Sep 03, 2019, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona
Evening lads. Today marks the last day of me owning this beautiful plane due to an unexplained crash about 45seconds after take off of my third flight this evening. The cub was flying normally at about 4 - 5 mtrs above ground when suddenly it flipped inverted and dove straight into the ground. It broke my heart seeing it in pieces after getting used to grease the landings i suspect the stock esc overheated maybe because I didn't let it cool down between flights I don't know and funnily enough it is out of stock at hobbyking both the full aircraft and the fuselage.
Feel for you Markkona,
It's a real bummer when your nice tidy plane becomes scruffy in the blink of an eye
Mine has been through the mill as you'll have no doubt seen in earlier posts , but your's still looks pretty good and as bonanzaman say's , it will glue up well enough and fly just as well I'm sure
Looking on the bright side- the crash did neatly remove your canopy ready for my access mod
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2019, 07:33 AM
when is the wind stopping??
Thanks for the encouraging comments. I hope the fuselage will come back in stock someday and i will try to rebuild when the hot summer months are gone here. On further inspection i noticed that although the fuse has a nice opening at the front for air intake it does not have one for air release anywhere on the remainder of the fuselage so no wonder the esc overheated on the 3rd consecutive flight.
Sep 07, 2019, 03:43 PM
Since HK have the fuselage on backorder I am going to go a different route and try my old fingers at repairing this thing. Half of the cowl unfortunately is badly deformed I don't think I can bring it to it's former shape
Sep 08, 2019, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Since HK have the fuselage on backorder I am going to go a different route and try my old fingers at repairing this thing. Half of the cowl unfortunately is badly deformed I don't think I can bring it to it's former shape
Sometimes, dive the material for about fifteen minutes in the hot water, do miracles ...
Sep 08, 2019, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicentro
Sometimes, dive the material for about fifteen minutes in the hot water, do miracles ...
I did that with the foam parts that were bent after the crash does this apply for the cowl as well?
Sep 08, 2019, 03:38 AM
No, the cowl is plastic.
Sep 08, 2019, 03:40 AM
Quote:
I did that with the foam parts that were bent after the crash does this apply for the cowl as well?
Oh, I misunderstood, sorry. For the cowl, I don't think so
Sep 08, 2019, 02:54 PM
Can we see the cowl please?
Sep 08, 2019, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe
Can we see the cowl please?
Coming right up it's looking a bit better after a day working on it. I lost the faux engines in the crash I will prob seal them off flat later or buy a complete new cowl
Sep 08, 2019, 03:46 PM
The plane is 98% the Starmax cub. You can easily buy a replacement (in yellow) with the fake motors and just paint it green. You can take your old cowl to any deco center that mix paints and have it scanned & matched nearly perfect. Problem solved.
Sep 08, 2019, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultbg
The plane is 98% the Starmax cub. You can easily buy a replacement (in yellow) with the fake motors and just paint it green. You can take your old cowl to any deco center that mix paints and have it scanned & matched nearly perfect. Problem solved.
Tomorrow will see if i can source a spray can with matching colour and maybe even spray the whole fuselage good idea about the deco centre but I haven't seen one yet in Malta
Sep 08, 2019, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Tomorrow will see if i can source a spray can with matching colour and maybe even spray the whole fuselage good idea about the deco centre but I haven't seen one yet in Malta
Mark....I found this3D printed part over at Thingiverse

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2817022

I know it is for the smaller Cub... but I believe you can "size up" the files to suit.

There is also a 3D file there you might like to look at too..

Edit: There is also this one with a lot of spare parts that could be of use

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1272527.
Sep 08, 2019, 06:36 PM
This one might be better for the cowl and motors

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2741965
Sep 17, 2019, 03:06 PM
Well what do you know i finally got her almost ready and flew her today. The motor needs new bearings and the elevator needs some levelling to match the wings but i think we ll get her good as new in a few more days
Sep 17, 2019, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Well what do you know i finally got her almost ready and flew her today. The motor needs new bearings and the elevator needs some levelling to match the wings but i think we ll get her good as new in a few more days
Well done markkona,
it was worth all the effort in the end hey!
I bet you feel pleased with yourself now especially since she obviously flew well enough too.
Looking forward to some more action shots

Quick Reply