Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 10, 2017, 06:57 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchythebear
Yes but look at the lovely colours!

I just checked it's half the price! 2.37 instead of 5.50. Oh well I know for next time
Yes its about the same price here mate ... look forward to seeing your build, are you going to be using 6mm Depron ?

I used the Hobby King 5mm foam sheet for the wings ... Its quite good for this (and SOME THINGS) and its very cheap .. I just checked and its available from your European Hobby King for 22.75 for 20 sheets AND the sheet sizes are 1000 x 700 and not as advertised (1000 x 500) ... https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aero-mod...0mm-white.html

Its really worth having a box at this price ... Its also available at the US depot too ... its a fraction of the price of Depron

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 10, 2017 at 07:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2017, 07:21 PM
About half the price of Depron over here. I guess it's less dense/more flexible?

Edit: I still find it remarkable that you can build a really nice looking plane, that flies for a few quid (not including all the electrical gubbins). Makes me wonder why I didn't do it sooner!
Last edited by scorchythebear; Mar 10, 2017 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Gubbins
Mar 11, 2017, 06:58 AM
Quote:
About half the price of Depron over here. I guess it's less dense/more flexible?

Edit: I still find it remarkable that you can build a really nice looking plane, that flies for a few quid (not including all the electrical gubbins). Makes me wonder why I didn't do it sooner!
Too right scorchy, I love to design and build ... trouble is I accumulate too many models

Yes the HK foam is a lot softer and spongier but it is good for some things ... bearing in mind, I have used it solely for .. my extra large 5' wing span stagger wing ... the swallow jet .. the mini and the maxi magic and wings on the taube .. I do prefer to use Depron for the formers as it is stiffer

Lockey
Mar 16, 2017, 08:42 AM
Finished plans for the larger Taube ... 1350 wing span and about 1m long ... in English thats ... 53" wing span and about 39" long

I think the same motor should power this one, I will be using Hobby King foam for the wings and maybe the fuselage ... Depron for the formers

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 16, 2017 at 09:10 AM.
Mar 19, 2017, 01:42 AM
Flew the Taube again today (sorry no video) although the warping ailerons work (in a fashion) they aren't too great so I intend to make them into normal ailerons

Lockey
Mar 19, 2017, 02:51 AM
Modified the Ailerons and hope to fly her later if its not too windy

Lockey
Mar 19, 2017, 04:45 AM
Took her out this afternoon, it was too windy really but she handled it OK .. better than me

I guess the wind was blowing about 24 kms hr and gusting to over 30 (thats about 14 mph and gusts to 18/20 mph)

I did fly her 3 times with some great landings and slow flying BUT forgot to turn on the camera ... yes I know David if I didn't video it didn't happen ... BUT IT DID .. anyway got back to the car before I realised so I took her up again for a very short flight and video

Lockey

Taube 2nd Flight (2 min 49 sec)
Mar 19, 2017, 07:08 AM
When cows fly!
Nice flight Lockey! I know how that goes Flew my quad and chopper last night just as the sun was going down. No video....so? Did I really fly?????
Mar 19, 2017, 09:22 AM
Retired CAD guy
That is definitely a Winner !

Great looking finish and better flying if the wind was as high as you say !!!
Mic noise pretty much proves that !

Congrats !
Mar 19, 2017, 12:21 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
Very nice. Great colors.

Mine didn't fly too well, nose heavy, one short flight, one broken prop, no damage to the plane,
do so tweaking, and try again.
Mar 19, 2017, 07:39 PM
Beautifully done! Looks really nice in the air. Bloody windy though, much braver than me.

Hopefully I'll get started on mine this week now the Mrs is feeling a bit more chipper!
Mar 19, 2017, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Beautifully done! Looks really nice in the air. Bloody windy though, much braver than me.

Hopefully I'll get started on mine this week now the Mrs is feeling a bit more chipper!
Thats good to hear mate, how would you like to do the bigger one will send plans FOC if you want to build and do a detailed build log

Lockey
Mar 19, 2017, 09:24 PM
I have decided to build the 1350 WS version ... printed and stuck together the plans .. note that I always use 101% .. this seems to be just right otherwise the plans are a bit on the small side .. 16 sheets of A4 paper per plan

Think I will build the whole thing with Hobby King foam sheet this time, this way it will cost me AUD $8 for 2 sheets to build the whole fuselage ($6.17 USD ... $5.72 EUR and about 5 English pounds)

By the way, disregard the advertised size of the HK sheets, they advertise that they are 1000mm x 500 mm but in actual fact they are 1000mm x 700 mm the same as Depron sheets

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 19, 2017 at 09:40 PM.
Mar 20, 2017, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Here am I already working on a 5mm DTFB (Ez-build) version for the guys who aren't keen on rolling

Lockey
Lockey,
Are the 5mm wider body plans available?

Thx,
Jason (jpot1)
Mar 20, 2017, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpot1
Lockey,
Are the 5mm wider body plans available?

Thx,
Jason (jpot1)
Hi Jason, I didn't get round to finishing them but shouldn't take long, will work on them and let you know as soon as they are done

Lockey

EDIT: OK the plans are now finished, just need to convert to PDF ,,, same wing just different fuselage ... BUT ... if you would rather, the rounded fuselage could still be used with Foamboard just make the slots a bit thinner and make all the formers about 1mm bigger all round
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 20, 2017 at 09:43 AM.