Radio Gear Issue - Page 2 - RC Groups
Mar 06, 2017, 06:38 PM
Your life is going to be so much easier and, in the long run, cheaper, if you upgrade all your electronics. I'd vote for a FlySky radio from Dragon Sailing, or a Hobby King Orange. Radio and battery technology has evolved exponentially, and even in just the last 10 years. Otherwise you'll just be banging your head against the wall in frustration, and unable to enjoy sailing your boat.

There's no inherent value to sailing your vintage boat with vintage electronics. Even old wooden Marbleheads that are sailed regularly nowadays have up-to-date radio equipment.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2017, 06:43 PM
The wind is free, go sailing!
ServoCity servo stretcher is $20, but you are still left with an old transmitter and receiver.
For another $35 you can get a 2.4Ghz transmitter & receiver with all the bells and whistles, including telemetry.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-106-fs-i6-6ch-remote.html
Mar 06, 2017, 08:00 PM
Yeah, that FS-i6 is really compelling. Please keep in mind that the wires for futaba, HK, and aerotronics can be very different for signal and power and you might need to move stuff around with a new reciever.
Mar 07, 2017, 12:21 PM

Just For Fun

Thanks for all the suggestions. So many options that all make sense. I'm leaning toward experimenting the resistors or pots idea but I wonder if anyone has a Taranis .eepe that they are using with a similar boat. I have a Soling to build that I will certainly update.

This is just a fun boat to bang around the lake with no regard for performance. It's equipped for FPV and night sailing as well with LED strips on three sides of the mast. Great fun for kids and guests.

S & S FPV and Night Sailing (3 min 49 sec)
Last edited by Backyard; Mar 07, 2017 at 12:28 PM.
Mar 11, 2017, 04:01 PM
The Taranas isn't a cheap radio... When you can get some pretty awesome radios, and for well under $100. The Taranas is very focused on quad and multicopters. No reason why it wouldn't work though.
Mar 11, 2017, 04:40 PM
Rusty
The Taranis Q7 is around $100...
Mar 16, 2017, 10:56 AM
Instead of messing around with adding resistors to the HS-815BB sail winch servo to achieve 180 degree rotation I decided to simply change the radio gear. I have both Hitec and FrSky radios and chose to use my old Hitec Tx and a spare Rx. I adjusted the left stick (throttle channel) end points to 125% the maximum for this transmitter. The servo now rotates only about 140 degrees.

I realize there are ways to solve the lack of rotation by rigging the sheets through a turning block and a servo stretcher might also work but I wonder if there is a simpler solution that someone here could explain?
Mar 16, 2017, 01:28 PM
Hey Backyard

Seems like your post above has resolved MOST of your problems - now that you have 140 degree rotation ... maybe the following described below might help - just a suggestion. NOTE: Not sure if you are sailing just for fun vs racing a specific class - where rules might apply.

Understand you are looking for MORE options to get a little more LENGTH out of your sheet lines ... to allow sails to extend further OUT (vs close halled - sheet lines pulled in)

Might consider a "Sliding Traveler" on the respective sail booms ... vs ... fixed point. This would take some minor modifications that are simple n cheap ... to allow sails to open more

If I think I understand what you are looking for ... the above might help ... just a suggestion

UPDATE 3-16-17 afternoon
Wasn't sure if you knew what a sliding traveler was ... I will try to describe what is needed to make this modification (would be same for each respective sail boom)

Instead of a FIXED POINT on sail boom (where sheet line attaches) - you disconnect sheet line ... then ADD a length of rigid rigging wire down length of sail boom - connected at other end with same screw eye (or equivalent) as used to attach fixed point sheet line connection.

The length of rigid rigging wire allows sheet line to SLIDE as the sails open out - giving an effectively longer sheet line (where others wise would be fixed / too short due to other limitations)

When sheet line is pulled in (sail close halled) ... the sheet line swivel then SLIDES along rigid rigging wire - back to original fixed point.

Depending how much more ADDED SHEET LINE LEGNGTH you want - to allow sails to open out - will detemine length of rigid wire you use to create the SLIDING TRAVELER

Hope this helps
Last edited by slo.ca6; Mar 16, 2017 at 06:14 PM.
Mar 16, 2017, 06:26 PM
slo.ca6 GENIUS! I am a full size sailor as well and for the life of me I couldn't see a deck mounted traveler would be implemented. Thanks for the help. If anyone has photos to post it would be super clear. Thanks again.
Mar 16, 2017, 07:38 PM
Backyard

Quickest way to figure this out ...
Disconnect current fixed sheet line at sail boom connection

Open sail winch FULL OPEN - sheet lines full out

Then hold END of sheet line (you just disconnected) next to sail boom at DESIRED POSITION (how far you want sail to open)

This will determine / define length of rigid rigging wire you need to ADD N ATTACH to sail boom ...

Then attach sheet swivel to NEW SLIDING TRAVELER - created by the new rigid wire attached to n parallel to sail boom.

Wish I had a photo - but - all my stuff is packed in storwage

Hope this TEXT ABOVE helps
Mar 17, 2017, 09:56 AM
Thanks slo.ca6. I'll have some play time this weekend.
Have a green beer day!
Mar 24, 2017, 06:13 PM
Hoping someone can help i have a Futaba T4GRS for my IOM , when I plug in the winch I'm getting chatter from the sailwinch when I use the rudder . Any ideas why this is happening?
Mar 24, 2017, 07:23 PM
Tormentor:

Your radio has really advanced mixing like gyro and abs and you are likely in a mode where something inappropriate is turned on.

You need two standard servos. If known good standard servos work as expected then you might have a problem with the sailwinch like improper wiring, voltage drop or simple failure.
Mar 24, 2017, 07:40 PM
Thx PW I wil try the servo , can't seem to find anything out of place with radio paramiters
Mar 24, 2017, 08:36 PM
Pwallace ,,,,, Wouldnot have thought the steering servo would of caused that chatter. Changed it out and Bobs your Uncle!! Thx Pwallace you tought me something today
Last edited by Tormenter; Mar 25, 2017 at 04:10 AM.