Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Spektrum Focal V2 FPV Wireless Head Tracking How-To

Here are step-by-step instructions on how to setup wireless head tracking, complete with an instructional video, for the Fatshark Focal V2 diversity FPV goggles.

Splash

How to get your wireless head tracking going with the Focal V2.

One of the cool features of the Focal V2 FPV goggles is the wireless head tracking feature. Less wires equals more fun in my book. I have a pan and tilt FPV plane on the work bench and I wanted to get the Focal goggles working with it. I did find the procedure a little tricky so after I got everything working I shot a video explaining the process.

In this article I'm going to include full instructions on how to get the wireless head tracking setup, as well as a video showing the procedure. I hope this makes things easier for any users out there that are trying to get this going on their FPV rigs.

Wireless Head Tracking

The Trainer FPV function found in Spektrum AirWare radios with wireless trainer, enables you to control FPV head-tracking in either wireless or wired mode. I used the DX6e with my application.

The default channel assignments are:

• CH17 Frequency
  • CH18 Pan
  • CH19 Tilt

TIP: All wireless buddy box equipped Spektrum transmitters can function with up to 20 channel input for this functionality in the FPV trainer mode.

You may assign incoming head-tracker channels to any available output channel in the transmitter.

Instructions:

1. Select Wireless Trainer from the Trainer menu.
  2. Change the trainer mode from Inhibit to FPV.
  3. Select the switch you wish to use for the head tracker, then select NEXT.
  4. Select the Output Channel where the head tracker servo is connected.
  5. Change Mode: Master to Mode: Slave.
  6. Select Input Channel.
  7. Select bind and press the scroll wheel to put the Transmitter into bind mode.
  8. Power on the headset and it will attempt to bind to the wireless buddy box function in the transmitter. The Transmitter should report DSMX 11ms after a successful bind.
  9. Test the head tracker movement.Move the head tracker switch to the On position, then move your head. The camera should move accordingly.
  10. Adjust the Scale value to change the amount of camera movement. If the camera moves in the wrong direction, change the Direction option from Normal to Reverse.

Video Walk Through

Here is a video showing the actual steps for more clarification:

Focal V2 Fatshark Wireless Head Tracking - How To (6 min 53 sec)

Conclusion

Hopefully this will walk you through the steps of getting your Focal V2 goggles talking wirelessly to your pan-and-tilt camera. I think this feature really makes the V2 Fatshark unit from Spektrum pretty handy.

Mar 08, 2017, 05:10 PM
Team Spektrum FPV
Love it Jim! I can't get enough of wireless head tracking....
FPV Red Bull Edge Wireless Head Tracking aerobatics and perfect landing (3 min 30 sec)
Mar 18, 2017, 11:26 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
I love the wireless head tracking. I did something similar a few months back with my old Attitudes.

Wireless Head Tracking with FatShark Attitude Goggles (2 min 23 sec)

I have since gotten a Focal V2 and am more interested in the wireless frequency setting. Unless I missed something the video below didn't really explain anything.

Focal FPV Headset - Wireless Channel Selection (2 min 36 sec)

Thanks!

Ricky
Mar 21, 2017, 08:49 AM
Team Spektrum FPV
the frequency control system is something that hasn't been widely implemented, but its available in the SPMVA2500 and SPMVA2510. with those cameras, you can just plug into the frequency control channel from the wireless control (ch 17 input) and assign it to an output channel of your choice where you plug the camera in. Band control wasn't part of it, so the headset and camera have to be manually set to the same band, but once on the same band you can control tx frequency by changing the headset channel. Use the headset first to find an open channel, and then power up and it will go right to that channel.
Last edited by aaronredbaron; Mar 24, 2017 at 08:42 AM.
Mar 22, 2017, 05:38 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron View Post
the frequency control system is something that didn't really catch on, ... Use the headset first to find an open channel, and then power up and it will go right to that channel.
I wish this would catch on! especially in the BNF's like the inductrix.

Thank you for the info.

Ricky