.

A related take on this observation is that there are fewer young entrants into our hobby, and therefore the average age is increasing every year. It's difficult to stop that trend with all of the competition for kid's time/attention; just try to take away one of their smart phones/video games! I don't think this is going to change any time soon. So maybe we need "anti-grumpiness awareness seminars" for RC fliers!

Regards
Mar 07, 2017, 05:30 AM
Do you really think fewer young people are coming into RC? I doubt that. RC is more affordable - and easier to get into - than ever.. I don't think that many young people were into RC 30 years ago. My dad was, and I definitely didn't know anybody my age into it. I actually think building plastic models with him is what made me a plane nut more than RC. Maybe the odd teenager flying control line back then. .. Due to the costs and knowhow involved, it was always mostly an old farts' hobby. Til recently anyway now that everything is cheaper and easier.

Maybe what's declining is club membership, but that is an ever smaller part of the hobby... Practically a niche when you count MR's.. Or the popularity of cars.
Mar 07, 2017, 05:51 AM
I agree on the grumpy old men. Many of them builds on a plane for years, but never dares to fly, so they are envious on those who goes out, does some reckless flying, takes the pile home and is back the weekend after.

What attract young people to RC is action flying. And it is drones. But foam planes and flying wings also attracts. There is something special about a wing. And the FC helps people fly, so it is easier for the impatient to enter the sport.

But people are not flying in the club. They look out the window, see good weather, announces some flying on FB, and off they go. The lose local gathering of quad pilots has decided to make an official club to get cheap access to indoor trainign space in the winter. Many will still be flying their usual flying in the summer. Whereever they like.

Clubs are dying, that is RC clubs, football clubs etc. There are so much other entertainment.
Mar 07, 2017, 06:16 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
And one day, all those who moan about grumpy old men will in time, find themselves to be grumpy old men.

Hopefully the young (under 60 ) current risk takers, will live long enough for it to happen to them.

They will then criticize the eager young for taking foolish risks, - forgetting they did the same when they were young.

They will complain about noise, - forgetting that when they started flying, most glows and diesels didn't have mufflers/silencers.

With age comes grumpiness.

You will be assimilated

Ray.

P.S. I'm 73 and a true grumpy.