Feb 26, 2019, 11:02 AM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
That really sucks. We feel your pain for sure.

I know the Arduplane version of FC's have a terrain mapping option to avoid this issue but I've read of very few pilots who have actually used it. It's usually one of those things where you don't think there will be a problem until there is and then it's too late. We've all been there.

Watched a video one time of a guy's plane doing an RTH in the mountains because of control link failure crash into the top of a cedar tree on the only hilltop between him and the plane. He managed to hike up and get it because he wasn't too far away and his video link was still working. Sadly though given the area and conditions in which you lost video it's more likely your Crosswind is going to become a permanent resident of the mountain.

That said, most of us who fly anything but simple LOS have lost and sometimes found our planes again so we sure hope you get lucky with this one. That's probably the only good thing about white foam is it contrasts well against brown or green ground when viewed from overhead. Stood in front of a big screen reviewing overhead HD video from my Phantoms more than a few times in a search effort.

May your thaw be quick and your search fruitful. Best of luck.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2019, 05:45 AM
Thread OP
Haha, thanks Xion, much appreciated! Not really worried or thinking about it... just planning what to equip to send up there just for the heck of it! If I find it, good... if I don't... doesn't really matter! I do have my doubts if it is still up there though... I guess at some point we will know! As for the terrain following thing... it does require extra steps... to get that data on the SD card... it would be so much easier for everyone if there was a "go into a tight circle and gain altitude" mode, for just such occasions... now that would be a lot more useful than terrain following, which without a lidar doesn't really work all that well in such terrain with sudden height changes!
Feb 28, 2019, 08:07 AM
AutoPilot .
I think those big plane could benefit from a cheap and small standalone GPG tracker.
Mar 02, 2019, 03:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulpina
i think those big plane could benefit from a cheap and small standalone gpg tracker.
gpg?
Mar 02, 2019, 07:43 AM
AutoPilot .
Gps
Mar 02, 2019, 10:54 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulpina
Gps
Right! I have a few ideas in that department! :P
Mar 02, 2019, 10:55 AM
Thread OP
Video was moved to the next post!
Last edited by Arxangel; Apr 10, 2019 at 03:49 PM.
Apr 10, 2019, 03:48 PM
Thread OP

UPDATE 7 - new motors, larger props, retractable video antenna mount

Well, the Clouds was LONG overdue for an update, so here it is! Quite a few things have changed on it recently, all with the goal of making it a better plane! First off, I was tired of looking at the absurdly long Vtx boom on top of the plane, so I decided to come up with a retractable antenna system, and mount the antenna on the bottom, ensuring nothing will ever block its view of the ground. To that end, I picked a spot on the plane, inside the parachute bay, printed out a servo holder, dug up a spare servo, and even decided to finally add a video switch again, so I can also see the video feed from the gimbal, which should help with the search and rescue missions for the MFD Crosswind, by allowing me to see where I am pointing the stabilized camera.

A quick print of an L shaped bracket to mount to the servo horn, and this little setup was almost complete.

Next, I cut an opening in the foam, in the shape of the servo holder.

And then glued everything in place.

Turned out pretty good actually... and works well too! I did program the servo on a delay, so it would drop down and retract slowly!

And... as you would expect... on the first flight I was so excited what an awesome flight I'd done... and also ran out of battery... so had to come back gliding against the wind from beyond 5kms away... thankfully I had enough altitude for that... so the last though in my head was to retract the antenna! Luckily, the servo horn was all that broke, everything else was undamaged! Replaced it, and it was ready for action in no time!

See, things look so much better with only the receiver sticking out on top of the plane.

Since I've had a video switch before, all the wiring was already there, so it was just a matter of connecting everything up, and figuring out which channel on the radio controlled that thing!

And last, but certainly not least as it is the biggest of the changes, are the new motors! Well... new to the Clouds, otherwise they came from my MFD Nimbus plane, since I am not really flying it anymore! The idea was to use larger props with a higher pitch, and see if that makes the plane more efficient in flight... still haven't had the time to do a proper endurance run, hopefully soon!

Used some 12x10 APC props that I had lying around! Ideally I want to try 12x12, but will have to buy some... and they are not too popular around these parts!

So... that about wraps this update up, below are the videos of what I've been doing with the plane following the mods, I hope you enjoy, because the Clouds is one of the best FPV platforms out there, at least in my experience, and I absolutely LOVE it!!!!!

Long range proximity flying atop the Mountain (FrSky R9 and AKK X2 Ultimate Vtx) (3 min 25 sec)

Well... you guessed it... even more cloud chasing! (6 min 51 sec)
Apr 11, 2019, 11:41 AM
I'd be very interested in how much power your Clouds pulls at takeoff with the new motors and props.

My KDE 2814-XF-515 motors each pull 29 to 30 Amps peak (at 6S) when held at takeoff at full throttle with 12 x 6 props. The peak draw is for a very short duration. I'm interested in trying a higher pitch, but worried it may draw too much current for the ESCs and motors. I'm already at (or just beyond) the 10 second peak current rating for my motors (for about 800 milliseconds).
Apr 11, 2019, 12:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRonald
I'd be very interested in how much power your Clouds pulls at takeoff with the new motors and props.

My KDE 2814-XF-515 motors each pull 29 to 30 Amps peak (at 6S) when held at takeoff at full throttle with 12 x 6 props. The peak draw is for a very short duration. I'm interested in trying a higher pitch, but worried it may draw too much current for the ESCs and motors. I'm already at (or just beyond) the 10 second peak current rating for my motors (for about 800 milliseconds).
Sadly my current sensor on the Clouds isn't working... hasn't been from the get go... but soon I might have enough of it and just drop in a whole Omni F4 Pro with ArduPlane, and will be able to tell for sure what the draw is!
Jun 26, 2019, 07:20 AM
Hi Arxangel. How the retractable VTX antenna on belly works after few months? Is it worth bothering?

In Arduplane You can connect it to FC as gear, so FC will auto deploy it after take off, and hide before landing procedure.
Jun 26, 2019, 11:32 AM
If it Flies I Want It!!!! ...

Endurance

Hi all ,

Sorry to ask a question thats probably be hammered to death. I have finally got around to building my Clouds ..

So whats proven to be the best Setup for endurance .. 6s or 4s .. and what are those setups ..

Appreciate all the effort people have put in to find this info .

Nearly finished modifying mine for retracts. Just need to fit the Gear Doors ( dont have the finished gear pics on the IPad so sorry for the older ones and it wont allow me to upload a video ... not sure why ) ...So the next step is the power plants.

Thank you in advance .

Brgds
Michael
Jun 26, 2019, 01:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by karambolis
Hi Arxangel. How the retractable VTX antenna on belly works after few months? Is it worth bothering?

In Arduplane You can connect it to FC as gear, so FC will auto deploy it after take off, and hide before landing procedure.
Yup, worth it for sure... as for automating this... no idea... haven't really looked into it... it might be possible to do it... but at this point I fly it rarely... so haven't felt the need to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citation560v
Hi all ,

Sorry to ask a question thats probably be hammered to death. I have finally got around to building my Clouds ..

So whats proven to be the best Setup for endurance .. 6s or 4s .. and what are those setups ..

Nearly finished modifying mine for retracts. Just need to fit the Gear Doors ( dont have the finished gear pics on the IPad so sorry for the older ones and it wont allow me to upload a video ... not sure why ) ...So the next step is the power plants.

Thank you in advance .

Brgds
Michael
Oh, those look SWEET! Awesome!

As for a setup... I am always two hands up for 6S, and recently have put some 510Kv motors along with 12x10 props on the plane and am pretty happy with its thrust and endurance! Can't say much about 4S though... but I generally try to avoid it on larger craft!
Jun 26, 2019, 05:31 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
Quote:
Originally Posted by citation560v
Hi all ,

Thank you in advance .

Brgds
Michael
Seriously nice work on the gear. What's the blue giant scale plane behind it with the 5-blade prop and turbine exhaust? If you have a link to video or info about it I'd love to see more of that one.
Jun 27, 2019, 12:11 AM
If it Flies I Want It!!!! ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel

As for a setup... I am always two hands up for 6S, and recently have put some 510Kv motors along with 12x10 props on the plane and am pretty happy with its thrust and endurance! Can't say much about 4S though... but I generally try to avoid it on larger craft!
Cheers for getting back to us .. I saw your pics your motors seem to be mytwindream 2814-510kv .. Ive tried searching for them. Niall luck .. all 2814-510kv motors i have found are rated only up to 4s ( LD Power , Cobra ) .. The other motors i can find 6s wont turn a 12x10 ( or 12 x 12 as you would like ). So Iím really failing on the google search .. What am i missing ? Can you post a link to a source i can order from ?

Sorry to be a pain

Quick Reply