Vector 5 flight modes on Taranis Plus rotary Switch - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Mar 04, 2017, 10:14 PM
BIGEMANN1
Discussion

Vector 5 flight modes on Taranis Plus rotary Switch


Has anyone successfully been able to achieve 5 Vector Flight Modes on the Taranis Plus ^ position rotary switch . If so could you explain it was accomplished please .?I'm stumped !
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2017, 01:45 PM
because rust never sleeps....
HugoRogers's Avatar
There is an aftermarket 6 position switch which you can use to replace one of the pots (S1/S2)

This works pretty well.

See this for APM/PixHawk, same principle.
(13/13) FrSky TARANIS Radio – Adding a 6 position switch (S3) and setup for APM/PixHawk (17 min 48 sec)
Mar 06, 2017, 03:02 PM
BIGEMANN1
Thanks HugoRogers ! I have the 6 position rotary switch on my Taranis X9D Plus on S3.
I have 5 flight modes setup , but in the vector pc software I get the row for 5 modes , but not a row for submodes .
Mar 07, 2017, 03:48 AM
because rust never sleeps....
HugoRogers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGEMANN
Thanks HugoRogers ! I have the 6 position rotary switch on my Taranis X9D Plus on S3.
I have 5 flight modes setup , but in the vector pc software I get the row for 5 modes , but not a row for submodes .
I dont recognise what you are saying. Dont the modes and submodes appear as columns (rather than rows?)
Can you post some screen shots, and show what do you have each of your 5 modes set to.

For info, it is not recommended anyway to use the rotary switch for modes, use it for submodes, and use a 2 or 3 position switch for modes. The reason is simply that it is hard for the software to recognise a toggle gesture on the rotary switch.
Mar 07, 2017, 11:11 AM
BIGEMANN1
I really appreciate you responding to me HugoRogers . I was told by someone from the vector support staff through email that without a submode switch setup the vector pc configuration software will not display the column for submodes .
I have RTL mapped as position 5 , but I'm using a 6 position curve on S3 . I noticed that as I changed the rotary switch positions from 1 to 4 the modes would change correctly , and show the "presently Selected Mode" above the column of modes , but when I selected the 5th position (RTH) the "Presently Selected Mode" above the modes column would indicate "2d No Hold" like position 1 . The vector support staff informed that unless I have a "GPS" lock the "RTH" would not activate . I assume they mean that even though the position of the rotary switch is set to "RTH" the pc software will not show that position as selected , although I can see in red letters in the software that it says "In Failsafe Mode : Yes" . Can you tell me if your switch positions are all displayed , particularly "RTL". I'm setting mine up inside . I not tried to get a GPS lock outside or inside , because I have just completed building this quad copter. This is also my first one , and I'm just beginning to learn and attempt setting up the flight controller.
Here is a screen shot of my software screen . The red arrows point to the things I'm talking about . Hope this isn't to long a post but I'm trying to explain it to you as good as I can !
Mar 07, 2017, 11:39 AM
because rust never sleeps....
HugoRogers's Avatar
So first of all, as you do not have a submode selection (2D + Submode) I am not surprised you dont have the submode switch positions displayed.

I do not use the 5 position switch for mode selection (as I said previously) because it is hard to induce a toggle gesture. So you will see from my attached image my mode switch has three positions. It is a three position switch.

However the first of these is 2D + Submode. This allows you to select from your submode menu. For this I use my 5 position rotary switch, tweaked with a curve on the Taranis.

So, try adding 2D + Submode if you want to be able to select Submodes - you also need a channel assigning for submode selection.


Your other point about failsafe and 2D No Hold. Somewhere in the application settings there is an option where you set the mode which the FC reverts to when Failsafe is not possible, and the default is 2D No Hold, which is sensible and I see no reason for changing it.
Mar 07, 2017, 05:07 PM
BIGEMANN1
Thank you so much HugoRogers . I going to set mine up like yours . You say that I need to assign a channel for submode selection . I'm presently using the AUX Channel for gain . Is there a way I might be able to mix a 3 position switch , say switch SA and the 6 position rotary switch on S3 together .
Mar 08, 2017, 02:48 AM
because rust never sleeps....
HugoRogers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGEMANN
Thank you so much HugoRogers . I going to set mine up like yours . You say that I need to assign a channel for submode selection . I'm presently using the AUX Channel for gain . Is there a way I might be able to mix a 3 position switch , say switch SA and the 6 position rotary switch on S3 together .
Possibly, but I prefer to put modes I might want to access quickly on the 3 position switch anyway. Sometimes the rotary switch is cumbersome, and I have even knocked other switches near it when rotating. I prefer not to have all my eggs in the same basket.

I simply have separate channels for mode and submode,
Mar 08, 2017, 08:21 PM
BIGEMANN1
I'm using the Frsky L9R RX with a Frsky CPPM/SBUS Decoder for a total of 13 channels . 9 channels on the RX and another 4 channels on the CPPM/SBUS Decoder . I'm using the traditional RX setup for the Vector not SBUS , but the Vector RX cable only has 1 aux channel in this configuration . I'm not sure if I could access all 13 RX channels if I configure it for SBUS . It's a 650mm quad frame . My booms were 250mm but I increase the to 300mm each . I'm using 2 cameras , one on a 2 axis gimbal (a Mobius) , and one mounted to the frame (a 750 TVL Sony ) . I'm using 17.5 inch carbon fiber props , with 4 Turnigy 4225-390Kv 16 Pole multi-rotor outrunners . A 3 way video switcher . I did a light mod . and the 4 led's are controlled by a RX controlled on/ off switch . I have done quite a bit of modification . I have not attempted to actually try to fly it , but I have attempted to spool it up enough to start lifting off the ground , but I notice it begins to tilt to one side . I f I increase the throttle slightly more it tilts to one side and backwards . I'm not sure if this is normal because I'm just not punching the throttle enough and I'm getting a lot of prop wash . I felt I would use the aux channel after I had it ready to fly to adjust gains . I'm assuming that they take of pretty much straight up , I'm judging this by others I have seen on youtube . Do you think it wise to disregard the rotary switch now and use the aux channel for gain until I get it tuned in if the tilting is not normal , then use the aux channel for the flight modes if a mix will not work for the SA 3 position switch and the S3 6 position rotary switch ?
I thought it might help if I gave you some more information on this build .
Last edited by BIGEMANN; Mar 08, 2017 at 11:03 PM. Reason: More information
Mar 09, 2017, 02:23 AM
because rust never sleeps....
HugoRogers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGEMANN
I'm using the Frsky L9R RX with a Frsky CPPM/SBUS Decoder for a total of 13 channels . 9 channels on the RX and another 4 channels on the CPPM/SBUS Decoder . I'm using the traditional RX setup for the Vector not SBUS , but the Vector RX cable only has 1 aux channel in this configuration . I'm not sure if I could access all 13 RX channels if I configure it for SBUS . It's a 650mm quad frame . My booms were 250mm but I increase the to 300mm each . I'm using 2 cameras , one on a 2 axis gimbal (a Mobius) , and one mounted to the frame (a 750 TVL Sony ) . I'm using 17.5 inch carbon fiber props , with 4 Turnigy 4225-390Kv 16 Pole multi-rotor outrunners . A 3 way video switcher . I did a light mod . and the 4 led's are controlled by a RX controlled on/ off switch . I have done quite a bit of modification . I have not attempted to actually try to fly it , but I have attempted to spool it up enough to start lifting off the ground , but I notice it begins to tilt to one side . I f I increase the throttle slightly more it tilts to one side and backwards . I'm not sure if this is normal because I'm just not punching the throttle enough and I'm getting a lot of prop wash . I felt I would use the aux channel after I had it ready to fly to adjust gains . I'm assuming that they take of pretty much straight up , I'm judging this by others I have seen on youtube . Do you think it wise to disregard the rotary switch now and use the aux channel for gain until I get it tuned in if the tilting is not normal , then use the aux channel for the flight modes if a mix will not work for the SA 3 position switch and the S3 6 position rotary switch ?
I thought it might help if I gave you some more information on this build .
Seems sensible to me to just set this up for one or three basic modes and make sure it flies OK. Then come back and add in the rotary switch for other modes once you are done with gain.
Mar 10, 2017, 09:27 AM
BIGEMANN1
I have set up the 3 basic flight modes on switch SA , and mapped the Roll gain to a Rotary Pot S1 . I read that once a gain is set the Flight Controller remembers each setting , so I'm starting with Roll . It's raining here now and we are expecting some snow Monday and Tuesday , so I don't believe I'll be able to get it outside to begin adjusting it until this weather front passes .
I very much appreciate your help and advice ! I'm a member of a RC Club "Prince Georges Remote Control Club" (PGRCC) , but we have no one flying or building multi rotors . Right now as far as I know I'm the only one , so no help there .
I hope I can let you know how this tuning is going when the weather gets better .
Your advice and assistance is really helpful , and greatly appreciated !


Thread Tools