This thread is privately moderated by Raymond-leflyr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 27, 2017, 08:11 PM
Hey, watch this!
Thread OP
Discussion

A "bright" idea

I went to the BARKS swap meet this weekend. Sold some stuff. Gave away some stuff. Left early. Had a good time. BUT I had a brain storm while I took a pass through the aisles, checking out what other people were selling. One of the things that caught my eye was the number of people who had piles of old two-stroke, glow engines that nobody ever buys.

I too have piles of old two-stroke, glow engines that I know I will never mount in a model or run again. I also know I couldn't sell mine either - so here's my brain "storm" (or fill in another word after you read the rest of this).

I'm thinking of taking a dozen or so of them apart; removing the crank shaft and piston, and drilling through the back-plate to make room for a hollow threaded rod so that I could stack them up to make . . . wait for it . . . a LAMP.

I'm thinking of a spiral type pattern with .60s on the bottom, .40s in the middle, and .25s at the top.

Since I have a few transmitters that are leftovers from when I flew with the Good brothers, I thought that the base made from one would be the cat's pajamas. Actually, I do have an Expert transmitter that would be perfect given its flat, square, boxy shape - and snazzy, non-black color.

I figure I could stick the whole thing together with JB Weld and have something that would become a treasure that my grandchildren would fight over when I leave this earthly realm.

Thinking about it some more on the hour-long ride home, and it occurred to me that I could use the matching Expert receiver for the end of the chain-pull.

But I'm stymied to come up with a proper shade for my new desk lamp. The best I was able to come up with is some airplane-themed shirt material stretched over a regular frame - but that just isn't up to the rest of this scathingly brilliant plan.

Since modesty has never been one of my strong points, you can imagine how difficult it is for me to ask for your help to come up with a suitable idea for the shade - but there it is; can you help me out here?

Tell you what; I'll provide suitable prizes for the top three suggestions. C'mon youse-all, show me what you've got.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2017, 02:38 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing the finished product. Sounds cool to me. Like to make one for my hobby room.
Feb 28, 2017, 12:24 PM
Hey, watch this!
Thread OP
My wife suggested a floor lamp - but alas I don't have that many old engines in the box. I have almost enough Fox Combat Specials and Stunt .35s to make it one manufacturer only. But I'm not ready to give them up yet.
Feb 28, 2017, 04:09 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Raymond-leflyr, I hope you're joking. It would be a shame to scrap these engines in the way you describe. Take a look on eBay; even ratty-looking engines are selling for surprisingly high prices. If you sold them , they would go to someone who hopefully would give 'em a good home!
Feb 28, 2017, 10:03 PM
True but then again he can have a one of a kind lamp built with a lot of memories on those engines. It's not always about the money but then again your comment holds a lot of merit to it. I myself would sell them if someone wanted them.
Mar 01, 2017, 07:39 PM
Hey, watch this!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuorGRC View Post
True but then again he can have a one of a kind lamp built with a lot of memories on those engines. It's not always about the money but then again your comment holds a lot of merit to it. I myself would sell them if someone wanted them.
Yes, thank you for understanding. Those engines have been in a crate shoved in a corner of my attic since the late 80s when we moved to an area where no one flew CL. Now my new club is electric-only (which I don't mind too much, frankly).

I don't want the money. And I don't think I would be depriving too many people of these "treasures" given how many of similar engines I see at swap meets over and over. For what it's worth; I tried hauling my stash to the sales a couple of times. I think I sold a couple for a total of ten bucks. Just not worth it.

So, I will stick with my plan and sometime after I get back in my workshop, I'll drill into a couple of them as a proof of concept. If that doesn't work out, you'll never hear about it. On the other hand, when I die maybe a strange lamp will turn up in the classified here. Watch for it.
Mar 02, 2017, 03:33 PM
Cat Man
You could send a few to me for refurbishment and running. That is what I like to do.
Oct 28, 2017, 08:53 PM
flyin' fool
Should have bought shares in JB Weld.
Oct 29, 2017, 09:04 PM
Hey, watch this!
Thread OP
My latest design concept starts with making a lamp base out of three very similar engines laid down on their back plates with the prop drivers sticking up. Then the "stack" of smaller engines rising up from that in a spiral pattern.

Now all I need the energy to get started.

Quick Reply