Low budget D.I.Y RC Sailboat - RC Groups
Feb 28, 2017, 04:29 PM
Build Log

Low budget D.I.Y RC Sailboat

As some of you may know. I've joined this forum to take advice about how to build a low budget boat using "almost everyday" materials. Well I managed to get it done hope you guys like the result... She cruises so nice and fast and costs less then 20$. Some said its impossible and I shoud give up but there she is...

And yes that paintjob is inspired from BMW on the Need For Speed Mostwanted
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2017, 08:58 PM
Modeler/ Historian
That is fantastic! I love it. All for under $20? Amazing.
Mar 01, 2017, 11:52 AM
Thanks. It's all from scrap stuff like: Viks's box, credit cards, Fishing lead, old 470 spinnaker, kite ropes (these covers %90 of the materials I used I just used lego for the rudder and sheet systems and a 6$ made in chine remote car control (no servo just 2 dc motors)

More detailed pictures:
Mar 01, 2017, 05:02 PM
skumgummi dave
gtakaz:

Your sailboat looks great. Have you had a chance to put her in the water?

Dave-
Mar 02, 2017, 02:15 PM
I did but it has a battery life like 15 mins and there was no wind. Also rudder stopped working after 7 mins. I am currently repairing the rudder system. I may have to change the system completely come up with a more efficient one.

But when wind blows she sails fine. I mean fine for a handmade toy designed by precision. I don't know professional standarts
Last edited by gtakaz; Mar 02, 2017 at 03:58 PM.
Mar 03, 2017, 04:02 AM
The main cause of short battery life on a yacht is the driver doing too much driving. Having said that, if the motors are constantly working, that will use a lot of power. A regular servo on the rudder will probably save a lot of battery power. One of the new breed of small winches would help a lot as well. With a drum diameter of 1", a 6 turn one gives about 19" of travel, arranging the deck sheeting to act as a doubler cuts this down to something more appropriate and gives the torque required. They do 4 turn versions as well, but the same overall power is spread over less travel.
Way back when I started with my 20 effort (also 1 metre long) I modified a servo to be a winch. Not fast, not proportional, but very effective.
Mar 03, 2017, 10:45 AM
Actually without servos I have very long life cause there is a worm drive for sheets and it doesnt use any power when sails are set. Also same with rudder spring keeps rudder at neutral position you do 45 degree left or 45 degree right. Compared ta a car that needs continues power to move my sailboat uses too litlle power.

What I mean from batteries went flat was actually it was not enough to move rudder (overcome the force of spring) now I will use a more efficient system. (Perhaps putting a bigger motor with coils instead of magnets so when you stop giving power there is no magnetic force so smaller spring can center the rudder)
Apr 19, 2017, 09:14 AM

Wow, extremely impressed.

This is an amazing boat, and especially at how much it cost to build. Good job. How did you make the lego servo for the rudders, as it needs to be remote controlled? Really intrigued and great creativity.