My Byron rebuild thread - RC Groups
Mar 01, 2017, 12:31 PM
Will build for food!!!
Discussion

My Byron rebuild thread

Hi guys, I had this thread started in the edf forum and have closed it there and started it over here in Large EDf Jets.

OK, I need all you jet guru's out there to chime in to my new rebuild project. I picked up a Byron F-18 just a couple of weeks ago and I'm stripping her down to the bare bones to re-do her up. The paint job on her was terrible with way to much paint sprayed on her and runs in it. The person used rattle can Rustolum and there were paint blisters starting all over it. Lucky most of the paint just peeled right off of her. Now I'm noticing that she has a rather thick layer of filler over the whole airframe. Know wonder she was a pig. I weighted her before starting the tear down. Without a fan, and any batteries, receiver, and only half the servos needed in her, she weighted in at 18lbs. 11 oz's.
Can you say "lead sled".
So my first question which I'm pretty sure I already know the answer. Did the kit ever come with gel coat or body filler already applied? I always thought they came bare glass in a greenish color.
Second question.
I'm going to make her EDF of course and plan on using a Dynamax Fan until with a Typhoon 800-73-590 on 14 cells. The thrust tube in the tail is the original one supplied by Byron. Should I take that one out and build my own as that was made for the Byro-fan which was 6" in diameter. Or should I leave it and make a adapter to fit between the Dynamax unit and the existing thrust tube? I'll add so photos later. I have about 80% of the old paint removed and will then start trying to get all the added filler off to decrease her weight.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2017, 12:39 PM
Will build for food!!!

Byron original retracts for sale.

So I have started the disassemble of the Hornet. I got a set of Skymaster retracts with the plane when purchased. I'm going to redo the retract mounts and use them so if anyone wants the original units to replace parts or your old none working ones. Please check out the classified adds.
Mar 01, 2017, 12:55 PM
Will build for food!!!

First wing

So the paint was blistering up all over the fuselage. So using a hobby knife I was easily able to peel the paint off in large pieces. The wings seem to need a little more work to get it off. Some peels off but what doesn't is going to be sanded off. Here's the photos of the started wing. I went and lined the existing flap servo bay with light balsa. I took out the torque tube set-up and will use the hole in the foam for the servo wire and cut out a new servo in wing bay.
Mar 01, 2017, 01:36 PM

byron glass

the stock fiberglass is green polyester resin with a smooth finish and molded in panel lines on the fuse.
Y ou can go to Lowes and pickup some " Citristrip' to take that paint down, and filler that was used is gonna take some sanding.
The servos bays you are doing are just like mine, except I put a piece of carbonfiber arrow shaft in where you took out the torque tube to beef out the wing a bit and then running the servo wire through it. But that should work just fine.
as for the tail pipe the stock Byron tailpipe is not going have much efflux (tailpipe speed). Pdawg on here built one using the stock tailpipe, and said that it flew okay but the performance was lacking speed. Others people have calculated tailpipe size for these and they vary from 58mm each side to 90mm.
The first one I built here is 65mm for a dynamax with 16lbs of thrust. I am remaking mine now for 20-22 lbs of thust and it will be 70mm which calculates out to be 85% of fan swept area.
Mar 01, 2017, 02:21 PM
Will build for food!!!
Thanks Rodger. That's a good idea about the carbon fiber tube. You could also have it extend about and inch out of the wing mounting side and insert a hardwood block inside the fuse for added wing support. And still run servo extension wire through it. I'm going to get ahold of Strictly Scale and get the scale parts ordered. I'm not looking to go all out scale, but the Byron needs some scale parts added as she is very bare bones.
Mar 01, 2017, 02:50 PM
Will build for food!!!
So you are using one of the TP motors that Par has started to use on his fan conversions? He told me he was trying to get a Dynamax unit up to the 26 to 30 lbs mark with his new rotor biscuits he's making.
Mar 01, 2017, 06:54 PM
Will build for food!!!

Original photos

I thought I'd repost the photos of what she looked like before starting my work. Also the retracts that came with the sale. Robart units with Skymaster struts.
Mar 01, 2017, 07:22 PM
Will build for food!!!

Future paint scheme

These are the two paint schemes I'm leaning towards.
Mar 01, 2017, 07:24 PM
2018 EDF Jet Jam June 14-17
Very cool! I hope you join Usa the EDF Jet Jam in June.
Mar 01, 2017, 07:30 PM
Will build for food!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini
Very cool! I hope you join Usa the EDF Jet Jam in June.
I am planning on it. Have a Blue Angles Scooter that I'm working on right now. Plan on having it done in time to join the fun. I'm planning on registering in a week or two.
He3re's the arf scooter that I picked up two weeks ago. Had a small turbine in here. I'm putting in a EPF 104mm fan on six cells.
Mar 01, 2017, 08:14 PM

I have always liked the desert camo scheme

And yes I am trying to the $$ to get Pars test fan with TP700 which on 14s will get me in the ballpark.
Also my wings have anti rotation dowels at the front into the fuselage, and then glued in a wooden block with a 1/4 tapped hole to use a nylon wing bolt to also secure it to the fuselage.
Roger
Mar 01, 2017, 10:43 PM
Will build for food!!!
Great minds think alike. I am also adding a hard point on the wings to receive some Dubro nylon wing bolts. Some added security while flying.
Mar 02, 2017, 05:05 PM
Will build for food!!!

Woohoo

Sold the old Byron original retracts yesterday to a RCG member and added some funds to my Paypal account. Now I just need to sell more to cover the new T 38 kit I bought. I'll post some shots of the fuselage tonight.
Mar 02, 2017, 05:07 PM
Will build for food!!!

Desert camo scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock50
And yes I am trying to the $$ to get Pars test fan with TP700 which on 14s will get me in the ballpark.
Also my wings have anti rotation dowels at the front into the fuselage, and then glued in a wooden block with a 1/4 tapped hole to use a nylon wing bolt to also secure it to the fuselage.
Roger
That's my current favorite.
Mar 02, 2017, 09:06 PM
Will build for food!!!

It's going slow so far

So here is where I stand on the fuselage as of tonight. Once the paint is all off, then all the grey filler you see.